|Birthplace:||Roxbury, Massachusetts, USA|
|Death:||Died in Milford, New Haven Co., CT|
|Place of Burial:||Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA|
Son of Dr. Jasper Gunn and Mary "Ann" Christian Gunn
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Jobamah Gunn
About Jobamah Gunn
History of Jobamah Gunn (1637 - 1715-17) · 6 October 2014 · by Garry Bryant
(1637 - 1715/1717)
To date, not much is known about Jobamah Gunn, the second son of Jasper Gunn and Christian ???. His statistics are mentioned above. He married first on 30 October 1663, to Sarah Lane;9 second to Mary Bristol in 1689.10
Jobamah died between 1715 - 1717. Jobamah and Sarah (Lane) Gunn had six children.11
1. Samuel Gunn - Born 15 January 1669/1670, and baptized the next day at Milford. Married to Mercy Smith 11 November 1697/1698. Died 10 September 1749. Five children. He is known as Lieutenant and Captain. 2. Elizabeth Gunn - Born 5 April 1672, at Milford. Married on 9 August 1693, to Joseph Hawkins, Jr., at Derby, Connecticut. (Please see Hawkins family history.) 3. Sarah Gunn - Born 30 March 1674, at Milford, Connecticut. 4. Christian Gunn - Born 3 August 1677, Milford, Connecticut. Married 1st to Henry Botsford on 12 November 1700, 2nd to John Smith on 13 October 1748, and 3rd to Solomon Ferry on 14 June 1757. 5. Abel Gunn - Born 5 May 1680, at Milford, Connecticut. Married to Agnes Hawkins. Three children. 6. Nathaniel Gunn - Born 24 July 1682, at Milford, Connecticut. Married to Ann Hine on 31 May 1711. He died in 1764. Four children.
Jobamah Gunn’s second marriage was to Mary Bristol around 1689, and from this marriage three children were born.
7. Mary Gunn - Baptized 24 May 1691, at Mil-
ford, Connecticut. Married first to Amos Northrup and secondly to Henry Peck as his second wife on 4 July 1729. She died about 1770.
8. Joseph Gunn - Baptized 16 April 1693, at Mil-
ford, Connecticut. Married to Margaret North- rup. Three children.
9. Mehitable Gunn - Born in August 1697.
With this generation the pedigree is diverted to the Hawkins family with the marriage of Elizabeth Gunn to Joseph Hawkins, Junior. But the Gunn’s became a large and influential family in the New Haven County area. The family were large land holders and a community was named after them called Gunntown. However, the cause of the Revolution brought few of the family to come calling at the patriots door, for they were ardent supporters of the King of England along with the Woosters.12
10 Susan Woodruff Abbott, Families of Early Milford, Connecticut. (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1979) P. 318. (FHL-USA/CAN 974.67/M2 D2a.)
11 Donald Lines Jacobus (compiler), Ancient Families of New Haven. (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1974) “Gunn.” (FHL-USA/CAN 974.68 D2j v. 4-6.)
12 Constance McL. Green, History of Naugatuck. (Naugatuck, Connecticut: 1948) Pp. 26 & 31. (FHL-USA/CAN 974.67/NZ H2g).
Born in Roxbury, MA in 1637. Died 1715 or 1717 in Milford, CT. Married first in Milford Sarah Lane, daughter of John, on Oct. 30, 1663 (MVR). She was baptized on Apr 30, 1642. Married second Mary Bristol, daughter of Henry and Lydia (Brown). She was born Sept 1 1661 (NHVR) and baptized Nov 9, 1661 (NHCI).
- Samuel b. Jan 15, 1669
- Elizabeth b. April 5, 1672. Married Joseph Hawkins Jr. in Derby, CT on August 9, 1693.
- Sarah b. March 30, 1674, bpt April 5, 1674. Died 1747. Married Samuel Miles on ov 11, 1698. He was born July 15, 1672 in New Haven, son of Samuel and Hannah (Wilmot). He died in Milford in 1730.
Families of Early Milford, Connecticut by Susan Emma Woodruff Abbott, page 318. Sources are MVR, MCI, NHVR, and NHCI. (Google Books)
Jasper Gunn died in Milford 12 Jan 1670/71 (the new year began in March at that time).
Will of Jasper Gunn ( his father )
The last will & Testament of Jasper Gun of Milford in ye County of Newhaven/ Impr. I give to my son Jobamah a piece of land in ye new field, it is about 40 rod long: and from his side line now brake up to ye comon ffences. I suppose ten acres more or lesse./
Jobamah Gunn, born 1641 in Roxbury, MA; died 1715; married (1) Sarah Lane October 30, 1663 in Milford, Connecticut; born April 17, 1642 in Milford, Connecticut; died Abt. 1689 in milford, Connecticut; married (2) Mary Bristol 1689.
Jobamah Gunn's Timeline
Roxbury, Massachusetts, USA
April 19, 1665
Hartford, Hartford, Conn.
January 15, 1668
Milford, New Haven County, Connecticut, USA
April 5, 1672
Milford, New Haven, Connecticut
March 30, 1674
Milford, New Haven, CT
August 3, 1677
May 5, 1680
Milford, New Haven County, Connecticut Colony
July 27, 1682
Milford, New Haven County, Connecticut Colony