Matching family tree profiles for John Austin, Sr.,
About John Austin, Sr.,
From: http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:John_Austin_%2821%29 (with additions)
1647 - New London, CT (EAM, pp. 0,1,2).
After 1651: Greenwich Ct. (EAM, pp. 0,1,2)
Later: Stamford, CT (EAM, pp 0,1,2) 6 Oct 1656:
John Austin was one of eleven Greenwich men who acknowledged allegiance to New Haven Jurisdiction to constitute Stamford, Conn. Colony.
Greenwich during the 1650s was posing problems of its own. As we have seen, the residents there were divided in their loyalties. Some had depended on the Dutch; others, such as Richard Crab and Robert Husted, had considered themselves part of the Stamford community. There was no defining boundary between Stamford and Greenwich so that in the records there sometimes appears a phrase defining a man's home as near or in one or the other. One man's home so referred to was Abraham Frost's, which was despoiled by the Indians and his family kidnapped.16 Greenwich was not a well-knit community. In the eyes of the Stamford people, those settlers were an undisciplined lot. No doubt some men did move there from Stamford seeking a measure of freedom from public scrutiny. It was claimed that runaways were sheltered in Greenwich, drunkenness and illegal marriages were reported, and the righteous men of Stamford complained that the men of Greenwich pastured their animals as they pleased on the commons of Stamford.17 The deputies, Law and Bell, presented their grievances to the New Haven court, whose members agreed that Greenwich must be brought to heel. A letter was prepared, which Bell and Law delivered; it demanded a list of the male citizens. After ignoring the letter for as long as possible, the Greenwich men bowed to the inevitable, sent in their list in October 1656, and thereafter grudgingly accepted the fact that they were a part of Stamford and under New Haven's jurisdiction. [The Early Settlement of Stamford, Connecticut; 1641-1700; FHL Book #: 974.69/Sl.H2m PG:41.] May 23, 1673, granted four acres of land at Clapboard Hill, or somewhere on the east side of the Mianus River. Both Henry Ackerley and John Austin were carpenters, judging by the number of woodworking tools in their inventories. They lived in Greenwich, John Austin was not so well off as Ackerley, his estate totaling only seventy-eight pounds. He had a wife Katherine (or "Catern"), a son Samuel, who died a month after his father, and probably two other sons and a daughter. No furniture except for bedding and three chests is listed; so presumably Catherine had brought some of her possessions to the household. It looks as though John supplied the community with tobacco as he had not only a number of hogsheads of tobacco but also a tobacco wheel with bowls and trays. He also had one odd item: an otter skin.
 ▼ Legacy It appears that John Austin was one of twelve men who died (from a Malaria epidemic?) in 1657 and 1658, leaving twelve widows in a female-deprived colony, nine of whom remarried, including Katherine Austin who married William Hubbard of Greenwich.
The inventory of the estate of John Austin was taken by Richard Law and Angel Huested on 5 Sep, 1657. It was presented to the court on May 13, 1658 at Stamford by his Widow Katherine, May 13, 1658, amounting to 78 pounds, 8 shillings and 4 pence. The estate owed John Green and Richard Webb, William Hubbard declared to Mr. Law and John Holly that he had paid a debt of John Austin to Daniel Law, p 72. (Fairfield, CT Probate records: Vol 2 1665-1675 p13. Vol 5 1702-1750 pp 72, 218. Vol 3 1675-1690 p42.)
His wife remarried William Hubbard (Hubbert) and died about 1683. His property was then divided among his children in 1683/4. In 1683, John Austin, Thomas Austin, and Elizabeth (Austin) Finch all of Greenwich, gave receipts for having received from their father-in-law (stepfather) William Hubbard, their portion of their deceased fathers estate, as John Austin died 1657 and his children received their portions 1683, it is evident that the mother held possession of the property during her lifetime.
Text of Will (Inventory?) of John Austin FHL Film #: 899,939; PG:25/26 PG:74/75: 
of Jo. As____,taken by Rich Law & ________ xth; L. S. D. ( ) house & land .12. 0. .0 ( ) a Matteke, 3 axes, 3 hammers 2 hows.01. 0. 0 ( )3 augers, wry bit a narrow chisle.00. 5. 0 It. a plaine pancers, a ke tines & small iron.00. 4. 6 It. A tobaca wheele, bowls & traice.00. 9. 0 It. 2 old sithes, one ring; one nib; small cros cut sa .06. 8. 6 It 3 base cittles, a iron pot & hookes .00. 17. 8. It A fowling peace & rapier.02. 00. 0 It 3 chests .00. 12. 0 It Bed g .03. 00. 0 It Pueter.00. 15. 0 It Cle , sute & too hats .03. 05. 0 ( ) too old books, an otter skin.00. 14. 0 ( ) .00. 06. 0 ( )ask 4 hogsheads.00. 19. 0 ( ) & flax .01. 10. 0 ( ) lbs wheat.00. 13. 6 ( ) heads tobaca .04. 00. 0 ( ) xu stuff .00. 10. 0 ( ) cows .10. 00. 0 ( )heffers.08. 00. 0 ( )yearling & one more yearling.03. 10. 0 ( )x steer .04. 10. 0 ( )bushells wheat.05. 12. 6 ( ) bushells pease.02. 02. 0 ( )swine .06. 00. 0 ( )tobaca .05. 00. 0 ( )pe stockings, horses & shot.00. 04. 0 ( )tin, Debtors & Astin, Creditor L.S.D./ ( )ngell Husted 1.1.0 /p Jo. Green 0. 11. 0 /p. Rich Webb 1. 00. 0 ( )win upon other by ( )ddow} Caterin Astin ( )May 1658 r } ( )ill Hubberd declared to Goodman Law & ( )olly (May ye 21) yt he had oayed a debt of ( ) astines unt, Daniell Lane to Ye values ( ) thirteen pounds or thereabout.
Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's Register. (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co, 1860-1862), 1:80.
JOHN, New London 1647, rem. after 1651, to Greenwich, next in few yrs. to Stamford, there d. 25 Aug. 1657, leav. wid. Catharine, s. Samuel wh. d. soon after his f. d. Elizabeth wh. m. a. 1670, Joseph Finch; and perhaps John, wh. was a landholder 1687-1701 both in G. and S.
Rev. Elijah Baldwin Huntington. History of Stamford, Connecticut: From Its Settlement in 1641, to the Present Time: Including Darien Which Was One of its Parishes Until 1820. (Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, United States: Author, 1868), 49.
AUSTIN, JOHN, was one of the eleven Greenwich men who, in 1656, acknowledge allegiance to the New Haven jurisdiction, to constitute part of the Stamford colony. The name is usually spelled Astin and Aston, on the records. A son of his, Samuel, died here in 1657, the year, also, of his own death. His inventory, taken by Richard Law and Angell Husted, Sept 5, 1657, was presented in court in Stamford, by his widow " Katherine Astine," May 13, 1658. It amounted to £78 8s. 04d. Several of this name arc reported on the land records during the first century of the town.
Caulkins, Frances Manwaring. History of New London, Connecticut: from the first survey of the coast in 1612 to 1852. (New London Conn.: F.M. Caulkins, 1852), 59.
We turn to the record of house-lots, and the names of the first planters. It is plain that no grants had been recorded before 1647, but many of the planters were before this in actual possession of lots. When therefore, they were confirmed and registered, reference was occasionally made to the fence that inclosed the lot, or the house built upon it. The homelots were originally numbered up to thirty-eight; but erasures and alterations were made, reducing the names of grantees to thirty-six; of these, the first six are missing, and several of the remainder are partially erased, but by comparison with subsequent records, the whole thirty-six can be ascertained. John Austin ("at the top of the hill called Meeting-house Hill, by a little run of fresh water,"). PG:61: These grants being settled, the other planters drew lots for their shares on the 17th and 31st of January, 1648-9. From these lots we obtain two catalogues of those who may be considered as first comers. "A division of lands on the east side of the Great River of Pequoet, north of Mr. Winthrop's lot." The list contains but eighteen names: the shares were of twenty, thirty and forty acres. The division of Poquonuck plain was in lots of the same average size, and the numbers of grantees twenty-two, viz: Austin. These were undoubtedly all actual residents of the town plot at that time, and expecting to cultivate the land the next season; but Austin disappeared from the plantation, forfeiting or selling his grants. (Poquanuck is the name of a small stream which runs south through Groten and enters a cove or creek of the sound, about two miles east of the Thames. The name is also applied to the village and plain in its vicinity, but, it is now generally written Pequonuck. The aboriginal (name of Windsor and a part of Stratford was similar.)
Hurd, D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton). History of New London County, Connecticut: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men. (Philadelphia), p364. Moore, Edith Austin. John Austin of Greenwich, Connecticut. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971), 0,1,2. Stamford births, marriages, deaths, 1641-1852, Barbour collection, Connecticut State Library, 1925. (s.n., 197-?), 110. Fairfield, Connecticut, United States. Abstract of Probate Records at Fairfield, County of Fairfield, and State of Connecticut, 1648-1757, 5/13, 48a.
Don't want ads?
John Austin, Sr.,'s Timeline
November 12, 1615
New Haven, New Haven , Connecticut
Stamford, New Haven Colony
August 24, 1657
Connecticut, Connecticut Colony