Is your surname Archdale?

Research the Archdale family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

John Archdale

Also Known As: "Avondale"
Birthplace: Staffordshire
Death: August 31, 1621 (42)
Immediate Family:

Son of Martin Archdale and Barbara Ayloffe
Husband of Frances Archdale
Father of Edward Archdale; Mary Adams; Ven. John Archdale; Lettice Norris and Unknown Archdale
Brother of Alice Archdale; Anne Archdale; Martin Archdale; Robert Archdale; Daniel Archdale and 2 others

Managed by: Shaun Scott
Last Updated:

About John Archdale

He was admitted to Gray's Inn in 1608. He settled as an "undertaker" after the flight of the Earls of Tyrone and Tyrconnell. he lived at Abbotts Hall,,Darsham,Suffolk, England. he obtained by Letters Patent on 13 July 1612 a grant of land at Tallanagh, Lurg,,County Fermanagh, Ireland. He held the office of High Sherriff of County Fermanagh in 1616. THE ARCHDALES WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY FERMANAGH, WITH 27,410 ACRES

The first of the family of ARCHDALE who settled in Ireland during the reign of ELIZABETH I was

JOHN ARCHDALE, of Norsom, or Norton Hall, in Norfolk.

In 1612 he was granted 1,000 acres of land in County Fermanagh as part of the Plantation of Ulster.

This gentleman, by the inscription over the gateway in the ruinous castle, appears to have erected the old mansion house of Archdale. He married and, dying in 1621, had two sons, EDWARD, of whom we treat; JOHN, vicar of Luske, in 1664. (4) John Archdale 1578 - 1621 All Hallows London. Married Francis Honings 1600 Eye Suffolk England. Then Katherine Temple Notes for John Archdale: He lived at Abotts Hall Darsham, Suffolk, England He was admitted to Grays Inn in 1608. He settled as undertaker after the flight of the Earls of Tyrone and Tyrconnell. On the 3rd of July 1612 he obtained by letters patent, a grant of land at Tallanah, Lurg, County Fermanagh. Ireland. Old Castle Archdale was built on this land in 1615. He also obtained lands at Drumragh, County Tyrone and Curranlurge, County Fermanagh. In 1616 he held the office of High Sheriff of County Fermanagh and lived at Castle Archdale.

Children of John Archdale & Francis Honings:-

1. Edward Archdale b. 15 Apr 1604, = m. Angel Gore
 2. Mary Archdale b. 2 Jan 1605/6, = m. Reverend Randolph Adams
3.  Venerable Martin Archdale b. 24 Jan 1607/8, d. b 1660
4. Venerable John Archdale b. 6 Aug 1610, d. 1674, = m. Elizabeth Donnellan
5. Barbara Archdale b. 17 Oct 1613

During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the effects of the Ulster Plantations were seen. By 1610 the plan for planting Fermanagh was ready. Conor Rua was to be given most of Magherasteffany. The remainder of the county was to be given to three different kinds of land-owners: (i) English and Scottish 'undertakers'; so called because of their undertakings. (ii) Servitors; British army men who had served in Ireland. (iii) Native Irish 'undertakers'.

English undertakers were primarily granted the barony of Lurg. Estates were generally of three sizes: (i) 2,000 acres (ii) 1,500 acres and (iii) 1,000 acres. An 'acre' was described as 'an acre of arable land and multiplied by five', according to the Plantation documents (Livingstone 1969, 63-64).

There were various conditions on which each landowner was granted his estate. 'It was intended that each estate would be a new social and defensive unit. It was to form a parish. The centre of the estate was the manor, a castle surrounded by a wall. Nearby was to be a village where some of the planters' followers could live. Each landlord was to train a number of men to defend the manor. The landlord was to build a church and he himself was to hold court twice a year. The foreign undertakers got their lands for one and one third d. per acre per annum rent. Those who got two thousand acres had to build a strong castle and a bawn around it. Those who got 1,500 and 1,000 acres had to build a strong house surrounded by a bawn. They could take in only British tenants who had to take the Oath of Supremacy. They had to keep a number of armed men and review them twice a year. The landowners

also had to reside in their estates for the first five years' (Livingstone 1969, 64-65).

"West of Tirkennedy and still north of Lough Erne lies the Barony of Lurg. It contains the modern villages of Irvinestown, Ederney, Kesh and Belleek. In later times three main families emerged to control the barony-the Archdales, the Irvines and the Caldwells (later Bloomfields). One English undertaker, Sir John Archdale from Suffolk was granted, in 1612, the 1,000 acre estate of Tallanagh. He was a planter and quickly built a three storied house and a bawn. He had a watermill, two villages and six freeholders when Pynnar visited in 1619. Soon Archdale added the adjoining estate of Dowrosse, with the village of Lissnarick, to his own, and as the years passed the Irish grew fewer on all these lands" (Livingstone 1969, 71-72).

Archdale or Archdall are considered one of Fermanagh's notable families since the Plantation period. The name appears as one of the families of Staffordshire during the War of the Roses. In the 1530s a John Archdale was bailiff of Stafford Borough. His second son, Martin, became merchant in the parish of Barking-by-the-Tower, London, and he also bought a number of estates. Martin's eldest son, John, was born in 1578 and became Master of Abbott's Hall, Darsham. He sold his estate and came to Ireland, having obtained a grant of Manor Archdale in the Ulster Plantation, dated July 13th 1612. He reached Fermanagh in 1614 and began the Archdale family in the county. Castlearchdale derives its name from a castle, now in ruins and built in 1617 on Castle Hill, townland of Bunaninver by John Archdale of Suffolk. The present house was built by Colonel M. Archdale in 1775 (McKay P. 1999, 37). John built Castle Archdale in 1617 and added to his estate considerably, by purchasing land from some of the other planters. He was high sheriff of Fermanagh in 1616 and died in 1621. JOHN ARCHDALE, of Abbots Hall, Darsham, and afterwards of Castle Archdale, Co. Fermanagh, was the eldest son Martin and Barbara Archdale. He was born on December 30th 1578, and was baptised at All Hallows Barking on January 4th following. He inherited his Suffolk property under his father's will. On January 14th 1600-1 he married Frances Honings, and the five children of that union were baptised at Darsham, where he resided until his departure for Ireland.³ John Archdale was admitted to Gray's Inn, February 16th 1607-8. The Suffolk Collection (Additional MSS. 19, 115, f. 87) in the British Museum, contains the following particulars:— 43 Eliz. A special licence to John Archdale, son and heir of Martin Archdale, deceased. 4 James I. John Archdale gent., and Frances his wife, granted . . . . in Darsham, to the use of Robert Nelson of Aldeburgh. 6 James I. Licence to John Archdale gent., and Frances his wife, to alienate the Manor of Abbots in Darsham. The flight and outlawry of the Earls of Tyrone and Tyrconnell prepared the way for the division of their vast estates; and other tracts of escheated land were similarly at the disposal of the British Crown for the purposes of plantation, including Cavan, which was the “ country ” of the O’Reilleys, and Fermanagh, or “ Maguire’s country. ” It is generally admitted that the settlement thus effected, laid the foundation of Ulster’s economic revival. According to the Orders and Conditions of the Plantation, the forfeited lands were to be distributed amongst such of King James’s subjects, “ as being of merit and ability shall seek the same, with a mind not only to benefit themselves, but to do service to the Crown and Commonwealth.”¹ The distribution was made by lot, but care was wisely taken to give grants in the same barony or “precinct” to those who were allied by race or kinship, or who came from the same districts in England and Scotland. Thus in Fermanagh, the barony of Lurg was set apart for settlers from Norfolk and Suffolk, whilst Magheraboy was allotted to Scottish families. Having sold his property at Darsham—apparently to the Bedingfield family, who held it shortly afterwards,—John Archdale went to Ireland, as one of His Majesty’s “undertakers” in the Plantation of Ulster.² By Letters Patent, dated July 13th 1612, he obtained a grant of lands in the barony of Lurg, Co. Fermanagh. These lands were erected into the Manor of Archdale, the following being an abstract of the grant :— The small proportion of Tallanagh, containing the lands of Coilenure, half-quarter or two tates, viz. Coilenure and Knockakasy ; the half-quarter of Tallanaggh, being two tates, viz. Tallanagh and Carrauny; the half-quarter of Coulcoppocky, being two tates, viz. Coulcoppocky and Dromscoole ; the half-quarter of Dromadderdanagh, two tates, viz. Dromadderdanagh and Dromdronyne ; the quarter of Coylaghmore, being four tates, viz. Coylaghmore, two tates, and Dollypatrick, two tates ; the half-quarter of Coylaghbegg, two tates, viz. Coylaghbegg and Lisharra ; Etadd, one tate ; the island of Crewinshaghy in Lougherne, being one tate ; 1000 acres. The parcel of land of Derryroine, being one part of Etadd, and containing 60 acres, is excepted from this grant, for glebe lands. Free fishing in Lougherne. The premises are created the Manor of Archdale, with 300 acres in demesne ; power to create tenures, and to hold a Court Baron. Rent, £5 6s 8d, English. To hold for ever, as of the Castle of Dublin, in common soccage, subject to the conditions of the Plantation of Ulster.³ It should be remembered that the acreage mentioned in the Plantation grants referred to the amount of arable or "profitable" land, to which were added areas of wood and bog. Hence, in most cases, the grantee actually received a more extensive property than his Patent indicated. Although the grant of Tallanagh to John Archdale is dated 1612, he must have received these lands at the distribution in 1610; as in the year 1611 it was found that while he had a thousand acres allotted to him, he did not appear, or anyone for him, and that nothing had been done.4 In fact, it is improbable that he was resident in Fermanagh before 1614 or 1615. In the same proportion there was also a parcel of land not included in the original grant, which was conveyed to John Archdale by Patent, June 14th 1617.5 On his lands of Tallanagh, he built the old Castle of Archdale in the year 1615, as appears by the inscription on the ruin : data fata seqvvtvs. johannes archdale hoc ædficivm strvxit anno domini millessimo sexcentessimo decimo qvinto. Furthermore, in accordance with the requirements of the time, he erected a “bawne,” or fortified enclosure. By an Inquisition held subsequently at Enniskillen, it was found that John Archdale had built on the tate of Coilenure, “one fort or bawne of lime and stone, contayninge 3 score and 6 foote square, everie way, and 12 foote in height, with two flankers in two corners of the bawne, contayninge 15 foote square everie way, and 17 foote in height, there is likewise built upon Killenure [Coilenure], one castle or capitall messuage of lime and stone, adjoining to the foresaid bawne or forte, contayninge 3 score and 10 foote in length and 38 foote in height, andin breadth 28 foote.” The tenure was “in fee and common soccage, and not in capite or by knight's service ” The same Inquisition gives particulars of the freeholders on this estate : “ The said John Archdall did graunt four-and-a-half tates unto William and Thomas Lawton, gentlemen, their heirs and assignes forever. The said John Archdall did grant two tate or half-quarter of land to William Johnson and Owen Griffith, their heirs and assignes, forever. The said John Archdall, by coppie of court-rowle, at a court held for the manor of Tallanagh, did grant one- and-a-half tate, or three parts of half a quarter unto William Johnson and Thomas Clarke, their heirs and assignes ; and half a quarter, being two tates, unto Thomas Moore, Edward Moore¹ and David Byas, their heirs and assignes.” With regard to the lessees : “ The said John Archdall did in his lifetime demise two tates unto Richard Lowther and Thomas Lawton ; also half a quarter, or two tates to Edmund O’Durnine, for one yeare, the said Edmund being a mere Irishman, borne in Ireland, and descended from the stock and lineage of the meere Irish. He also demised the island of Convenishe-Aghie to Donnell O’Connelly, for one yeare, the said Donnell being a meere Irishman.” ² Captain Pynnar made his survey, of Ulster in 1618 and 1619, to ascertain how far the settlers had carried out the conditions of the Plantation. In his report, we read : “John Archdale hath 1000 acres, called Tullana. Upon this proportion there is a bawne of lime and stone, with three flankers 15 feet high ; in each corner there is a good lodging slated, with a house in the bawne, of 80 feet long, and three stories high, and a battlement about it. Himself with his family are there resident. He hath also a water-mill ; and in two several places of his land he hath made two villages, consisting of 8 houses apiece. I find planted and estated upon this land, of British families, Freeholders, six, viz. one having 200 acres, one having 120 acres, two having 40 acres le piece, two having 30 acres le piece. Lessees for years, ten, viz. four having 240 acres jointly, two having 30 acres le piece, one having 60 acres, one having 20 acres, one having 40 acres, one having 15 acres. Cottagers, four, viz. these having each of them a house and one acre of land. And these twenty [families] are able to make forty-two men, and seven of these have taken the Oath of Supremacy.” John Archdale had also 1000 acres called Drumragh, or Dromra, in the barony of Magherboy. The property had been granted in 1610 to James Gibb³, and by him sold to James Hamilton of Keckton, who, on February 26th 1617, “ did give and grant the said Manor of Dromra to John Archdalle, in the county of Fermanagh, Esq, his heires and assignes ; by force and in virtue whereof the said John Archdalle is lawfully seized as of fee-simple, forever.” This estate (which lay along the opposite shore of Lough Erne, adjoining the proportions of Sir John Hume and Robert Hamilton), contained the townlands of Drumskewly, 4 tates ; Cavankeile, 4 tates ; Dromrra or Drumnaratha, 4 tates ; Moyfadda, two-thirds of a tate; Drumdown, 2 tates ; Urrish, one tate ; and the islands of InishMcMoyle and Cassill, one tate; with free fishing in Lough Erne. The premises had been erected into the Manor of Dromra, with 300 acres in demesne, the rent being £5 6s 8d. Pynnar reported that “ John Archdale Esq. hath 1000 acres, called Drumragh. Upon this proportion there is a bawne of lime and stone, 60 feet square, 12 feet high, with two flankers, and a house now in building, it being about the first story. I find planted and estated upon this land, of British families, Freeholders, six, viz, one having 140 acres, one having 120 acres, one having 100 acres, two having 40 acres le piece, one having 4 acres and a tenement. Lessees for years, five, viz. one having 120 acres, one having 140 acres, one having 80 acres, one having 20 acres, one having 40 acres. Cottagers, three, viz. each of these has a tenement and four acres a piece, for commons for cows. Total, 14 families, all resident on the land, who have taken the Oath of Supremacy, being able to make 26 men armed. Here is some tillage.” The name “Archdalestown,” which appears in records of the period, refers doubtless to a cluster of cottages near one of the houses built by John Archdale4. In the grant of 1612, itwas stipulated that the tenants’ houses should, for the sake of security, be built in a group (vicinatim) and not in a scattered manner (sparsim). By indenture, dated May 31st 1615, John Archdale purchased the lands of Curran- lurge, in Fermanagh, from Captain Philip Griffith of Enniskillen, “ for a competente some of lawfull Englishe money.” The purchaser’s father-in-law, Sir William Temple, was one of the four witnesses to this deed, which is one of the oldest in the possession of the family. ¹ It appears that this property passed into the possession of John’s next brother, Martin Archdale ; for by another deed, dated June 10th 1617, Martin sold Curranlurge to his elder brother for the sum of £412. It is not unlikely that the death of his brother Samuel, as well as of Lady Ayloffe in the same year occasioned the sale by Martin Archdale of his Fermanagh property, and his return to England. John Archdale served as High Sheriff of Fermanagh in 1616, and died on August 31st 1621. He was, by that time, lord of the two proportions, Tallanagh (or Archdale) and Drumragh, in the baronies of Lurg and Magheraboy respectively, each proportion containing its fortified manor house ; with 240 acres adjoining in the former barony, comprising the lands of Curranlurge. The Phillips MS, written a century later, states that the property thus acquired in Fermanagh contained “ many pleasant and fertile Islandes, excellent soyle for stood mares, for fattening oxen or weaders ; ye woods whereof might purchase a considerable estate.” John Archdale married firstly, at Eye, Suffolk, on January 14th 1600-1 Frances, eldest surviving daughter of Edward Honings, of Carlton, Darsham and Eye, and great-granddaughter of Sir Anthony Wingfield, Knight of the Garter. By her, who was buried at Darsham on January 29th 1613-14, he had five children :— 1. Edward Archdale, of whom presently. 2. Martin Archdale (Ven.), baptised at Darsham, January 24th 1607-8. He became a Scholar at Trinity College, Dublin, May 1623 ; was Rector of Straboe, in the diocese of Leighlin, in 1634-5 ; and was collated Archdeacon of Ferns, February 28th 1639-40. In the Rebellion of 1641, he lost property amounting to £1104, and his livings, worth £200 a year (MS. Trin. College, Dublin, F. 2. 11). He died before 1660. 3. John Archdale (Ven.), ancestor of the collateral Irish branch of the family (see Chap. IV) 1. Mary Archdale, baptised at Darsham, January 2nd 1605-6 ; married the Rev. Randolph, or Randal Adams, of Mullingar, and had issue (see Monumental Inscription, Appendix E). 2. Barbara Archdale, baptised at Darsham, October 17th 1613. John Archdale;s second wife, Katherine, was the eldest daughter of Sir William Temple, Provost of Trinity College, Dublin, and a sister of Sir John Temple, master of the Rolls in Ireland. Mrs. Archdale was an aunt of Swift’s friend and patron, Sir William Temple of Moor Park. She married, secondly, Sir John Veel (or Vell), by whom she had, with other issue, a son Cary Veel. She died on November 13th 1642, and was buried at St. Werburgh’s Dublin, on the 15th. According to the Funeral entry of Katherine, his second wife, John Archdale had by her, “ divers children, but they are all dead.” One of these, Lettice Archdale, married Tobias Norris, of Dublin, and died on October 28th 1642.

view all

John Archdale's Timeline

December 30, 1578
January 4, 1579
All Hallows, Barking, London
April 1604
Darsham, Suffolk, England
January 1606
Darsham, Suffolk, England
February 16, 1608
Age 29
Admitted to Gray's Inn
August 6, 1610
Darsham, Suffolk, England
Caravan Park, County Fermanagh, Ulster, Ireland
August 31, 1621
Age 42