Johann Jacob Ball, UEL

Is your surname Ball?

Research the Ball family

Johann Jacob Ball, UEL's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Related Projects

Johann Jacob Ball, UEL

Birthdate: (77)
Birthplace: Berne, Albany, New York, United States
Death: February 8, 1810 (77)
Grimsby, ON, Canada
Place of Burial: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Niagara Regional Municipality, Ontario, Canada
Immediate Family:

Son of Johan Peter Ball and Anna Margaretha Ball
Husband of Maria Elizabeth Ball
Father of George Alexander Ball; Jacob Henry Ball, UEL; Martha ball; John Washington ball, U.E; Dorothea ball and 5 others
Brother of Anna Dorothea Ball; Catharina Eilsabeth Petri; Johannes Ball; Johann Friedrich Ball; Johann Henrich Ball and 1 other

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Johann Jacob Ball, UEL

Jacob BALL , U.E. was born 9 MAR 1731/32 in Berne, Albany Co., New York, was christened 20 MAR 1732/33 in Sp. Jacob Endes and Elisabeth Sophia , and died 8 FEB 1810 in Grimbsy, buried Locust Grove Farm and then moved to St. Marks Church, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. He was the son of 4. Peter\Johan BALL and 5. Anna MARGARETHA.

About Ball, Jacob, , U.E. Christening: 1732-03-20 Sp. Jacob Endes and Elisabeth Sophia

Religion (denomination): 1750-04-15 joined the Schoharie Reformed Church

!Jacob lived at Renssealers Manor (20 miles from Albany, NY). He had l00acres for which he paid l/10 of profits instead of leasing. He cleared land,built frame house, a barn and a potash works. He stayed on the farm until 1778 although subject to fines and imprisonment. In 1778 he left the farm and joined Butlers Rangers as a lt. If it had not been for Colonel Butler and his Rangers, Canada might have been part of the new United States of America.Fort Niagara, on the east side of the Niagara River, was held by the Britis hand served as a rendez-vous for Loyalists civilians and Rangers alike. From that point, they eventually crossed the river to Niagara, then known as Butlersburg. Before 1776 Niagara Township had been settled by a very few white men and numerous Mississauga Indians; but in the next four years many UEL crossed the river on rafts made from their wagons. They removed the wheels, caulked the floorboards and slid them into the river, thus transporting the wheels, families and what possessions they still had to the west side, called Upper Canada. Some, who had been aristocrats before the war, became poor, hard-working pioneers here. Their journey from their homes in the Mohawk Valley to Fort Niagara was hazardous, not only because of the treat of rebels ready to kill them as traitors, but also because of unfriendly Indians.Land was acquired from the Mississaugas by the Crown and allotted to the UELs. Jacob was given about 1000 acres at Niagara - During the war of 1812 Locust Grove was devastated. On May 27, 1813, the American forces invaded and captured Niagara, and one of the engagements was fought on Balls field, with the ladies looking on from the windows of the house. The house, stables and barns of both Jacob and Peter Ball were completely destroyed. Also, a quantity of valuables which had been sent there for safe-keeping was lost. Loses included also the potash works valued at700 pounds, fifteen horses, thirty head of cattle, and thirty hogs, besides the farm utensils. Mrs. Ball fled on foot to Thorold carrying a child and a small bundle of food an clothes. After the war, claimed 946 pound sterling from the US for losses etc. He received 452 pounds sterling. Butlers Rangers were disbanded in 1784.

Jacob helped establish the Niagara Library along with John Young, John Willson and many more. !(Bio. Sketches of Loyalists of American Revolution by Palmer)

!In 1795 in the district of Nassau (Niagara), Jacob was a Justice of the Common Pleas (Justice of Peace). (History of Niagara by Janet Carnochan) From The Ball Family of Niagara, U.E.L. --------- Jacobs wife and son, during the revolution, were bound by a Bond of 200pounds to quit the premises (Renssealerss Manor) by June 1784. The lands he hadin Schoharie was some he had from his elder brother who is now inpossession. Jacob Ball Sr. went on to state that in Niagara he had 200 acres on the 4mile and 3 mile creeks, Newark (Niagara), also 600 acres in Grantham and in1787 was praying for the 1200 acres remaining due him. He had a wife and 6 children. He was granted land in Grimsby Twp., Caistor Twp. and probably in other Twps. Heand his wife Maria Elizabeth Mann lie buried at their Niagara Farm LocustGrove

The land in Grantham was in concession X, -- lotss 6, 7, 10, ll, 14, 15. Other lands were: Thorold Twp. lot 3 = 100 acres 1802 Caistor twp. lot 9 con 7 also lot 11,20,21 Caistor Twp. lot 15 con 7 1797 Niagara Twp. lot 335 & 333 and 862 acres. inherited Grantham Twp lot 6, 7, 20, 11 con X April 1809 Jacob Ball the younger(Jr. m. to Madalene Zelloner), on 18 Mar 1802granted land in lot 6, Thorold Twp for the use of burying ground and for Church or Chapel of Lutheranand Presbyterian persuasion.... The church built was the German Church withSt. Peters Anglican Church built close by. The first burial in Lakeviewcemetery was in 1886, and in 1926 many graves were transferred from St. Petersgraveyard to Lakeview when the old ground was partially flooded for the Welland Canal. Jacob Ball lived on lot 6 and his son Henry C. Ball is said to have given the land and stone for St. Peters Church. Henry C. Ball also built the first school house in Thorold in 1799 or 1820, of stone; the first teacher was Mr. Rattray

Balls Falls


   The Ball graveyard at Locust Grove has also several generations buried in its enclosure. The Jacob Ball who came with his three sons, bringing forty men, in 1780, lies here. "In memory of Jacob Ball, born 1733, died 1810." Having fought in the Queen's Rangers and Butler's Rangers through the Revolutionary War, he was spared the second contest, dying two years before the war of 1812. The sons, Peter, John and George are buried here. The wife of Jacob Ball, the elder, Mary Ball, died in 1814, aged 78, in the midst of wars alarms and shortly after the family residence had been burnt.
   How strangely occur references to the distant possessions of this vast empire, as here in this quiet country graveyard is buried a daughter of Major McKie, East India Company's service.

Another U. E. L. name is found here: Elizabeth Showers, wife of Peter Ball, born 1764, died 1844. The last interred here was John W. Ball, 1813-1890, for fifty years an office bearer in St. Mark's, the son of George Ball, the fourth son, who came in 1784.

   Peter Ball, 1755-1836; George Ball, 1765-1854; John Ball, died 1822, aged 62 years, also. Catherine Overholt, the wife of George Ball, who died in 1845, aged 59. "Eliza Maria, wife of John W. Ball, and daughter of Rev. Wm. Sampson, of Grimsby, 1818-1856." Margaret, second daughter of George Ball, 1808-1894. It was to George Ball that the nephew of Sir Isaac Brock gave the General's cocked hat, which came out shortly after the death of that commander, and by their descendants is entrusted to the Historical Society.

As background this may be of interest:

view all 14

Johann Jacob Ball, UEL's Timeline

March 20, 1732
Berne, Albany, New York, United States
July 25, 1754
Age 22
Albany, NY, United States
February 24, 1755
Age 22
Berne, NY, United States
December 15, 1756
Age 24
Albany, NY, United States
Age 25
Age 27
Albany, NY, United States
November 20, 1762
Age 30
New York, United States
May 31, 1769
Age 37
Albany, NY, United States
November 13, 1771
Age 39
Albany, NY, United States