John Bailey, of Newbury
|Also Known As:||"John Bailey Jr."|
|Birthplace:||Chippenham, Wiltshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||Belleview Cemetery, Newbury, Essex County, MA|
Son of John Bailey and Eleanor Bailey
|Managed by:||Private User|
About John Bailey, of Newbury
Came with his father on the ship "Angel Gabriel". He was a weaver and received land in Newbury, MA in 1640.
1. Hollis R. Bailey, Bailey Genealogy: James, John and Thomas and Their Descendants (1899).
2. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Ancestral File (TM) (July 1996 (c), data as of 2 January 1996), Family History Library, 35 N West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84150 USA.
3. Sidney Perley, Editor, Essex Antiquarian (The) (Reprint 1988, Anundusen Publishing CO., Decorah, Ia.), Vol. V pg. 123. "Descendants of John Bailey of Slaisbury. John Bailey of Salisbury was a weaver, and is said to have come from CHippenham, WIltshire, ENgland, in the ship Angel Gabriel, having sailed from Bristol in APril, 1635. He was cas away at Pemaquid (now Bristol, Me.) in the great storm of Aug. 15, 1635. His wife did not come, and his son John was the only one of his children that came. He was living in Salisbury in 1640, and removed to Newbury in the spring of 1651. In Newbury he was a yeoman; and he died there Nov. 2, 1651, being called "Old John Bailey" In his will he mentions "my brother John EMery, Jr. of Newbury, overseer;" and devised his homestead in Salisbury to his son John. children listed: John, RObert and 2 daus.
John Bailey born in England about 1613. He was first a weaver, and subsquently a husbandman. He lived in Salsibury, where he afterwards lived, being on of the selectmen in 1664. He married Eleanor Emery about 1640; and was made a freeman in 1669. His wife was engaged in the practice of mid-wifery in 1669 and 1670. He died in March 1690-1; and she remained his widow, administration being granted on her estate Dec. 23, 1700. Children listed: Rebecca, John, Sarah, Joseph, James, JOshua, Iass, JOshua, Rachel and Judith."
Descendants of John Bailey, Sr. of Salisbury, MA through the Revolutionary Patriot Joshua Bailey of MA As follows;
4. Joshua Bailey (May 11, 1757-Mar. 15, 1809) m. Mar. 18, 1780 Sarah Chase (Jan. 10, 1761-aft. 1796)
5. Joshua Bailey (Apr. 7, 1712-Sept. 29, 1786) m. Sept. 4, 1734 Elizabeth Chase (Jan. 2, 1719-Sept. 29, 1786)
6. Joshua Bailey (Oct.30, 1685-Oct. 6, 1760) m. Feb. 4, 1706 Sarah Coffin (May 16, 1686-Nov; 7, 1768)
7. Isaac Bailey (July 22, 1654.Apr. 26, 1740) m. (first) June 13, 1683 Sarah Emery (Feb. 26, 1660/61-Apr. 1, 1694)
8. John Bailey, Jr. (c.1613-bet. Dec.30, 1690 and Mar.31, 1691) m. 1640 Eleanor Emery (d.bef. Sept. 23, 1700)
9. John Bailey, Sr. (c1590-Nov. 2, 1651) m. 2nd. Eleanor Knight (1587-1655) Born and Died in Eng.
John Bailey, Sr., came to America in the ship Angel Gabriel to Newbury, Massachusetts. His son, John, Jr., accompanied him. They both were founders of Salisbury, Massachusetts, in 1640.
Joshua Bailey (1757-1809) enlisted as a private in Capt. John Noyes' Co., Col. Samuel Johnson's Regiment of Massachusetts Troops, in 1777.
- Name: John BAILEY
- Surname: Bailey
- Given Name: John
- Sex: M
- Birth: 22 Jul 1613
- Death: 16 Mar 1691 in Newberry, Essex, Massachusetts
Father: John BAILEY b: 1590 in Chippenham, Wiltshire, Salisbury, England
Mother: Eleanor KNIGHT b: 1587 in Chippenham, Wiltshire, Salisbury, England
Marriage 1 Eleanor EMERY b: 7 Nov 1624 in Romsey, Hampshire, England c: 7 Nov 1624 in Romsey, Hampshire, England
* Married: 22 May 1640 in Chippenham, Wilts, England
1. Rebecca BAILEY b: 24 Nov 1641 in Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts
2. John BAILEY b: 18 May 1643 in Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts
3. Sarah BAILEY b: 17 Aug 1644 in Newbury, Essex, Maine
4. Joseph BAILEY b: 14 Apr 1648 in Newberry, Essex, Massachusetts
5. James BAILEY b: 12 Sep 1650 in Salem Village, Essex, Massachusetts c: in Newberry, Essex, Massachusetts
6. Joshua BAILEY b: 17 Feb 1652 in Newberry, Essex, Massachusetts
7. Isaac BAILEY b: 22 Jul 1654 in Newberry, Essex, Massachusetts
8. Joshua BAILEY b: 20 Apr 1657 in Newberry, Essex, Massachusetts
9. Rachel BAILEY b: 19 Oct 1662 in Newberry, Essex, Massachusetts
10. Judith BAILEY b: 13 Aug 1665 in Newberry, Essex, Massachusetts
11. Jonathan BAILEY b: 31 Aug 1670 in Rowley, Essex, Massachusetts
John Bailey, of Newbury's Timeline
July 22, 1613
Chippenham, Wiltshire, England
December 19, 1613
Bromham, Wiltshire, England
November 24, 1640
May 18, 1643
Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts
August 17, 1644
Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
April 4, 1648
Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts
September 12, 1650
Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
July 22, 1654
Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
possible conflict of birth dates the alternative being 1658