|Birthplace:||Salem, Essex, Massachusetts|
|Death:||Died in Wenham, Essex, Mass|
Son of Joseph Batchelder; Joseph Batchelder; Elizabeth Batchelder and Batchelder
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
Matching family tree profiles for John Batchelder
About John Batchelder
- John Batchelder
- Birth: 1636 Wenham, Essex County, Massachusetts, USA
- Death: Dec. 17, 1698 Wenham, Essex County, Massachusetts, USA
- IMPORTANT: burial in this cemetery is presumed, not proven.
- Father: Joseph Batchelder, b.~1611, d.????.
- Mother: Elizabeth [Surname?], b.~1613, d.????.
- b. ~1636 (estimated)
- d. unknown, Wenham, Essex Co., MA.
- m1. 12-Jul-1661 to Mary Dennis, b.~1638, d.26-Jun-1665.
- m2. May 4, 1666, Mary Goodale, b.~1648, d.after 1682 (estimated).
- John, son of ... (Joseph Batchelder AKA Batcheller) resided in Wenham, m1. July 12, 1661, Mary Dennis, by whom he had one son, Joseph, she died June 26, 1665, m2. May 4, 1666, Mary Goodale, by whom he had John; Mark; Ebenezer; Elizabeth; Hannah; Mary; Sarah; and David.
- SOURCE (Google Books): "History of the town of Sutton, Massachusetts, from 1704 to 1876", page 587-88, by: W.A ..., by: W Charles Benedict, Hiram Averill Tracy.
- CHILDREN (with Mary Dennis):
- i. Joseph Batchelder, b.1662, d.1720, m.1684 to Sarah [Surname?], b.????, d.????.
- CHILDREN (with Mary Goodale):
- i. John Batchelder, b.~1668, d.????.
- ii. Mark Batchelder, b.~1670, d.????.
- iii. Ebenezer Batchelder, b.~1672, d.????.
- iv. Elizabeth Batchelder, b.~1674, d.????.
- v. Hannah Batchelder, b.~1676, d.????.
- vi. Mary Batchelder, b.~1678, d.????.
- vii. Sarah Batchelder, b.~1680, d.????.
- viii. David Batchelder, b.~1682, d.09-Jan-1766, m.1709 to: Susanna Whipple, b.~1690, d.13-Jun-1764.
- Family links:
- Joseph Batchelder (1611 - ____)
- Elizabeth Dickinson Batchelder (1614 - 1675)
- Mary Goodale Batchelder (1648 - ____)*
- David Batcheller (1682 - 1766)*
- John Batchelder (1636 - 1698)
- Hannah Batchelder Warner (1644 - 1687)**
- *Calculated relationship
- Burial: Wenham Cemetery, Wenham, Essex County, Massachusetts, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 109585213
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=109585213
- BATCHELDER, John
- b. 20 JAN 1637/8 Salem, Essex, Mass.
- d. 17 NOV 1698
- Father: BATCHELDER, John
- Mother: DICKINSON, Elizabeth
- Marriage: 12 JUL 1661 Salem, Essex, Mass.
- Spouse: DENNIS, Mary
- b. 3 JUL 1642 Wenham, Essex, Mass.
- d. 26 JUN 1665 Wenham, Essex, Mass.
- BATCHELDER, Joseph
- Marriage: 4 MAY 1666
- Spouse: GOODALE, Sarah
- b. 31 MAY 1640 Salem Village, Essex, Mass.
- d. 22 MAR 1729/30 Wenham, Essex, Mass.
- Father: Goodale, Robert
- Mother: Catherine,
- BATCHELDER, John
- BATCHELDER, Hannah b. ABT 1668 Wenham, Essex, Mass.
- BATCHELDER, Mary b. ABT 1670 Wenham, Essex, Mass.
- BATCHELDER, Sarah b. ABT 1672 Wenham, Essex, Mass.
- BATCHELDER, Ebenezer
- BATCHELDER, David
- BATCHELDER, Elizabeth
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_34.htm#5
- Batcheller genealogy. Descendants of Rev. Stephen Bachiler, of England ... who settled the town of New Hampton, N.H., and Joseph, Henry, Joshua and John Batcheller of Essex Co., Mass by Pierce, Frederick Clifton
- .... etc.
- 1. ——— BATCHELLER, b. in England; m. ——— ——— ; they both died in England, res. near Canterbury, Eng.
- 2. i. JOSEPH, b. England; m. Elizabeth ——— .
- 3. ii. HENRY, b. England; m. Martha ——— .
- 4. iii. JOSHUA, b. England; m. ——— .
- 5. iv. JOHN, b. England, about 1610; m. Mary ——— and Elizabeth Herrick.
- 2. HON. JOSEPH BATCHELLER, b. Canterbury, England; m. in England, Elizabeth ——— . He was born in England and emigrated to America in 1636, coming from Canterbury. He came with his wife, Elizabeth, one child and three servants, and brothers Henry and John. He settled first in Salem and later in Wenham. He was made a freeman in 1637, was deputy to the General Court in Boston in 1644, being the first representative from the town of Wenham. The inventory of his estate taken March 31, 1657, is on file in the Salem probate office in a very mutilated condition. In a list headed "A true roll or list of names, surnames, and qualities of all such persons who have taken passage from the town and port of Sandwich for the American plantations, since the last certificate of such passengers returned into the office of Dover castle. Henry Bachelor of Dover, brewer, and Martha, his wife, 4 servants. Joseph Bachelor of Canterbury, taylor, and Elizabeth, his wife, 1 child, 3 servants. John Bachelor, of Canterbury, taylor." The church at Wenham was organized Oct. 8, 1644, and Joseph Batcheller was one of the members. His wife, Elizabeth, was admitted to membership on the 17th of November, 1644. His brother, John Bachelor, from Canterbury, Kent Co., came to Salem in the same vessel at the same time. In the record of a case of church discipline in the Wenham church, occurs this: "In ye mesne space it pleased God to take to himself brother Batchel. , a man wise, moderate, and very able to be helpful in such cases." — Church record, pp. 84. "He was a prominent and useful man in the plantation." — History of Wenham, pp. 28 and 29. "Goodman Batcheller he was often called. This was a common appellation among the men, about 1640 and thereabouts, excepting when they addressed their minister, magistrate or any militia officer of higher grade than lieutenant, to whom they applied the title of "Mister." "Goodwife" or "Goody" were the terms applied to women excepting when they addressed the wives of those before mentioned, whom they called "Madam." and the appelation, Mrs., was placed before names of both married and unmarried women when it was written. On the inventory it is written that he died ten years ago, which would make it that he died in 1647. His son, Mark, settled his estate. Mark Batcheller was appointed administrator of the estate of his father. Referred to Salem Court to take further order thereon, March, 1657, Ipswich County Court. Mark Batcheller, who setled the estate of his father and mother is to pay his brother John £15 when he shall accomplish the age of 21 years ; to his sister Elizabeth £15, when she shall accomplish the age of 18 years or marry; and to his sister Hannah £15, when she shall accomplish the age of 18 years or marry. Wenham, Mass., where he resided, was the last of the seven towns in Essex Co. that was set off from Salem, and is situated about twenty-two miles northeast of Boston. The general surface of the country is level, the soil fruitful, well watered and productive. In olden times the village of Wenham was recorded as remarkable for its quiet Arcadian beauty, and its principal lake has obtained celebrity for the purity of its waters. The town was incorporated in 1643. Its settlers and principal inhabitants, like those of most of the older towns, were Puritans, taken from the great middle class of Englishmen, who have always been the backbone of the nation. Intelligent, religious, hardy and industrious, they were undoubtedly the best as to character of any emigrants ever brought to this country. Their influence in shaping the destiny of the nation is apparent in the high rank Massachusetts has always taken among her sister states. He d. March, 1647; res. Salem and Wenham, Mass.
- 6. i. MARK, b. in Wenham; killed Dec. 19, 1675. Mark Batchellor was admitted freeman May 27, 1665. .... etc.
- 7. ii. JOHN, bap. Jan. 20, 1638; m.Mary Dennis and Sarah Goodale.
- 8. iii. ELIZABETH, b. —— ; m. Oct. 6, 1666, James Davis, of Salem.
- 9. iv. HANNAH, bap. June 23, 1644; m. April 20, 1665, John Warner. He was b. Ipswich, in 1642; d. there April 10, 1712. She was "niece of Henry Batcheller, who died seized of considerable real estate in Ipswich." John Warner was one of the administrators of Henry's estate in 1683. Hannah d. March 10, 1688, and he m. 2d, in 1691, Mary Prince, wid. of John, of Salem; res. Ipswich, Mass. Ch.: .... etc.
- 7. JOHN BATCHELLER (Joseph), bap. First Church in Salem, Jan. 20, 1638; m. July 12, 1661, Mary Dennis; d. June 26, 1665; m. 2d, May 4, 1666, Sarah Goodale, dau. of Robert, of Salem; d. March 22, 1729.
- John Batcheller was one of the jury that tried the famous witchcraft cases in Salem. With the other members of the Jury, in 1692 he signed a statement asking forgiveness for the error of their judgment. .... etc.
- .... He d. Nov. 17, 1698; res. Wenham, Mass.
- 20. i. JOSEPH, b. 1662; m. Sarah —— .
- 21. ii. JOHN, b. Jan. 13, 1666; m. Hannah Tarbox, Anne —— and Sarah —— .
- 22. iii. MARK. b. May 1668; d. infancy in 1678.
- 23. iv. ELIZABETH, b. in 1675; m. 1696 Thomas Millett, of Ipswich. I think he was son of John of Gloucester and that he was b. Nov. 23, 1671. His grandfather was Thomas, of Gloucester, who was there in 1642.
- 24. v. EBENEZER, b. 1670; m. Sarah Tarbox.
- 25. vi. HANNAH.
- 26. vii. MARY.
- 27. viii. SARAH.
- 28. ix. DAVID, b. 1673; m. Susannah Whipple.
- 10. SERGT. JOHN BATCHELDER (Joshua), .... etc.
- Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of ..., Volume 3 edited by William Richard Cutter
- Pg. 1471
- .... etc.
- His wife, whom he married March 19, 1730, was Hannah Batchelder, of Wenham, born May 1, 1709, daughter of John and Hannah (Tarbox) Batchelder, granddaughter of John and Mary (Dennis) Batchelder, and great-granddaughter of Joseph Batchelder, of Canterbury, Kent county, England, who came to Salem with his wife Elizabeth, one child and three servants and settled in Salem in 1636, removing soon afterward to Wenham and made a permanent settlement there.
Includes NotesNotes for John Batchelder:
A John Bachelder was a juror in the Salem Witch Trial in 1692and was one of the jurors who signed a Declaration of Regret for the part they had borne in the trial, according to Author Charles W. Upham in "Salem Witchcraft, Vol II.
John Bachelder is the same person as John Batchelder who was married to Mary Herrick in August 1673, anf he is the 9th great grandfather of Lenore Aubrey Grebles
Mary Herrick was the daughter of Zacharie Herrick, son of Henry Herrick (1604) and grandson of Sir William Herrick. Lenore Aubrey Grebles is the 11th great granddaughter of Sir William Herrick. Lenore's husband, Barent LeRoy Grebles, Jr. is the 11th great grandson of Sir William Herrick; Inasmuch as Zacharie Herrick was the brother of Henry Herrick (1640), who was the 9th great grandfather of Barent LeRoy Grebles, Jr. then Zacharie is the 9th great uncle to Barent. Therefore, Barent and Lenore are first cousins, 9th times removed. Yo creo que si!
The Batchelder family variously spelled their surname as BACHILER, BACHELOR, BACHELDER, BATCHELOR AND BATCHELDER according to CD 113, lst edition, Misc. Emigrant Ancestors on screen 28 of 841. The spelling BACHILER was the spelling of the name of one of the jurors of the 1692 Salem Witchcraft Trial according to this same source. John Bachiler was one of the jurors who recanted the conviction of the women and men in the trial, as was Henry Herrick also a Juror who also recanted the conviction.
John Batchelder's Timeline
January 20, 1637
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts
January 20, 1638
Wenham, Essex, Mass
January 20, 1638
Wenham, Essex, MA
January 30, 1638
May 25, 1645
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
January 13, 1666
January 13, 1666
Wenham, MA, USA