John Buchanan, Laird of Lany
|Birthplace:||Buchanan, Stirlingshire, Scotland|
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
Son of Sir Walter Buchanan, 11th Chief of Buchanan and Margaret Beauchamp
|Managed by:||Scott Rogers|
Matching family tree profiles for John Buchanan, Laird of Lany
About John Buchanan, Laird of Lany
Chiefs of Clan Buchanan
- 11th – Sir Walter Buchanan, (Guthrie Smith identifies him as 5th Chief and Buchanan of Auchmar identifies him as 11th Chief) married Margaret and had three sons (Walter his successor, Alexander who reputedly killed the Duke of Clarence at the battle of Beaugé in 1421 and who later died in the battle of Verneuil in 1424, and John [Buchanan of Auchmar identifies him as 12th Chief ] who married Janet the heiress of Leny and was the first ancestor of the cadets of Leny) and two daughters (Elizabeth and Jean).
- Stirnet - Buchanan01
- ((1)) Maurice Buchanan, 10th of Buchanan (a 1320)
- m. (Margaret ?) Mentieith (dau of William Menteith of Rusky)
- ((A)) Walter Buchanan, 11th Buchanan (a 1373)
- BLG1952 and 'Strathendrick' disagree on a number of items over the next few generations. for example: BLG reports that the John Buchanan who married Janet de Lany was the eldest son of Walter, 11th laird, and was himself 12th laird. We follow 'Strathendrick'.
- m. Margaret
- ((i)) Walter Buchanan, 12th of Buchanan
- m1. ??
- m2. Isobel Stewart (dau of Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke of Albany)
- BLG1952 reports that Isobel Stewart was mother of Walter's children. However, 'Strathendrick' (which does not identify any daughters) reports: "his children must have been by a former wife."
- ((ii)) Alexander Buchanan (dsp Verneul 17.08.1424)
- ' ((iii)) John Buchanan, 1st of Leny
- ' m. (c1392) Janet de Lany (dau of John de Lany) below
- ((iv)) Elizabeth Buchanan
- m. Sir Andrew Gray of Foulis, 4th of Broxmouth (d 1441)
- ((v)) Jean Buchanan
- m. Humphrey Cuninghame of Glengarnock
- Main sources:
- (1) "Strathendrick and its Inhabitants from Early Times" by John Guthrie Smith, published in Glasgow in 1896
- (2) BLG1952 (Murray-Buchanan of Leny).