Johannes Hermanus Redelinghuys, SV/PROG
|Birthplace:||Brandenburgische Straße, Berlin, Deutschland|
|Death:||Died in Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa|
Son of PN Redelinghuys
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Johannes Hermanus Redelinghuys, SV/PROG
About Johannes Hermanus Redelinghuys, SV/PROG
Alt. birthplace in merge - Bezirk Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Berlin, Berlin, Germany
(In the death notice of his son Jacobus, he is called Johann)
The Cape Town marriage register records him to be 'van den Ham' and his joint will with his wife, dated 1764, declares him to be from 'Ham in 't Brandenburgsche geleegen'. Both these sources normally record birth places.
He is said to have arrived at the Cape on 2nd September 1742 on the ship Beukerhuijsen and to have been employed by the Dutch East India Company as a game-hunter between 1747 and 1749. In the latter year he became a freeburger and was also employed as messenger of the Orphan Chamber and he was still so employed when he made his will in 1764. He died before 6th September 1794 when his will was exhibited at the Orphan Chamber.
He married Johanna Hermina DE VRIES, daughter of Izaak de Vries and his wife Susanna Bosman, in Cape Town on 19th October 1755 and the couple had the following children:
1. Johannes Hendricus Redelinghuys =25 July 1756 +August 1802 in The Hague x 9 July 1780 Maria Elisabeth de Villiers (*1762 +1793 in Amsterdam)
xx Netherlands 23 November 1794 Maria Marosee (+1827 in Paarl).
2. Susanna Redelinghuys *16 October 1759 +20 May 1830 x Evert Heugh (+before 1803)
3. Johannes Hermanus Redelinghuys =29 August 1762 x 18 March 1787 Cornelia Linde.
4. Izaak Redelinghuys =12 August 1764. Not mentioned in his mother's will of 1803 presumably died before that date without leaving children.
5. Maria Elisabeth Redelinghuys =15 December 1765 x Petrus Retief 27 April 1783 (*1751 +4 February 1813 in Paarl).
6. Petrus Johannes Redelinghuys =1 November 1767 He presumably died before 1772 when another child was given the same name.
7. Frederik Redelinghuys =17 September 1769 Not mentioned in his mother's will of 1803 presumably died without children before 1803.
8. Jacobus Redelinghuys *Cape Town =12 February 1770 +13 December 1834 Riebeeck Kasteel x Paarl 25 April 1792 Debora Helena Roodewald(*February 1769 in Wagenmakersvalley +9 December 1846 in Riebeeck Kasteel).
9. Petrus Johannes Redelinghuys =13 September 1772 +18 June 1848 in Cape Town x 2 July 1796 Susanna Margaretha Wessels.
10. Johanna Hermina Redelinghuys *16 January 1774 +23 May 1855 in Paarl x Paarl 2 May 1813 Andries Marthinus Goetz (+before 1855).
1. Marriage Register, Cape Town Archives of the Nederduitse Gerevormeerde Kerk, Cape Town
2. Will of JH Redelinghuys and JH de Vries, 1764. Cape Archives, CJ 2619/37 and MOOC 7/1/39-42.
3. Personalia of the Germans at the Cape 1652 - 1806, by J. Hoge, published 1946 by the Government Printer.
4. Adriaan Redelinghuys of Klerksdorp
5. Geslagsregister van ou Kaapse Families (A.A. Balkema, Cape Town, 1966).
6. Dictionary of South African Biography, page 491.
Game hunter (between 1747 and 1749)
bode van die Weeskamer (1758)
born Ham in 't Brandenburgsche gedeelte
died 8 January 1794
will dated 26 May 1764
and filed 6 September 1794
The Cape Town marriage register records him as 'van den Ham' and his joint will with his wife, dated 1764, declares him to be from 'Ham in 't Brandenburgsche geleegen'. Both these sources normally record birth places.
He is said to have arrived at the Cape on 2nd September 1742 on the ship Beukerhuijsen and to have been employed by the Dutch East India Company as a game-hunter between 1747 and 1749. In the latter year he became a freeburger. (J.Hoge, Personalia of the Germans at the Cape, and Adriaan Redelinghuys of Klerksdorp who, in 2001, was compiling Redelinghuys family register).
During the period 1747 ot 1749 he was a member of the newly created Swartland congregation, so was presumably stationed in that area. The membership register records him as having brought his attestation of church membership from the Duchy of Limburg and that he left for the Cape 10th October 1750.
In June 1758 the Council of Policy approved his employmet as Bode of the Weeskamer in place of Isaak D'Algue and he was still employed as such when he made his will in 1764.
married 19 October 1755 at Cape Town Johanna Hermina de Vries, who died circa 1805.
Johannes Hermanus Redelinghuys, SV/PROG's Timeline
July 25, 1756
Cape Town, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
October 16, 1758
Riviersonderend, Overberg DC, Western Cape, South Africa
August 12, 1764
Kaapstad, Caap de Goede Hoop, Suid Afrika
September 17, 1769
December 2, 1770
Cape, South Africa