About John Cole, of Rill, Esq.
- John Cole1
- M, #26566, b. circa 1500
- Father William Cole b. c 1452
- Mother Elizabeth Weston b. c 1486
- John Cole married Mary Archdeacon, daughter of Thomas Archdeacon. John Cole was born circa 1500 at England.
- Family Mary Archdeacon b. c 1472
- Thomas Cole+ b. c 1516
- [S74] Brent Ruesch's Research Notes.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p885.htm#i26566
- The Genealogy of the Family of Cole, of the County of Devon: Of the County of Devon, and of ... by JAMES. EDWIN-COLE
- 1 WILLIAM COLE, of Hutenesleigh (now called Hittisleigh) in the county of Devon, living in the year 1243, whose son and heir
- 2 ROGER COLE,* had "his dwelling at Coleton," in Chumleigh, and also held, in 27 Henry III., Hantesford, in that parish.† In 25th of Edward I. he was "returned from the county of Cornwall as holding lands or rents to the amount of £20 yearly value and upwards, either in Capite or otherwise, and as such summoned under the general writ to muster at London, on Sunday next after the Octaves of St. John the Baptist (7 July, 1297), to perform Military Service in person with horses and arms, &c., in parts beyond the Seas ;" ‡ and also again summoned with his son William§ to muster at Berwick-on-Tweed, on the nativity of St. John the Baptist, to perform service against the Scots in 1301. He was father of
- 3 ROGER (of whom immediately), and of the above-named William, who probably perished in this expedition, as there is no further trace of him ; and perhaps his early death may account for the omission of his name in the family pedigree drawn up, in July 1630, by Sir William Segar, Garter, King-at-Arms.
- 3 ROGER was heir to his father Roger, and lived in the reign of Edward II. ; his son and heir was
- 4 JOHN COLE, of the counties of Devon and Cornwall, who, in 1324, was described as "John Cole de Tamer, Man-at-Arms, || and
- returned by the Sheriff of the county of Devon, pursuant to Writ tested at Westminster, 9 May, as summoned by proclamation to attend the Great Council at Westminster, on Wednesday after Ascension Day, 30 May, 17 Edward II." In the 9th of Edward III (1335) he had free warren in Tamer, Lydeston, Hokesbere, and Hutenesleigh in the county of Devon, and in Rispernatt ;* and it appears by a Fine of 15 Edward III. (1341) that he was possessed of the manors of Respnel in the county of Cornwall, Launceston, and Stokley, and of the manor of Uptamer, Nytheway, and Hutenesleigh, the third part of the manor of Winston, and divers other lands in the county of Devon. He left a son and heir,
- 5 SIR JOHN COLE, knight, of Nythway, in the parish of Brixham, who, on 25th July, 4 Richard II. (1380) was "knighted (before the castle of Ardres) in Fraunce, by the Erl of Buckingham Thomas of Woodstock, Lord Deputy there for the King,"† and who married Anne, daughter and heiress to Sir Nicholas Bodrugan,‡ knt., by whom he had issue,
- 6 WILLIAM COLE (called Sir William Cole of Tamar, knt., by De la Pole, and also in a Herald's Visitation of Devon), who married Margaret, daughter of Sir Henry Beaupell, knt, and by her was the father of
- 7 SIR JOHN COLE, knt, who was in "the Retynew of the Duke of Gloucester,* at the Battell of Agincourt on Fryday, the XXVth day of October in the yere of our Lord God, 1415, and in the Third yere of the Reigne of the most Excellent Prince, King Harry the Fifte ;" and it is probable that he received his spurs for his conduct on that glorious field. He married Agnes, daughter of Sir —— Fitzwarine, knt., and had issue four sons, viz : —
- I. Sir Adam Cole, knt., his heir, who succeeded at Uptamer and Nythway, and marrying Elizabeth,† daughter of Sir Richard Weston, knt, had a son John, the father of John, who left issue only two daughters, his co-heirs, viz. : — Elizabeth, married to Sir John Huddy, of Stowell, co. Somerset, Chief Justice of England ; and Joane, married to John Anne of ——— co, Gloucester. Sir Adam also married Margaret,† daughter of Sir Henry de la
- Pomeroy, knt., and their sole daughter,* married John Holbeame of Holbeame, in co. Devon, esq., and had issue William Holbeame†, Sir William de la Pole adds, "from Margaret, wife of Adam Cole, is descended Baynham of Gloucestershire."
- 8 II. JOHN COLE, of whom hereafter (see p. 12).
- 8 III. WILLIAM COLE,‡ who married and had two sons, William 9 (of whom hereafter), and Stephen, his heir, who married
- Joane,* daughter and heiress to John White, by whom he had Jane, married to Robert Tozer ; Mary, married John Kestall (or Castell) ; Joane, married to John Truebody ; Thomasine married to John Tucker; and John Cole, his heir, who married Margaret,† daughter and heiress to Thomas Clarke, and by her had issue : — 1. John, his heir (who married Margaret, daughter to John Fortescue of Spriddleston, and had a son, John, who died s. p) ; 2, William, eventual heir ; 3, George ; 4, Edward ;‡ 5, Thomas ; 6, John ; 7, Roger ; 8, Stephen ; and Anne, married to Thomas Jeoffery of Tredineck.
- IV. Robert Cole § (fourth son of Sir John and Agnes) was father of John Cole of Treworgee in St. Cleer, near Liskeard, who had a son Walter, the father of Stephen, who by his wife Jane, daughter and heiress to Robert Wyatt, had John Cole, of Cornwall, || esquire, his heir.
- 9 WILLIAM COLE (see p. 7) was father of JOHN COLE of Sudbury,* in 10 Suffolk, "where he lies buried," who married Elizabeth, daughter of John Martyn of —— , by whom he had five sons, viz. : —
- I. Martin Cole, M.P. for Sudbury, 14 Queen Elizabeth, who married Ellen, daughter of —— Hancocke, by whom he left, 1, Martin Cole of Sudbury, who married Anna, daughter of —— Andrews, but died s.p. 9 December, 1620, and left by his will, dated 28 September, 18 James 1st, a yearly rent-charge of £14 to be distributed among the poor, and the ministers of Sudbury; 2, Caesar Cole, heir to his brother, 40 years old in 1620, who married Margaret, daughter of —— White, and had Elizabeth, Martin, John, and Thomas; 3, Richard Cole ; and a daughter, married to —— Brown.
- II. William Cole of Sudbury married Catalina, or Catherine, daughter of Ferdinando de Gallegos, a Spaniard of noble extraction, and had two sons, of whom the elder, Robert, married Anna, daughter of —— Cooke of Kersey, in Suffolk, and died s. p, ; and the second, Roger, was, in 1623, of the parish of St. Saviour's, in Southwark, in the co. of Surrey, gent. ; he married Anne daughter of Edward Maisters of Rotherhithe, in Surrey, by whom he had issue, 1 Roger, 2 Roger, 3 John, who all died young, Elizabeth, married to William Oland of London, Susanna married to William Locke of Merton, in Surrey, Anne and Catalina. This William Cole married secondly Elizabeth Rushan, by whom he had 1 John, 2 Martin, 3 William, 4 Edward, 5 Jeoffrey, 6 Parnell, and Elinor, married to James Raye.
- III. Robert Cole (third son of John Cole and Elizabeth Martyn).
- IV. RICHARD COLE (son of same John and Elizabeth) was of Bishop's Waltham, in the county of Southampton, and father of .... etc.
- V. Edward Cole, (sometimes called eldest son of John and Eliz.), was principal registrar to the Bishop of Winchester, mayor of that city in 1587, and M.P. for the same in 43 Queen Elizabeth ; he married Christian, daughter of Wm. Holcroft, and by her had issue, four sons, and two daughters, viz : — .... etc.
- II. We now return to JOHN,* (second son of Sir John Cole, knt.) who married Jane, daughter of Robert Meryot of Devon, and had two sons, viz. : — Simon, his heir ; and WILLIAM, of whom presently, viz., on p. 22. Sir Simon (as he is frequently designated) † was seated at Slade, in the parish of Cornwood, in the county of Devon, and died 12 Henry VII. (1497). He married Alice,‡ daughter and co-heir to — Leuri, of the county of Devon, had a daughter Joane, married to William Hele,§ of South Hele in Copneywood, Devonshire, esq. (by whom she had issue, represented by James Modyford Hele, who died a minor in August, 1716) § and a son, John Cole, of Slade, one of his Majesty's Justices of the Peace for the county of Devon in 1512-13, etc., who died 21 Nov., 35 Henry VIII., (1543), having had issue by his wife, Thomasine, || daughter and heiress to Thomas Wallcot of Walcot in the county of
- 9 WILLIAM COLE (before-mentioned on p. 12) younger son of John, and grandson of Sir John Cole, knt., married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Weston of Wiltshire, knt., and by her had a son and heir,
- 10 JOHN COLE, who married Mary, daughter and heiress to Thomas Archdeacon,* alias Ercedekne of Devon, gent, and had, issue,
- 11 THOMAS COLE, of London, who died April, 1571. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Hargrave of London, and had issue, four sons, and a daughter, Martha .... etc.
- The Peerage of Ireland: Or, A Genealogical History of the Present ..., Volume 6 By John Lodge, Mervyn Archdall
- .... etc.
- William Cole of Hutenefleigh in county of Devon, who was living in the year 1243 † 1 his fon and heir Roger, living in 1295, (24 K. Edward I.) 2 was the father of Roger, living in the time of K. Edward II. 3 whofe fon John of the counties of Devon and Cornwall, had free warren, in Tanner, Liddefton, Hokefbere, and Hutenefleigh, in Devon 4 and it appears by a fine (15 Edward III.) that he was poffeffed of the manors of Refpnel, in county of Cornwall, Launcefton, and Stokley and of the manor of Uptamun ; Nythway ; and Hutenefleigh ; the third part of the manor of Winfton ; and divers other lands in the county of Devon : he left a fon and heir.
- Sir John Cole, Knt. of Nythway, who married Anne, daughter and heir to Sir Nicholas Bodrugan, Knt. ‡ and
- † .... etc.
- had iffue William, who married Margaret, daughter of Sir Henry Bewpell, and by her was the father of
- Sir John Cole, Knt.— who married Agnes daughter of —— Fitz-Waryn, Knt. and had iffue four fons, viz. Sir Adam his heir; who fucceeded at Nythway and marrying Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Wefton, Knt. had a fon John, the father of John, who left iffue, only two daughters, his coheirs, viz. Elizabeth, married to John Huddy of Stowell in county of Somerfet, chief juftice of England ; and Joan, to John Anne of county of Gloucefter.
- John, of whom hereafter.
- William, who married and had iffue two fons ; Stephen his heir : and William, the father of John, who marrying Elizabeth daughter of John Martyn, had two fons, Edward, and William ; Edward, the eldeft, was principal regifter to the bifhop of Winchefter, and married a daughter of William Holcroft, by her he had iffue four fons, and two daughters, viz. Edward his fucceffor in the regiftry (who married Elizabeth Ebden of Winchefter, and died after 1622, leaving Edward, Jane, Elizabeth, and Sufan) ; William, (who died without iffue) ; Martin, (who married Drufilla, daughter of —— Vaus of Outiam, Efq and had iffue) ; John, (who married a daughter of John Lynch, Efq. and had iffue) ; Anne, (married to Thomas Fryar) ; and Jane, (to Lancelot Thorp, alderman of Winton). William, brother to Edward the regifter, married Catharine, daughter of Ferdinand Galgas a Spaniard, and had two fons, viz. Robert (married to Anne, daughter of —— Cooke of Keofey in Suffolk and died without iffue) ; and Roger (who married Anne, daughter of Edward Mafters of Rotherith in Surrey), Stephen (eldeft fon of William, and grandfon of Sir John) married Joan, daughter and heir to John White, and had John his heir, who
- .... etc.
- Robert, (fourth fon of Sir John) was father of John of Treworge in Cornwall, who had a fon Walter, the father of Stephen, who, by his wife Jane, daughter and heir to Robert Wyatt, had John Cole of Cornwall, Efq. his heir.
- We now return to John, fecond fon of Sir John Cole, Knt. who married Jane, daughter of Robert Meryot of Devon, and had two fons, viz. Simon his heir; and William of whom prefently.
- Simon Cole the eldeft fon was feated at Slade in county of Devon, and marrying Alice, daughter and coheir to —— Leure, had a daughter Johan .... etc.
- William, younger fon of John, and grandfon of Sir John Cole, Knt. married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Weften of Wiltfhire, Knt. and by her had a fon and heir John who married Mary, daughter and heir to Thomas Archdeacon of Devon, Gent, † and had iffue
- Thomas of London, * who married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Hargrave of London, and had iffue four fons
- .... etc.
- Sir Thomas Cole
- Birth: 1494 Devon, England
- Death: 1571 London, Greater London, England
- John Cole (1470 - 1525)
- Mary Archdeacon (1476 - 1564)
- Burial Date: 10 Mar 1571
- Thomas Cole was an English Protestant churchman, a Marian exile who became archdeacon of Essex.
- A native of Lincolnshire, he graduated M.A. at Oxford. He held the mastership of Maidstone School in 1552, but emigrated to Frankfurt on the accession of Queen Mary. There he made the acquaintance of John Knox. He subsequently moved to Geneva.
- Having returned to England Cole was presented to the rectory of High Ongar, Essex, in 1559. He was collated to the archdeaconry of Essex in the ensuing year, and subsequently appointed commissary of the archbishop in the archdeaconries of Essex and Colchester. In 1560 he was also installed in the prebend of Rugmere in St. Paul's Cathedral.
- Cole was present at the Convocation of 1562 and subscribed the original Thirty-nine Articles and the petition for discipline presented by the lower house. In 1564 he commenced D.D. at Cambridge, and the same year he was presented to the rectory of Stanford Rivers, Essex. He had a reputation for eloquence and also for a tendency towards nonconformity. He died in 1571.
- Cole published:
- A sermon preached at Maidstone in Lent, 1553; and also
- A sermon preached before the queen at Windsor in 1564.
- He had a hand in the framing of the Genevan form of worship.
- Family links:
- Elizabeth Hargraves Cole (1498 - 1574)
- William Cole (1521 - 1601)*
- Burial: St Mary-at-Hill, London, City of London, Greater London, England
- Find A Grave Memorial# 137830019
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=137830019
- Thomas Cole
- Birth: 1494 Devon, England
- Death: Apr., 1571 Greater London, England
- Thomas Cole was born at "The Slade". the ancestral home of a long line of Coles. He was the second son of John Cole and Mary Archdeacon, therefore, according to the law of progeniture, he was not to inherit his father's estates. He went to London and became a wealthy grocer living in the Parish of All Hallows on Honey Lane. Honey Lane was just off Cheapside in London, one of the main thoroughfares with markets held in the middle of the road. The great processions passed through Cheapside and Monarchs rode through from the Tower to be crowned at Westminster. The inhabitants of Honey Lane had a front-row seat to English history.
- He married Elizabeth Hargrave, daughter of Thomas Hargrave, "citizen and haberdasher" of London. It is very likely that he served an apprenticeship under Thomas Hargrave before opening his own "grocer" which inventoried a variety of items other than just food.
- His children were: William James b. May 1540, who married Annes Colles (Cole) daughter of Michael Colles (Cole); Elizabeth died young, Martha b. Aug 1541. who married John Warsop of Clapham in Surrey; Thomas b. Dec 1543,who became a priest and died unmarried; Emanuel b. 1545 and married Margaret Ingram, daughter of Hugh Ingram of London. (Their son, William Cole, settled in Ireland and became immediate ancestor of distinguished descendants in Ireland, the Earls of Enniskillen;) John b. Jun 1545; Solomon b. Jan 1547. d.Nov 1629 at Liss in Hampshire and married Mary Dering, heiress of Thomas Dering; ; Barnabus b. Jul 1551; Matthew b. Dec 1552; John b. Oct 1554.
- Burial: All Hallows by the Tower Church, London, City of London, Greater London, England
- Find A Grave Memorial# 143000427
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=cole&GSfn=thomas&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1571&GSdyrel=in&GScntry=5&GSob=n&GRid=143000427&df=all&
- parents: William COLE b: Abt 1439 in <, Slade, Devon, England> & Elizabeth WESTON b: Abt 1445 in <, Slade, Devon, England>
- Abt 1506 in <, Slade, Devon, England> 1 2 to Mary ARCHDEACON b: Abt 1486 in <, Slade, Devon, England> Note: CHAN19 Oct 2002
- Thomas COLE b: Abt 1525 in <, Slade, Devon, England>
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "FamilySearch® Ancestral File™ v4.19"
- "Genealogical Research of Kirk Larson"
- Type: Web Site http://alancole.homestead.com/ColeRootsIII.html
- Visitation of London 1633-35
Name: John COLE
Birth: 1468 in Slade, Devonshire, England
_APPLIES_TO: DATE_AND_PLACE 1
Death: in England
_APPLIES_TO: DATE_AND_PLACE 1
_RIN: 551 1
Change Date: 3 OCT 2005 at 13:00:20
Marriage 1 Mary ARCHDEACON b: 1472 in Slade, Devonshire, England
Thomas COLE b: 1495 in London, England
Title: Families of Sequoyah County, OK
Author: Sharen Neal
Abbrev: Sharen Neal
Abbrev: Families of Sequoyah County, OK
JOHN DRAKE, the eldest son and heir, was of Exmouth and Ashe. He m. MARGARET, dau. and heiress of JOHN COLE, Esq. of Rill, in the parish of Withecombe Ralegh, co. Devon.
John Cole, of Rill, Esq.'s Timeline
Exmouth, Devon, England
Withycombe Ralegh, Devon, England
Bideford, Devon, England
November 21, 1543
Slade, Devon, England
November 6, 1923
January 25, 1924
November 4, 1957
May 7, 1991
August 6, 1991
September 6, 2000