Matching family tree profiles for John Cole, Schoolmaster of Boston
About John Cole, Schoolmaster of Boston
The children of Henry Cole and Sarah Ruscoe were:
iii. JOHN, b. Feb. 14, 1652; m. MARY GALLOP.
Schoolmasters of the Free Writing School in Court Street, John Cole, 1684—1714
According to the 1987 Genealogy of the Gallup Family, info as follows:
(3-22)Mary Gallup, dau of John and Hannah (Lake) Gallup b. Stonington, Conn.; m. John Cole of Boston b. Feb 14 1652 Middletown, Conn. John and Mary Cole Joined Old South Church, Boston, In 1694 by letter from Stonington, Conn."
(HSCB) Children (GCFA) (Cole):
- (4-74) Samuel, b. Sep 16 1684; bapt. Sep 21 1684
- (4-75) Thomas, b. Apr 23 1686; bapt. Apr 25 1686
- (4-76) Mary, b. May 9 1688; bapt. Mar 9 1690
This ends the information on Mary Gallup daughter of John and Hannah (Lake) Gallup.
HSCB source information means: Historical Catalogue, South Church, Boston
GCFA source information means: Early Genealogies of the Cole Families in America
From page 130 The History of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company: Rev. and Enl ...By Zachariah Gardner Whitman
John Cole, Boston. Lewis thinks he was of Lynn, there being such a person there in 1642; but I rather suppose him to be a son of Samuel Cole, Ar. Co. 1637. John Cole, of Boston, is said to have had sons, viz. John, born 1643, and Samuel, born 1646. There was a John Cole, a school-master, in Boston, 1684—who kept the first free writing-school in town—and was much beloved and respected as such.
From page 90 An Historic Record and Pictorial Description of the Town of Meriden ... By Charles Bancroft Gillespie, George Munsor Curtis
The residence of Mr. [Henry] Cole on this farm made no impression on the records until his death on May 12, 1676. In that year the inventory of his estate was filed in the court of probate in New Haven. Although the owner of so large a farm his wealth was not large, for the land had probably been only slightly improved and land was worth but little until it had been cleared of forests and broken under the plough and until there was sufficient population to make a demand for farms. The inventory is curious and interesting for it shows how simple was the life of these early pioneers and how few of the comforts of life were in their possession. .... The husbands signed this document in place of those daughters who were married. The two Beloved Brethren mentioned in the above document were James and William Cole, who continued to reside in this locality, James for a while in the homestead, while William took a farm on Clapboard Hill, south of the present residence of J. Hobart Yale on Yale avenue. John became a school teacher in Boston and Samuel lived in Wethersfield.
From page 39 of Catalogue of the Boston Public Latin School, Established in 1635: With an ...
This school was that mentioned in the Town Records (1698-9, Jan. 30) as " Lately Built in the Prison Lane on the side of the hill, Over against the Land of Capt. Samll Sewtll." The hill was that so long known as Cotton Hill, and the exact location of the School-house can easily be found from the entry of Dec. 20, 1698, immediately preceding, that just quoted. From the Second Report of the Record Commissioners (p. Ill) we learn it was built in 1683-4, as a free writing school; 'John Cole was its first master', and about 1700, Richard Henchman. (Sec Drake's Boston, p. 612.) Near it Gov. Eudicott seems to have lived until his death.
From page 92 of The Crooked and Narrow Streets of the Town of Boston, 1630-1822By Annie Haven Thwing
November 24, 1684, the town agreed with John Cole to keep a free school to teach the children of the town to read and write, and in 1697 the selectmen "ask leave to build a Writing School on a vacant piece of land between Capt. Legg's and Mr. Belknap's 28X16X7." December 20, 1698, Samuel Sewall, who had inherited through his wife the Cotton estate, asked leave to have the bounds defined. "The south corner of the schoolhouse is fiftyfive feet from the house of Capt. Legg (on the corner of Tremont and Court Streets), from the north corner of the schoolhouse to the south post of Capt. SewalFs gate, being the breadth across the highway is fifty-three feet four inches. From the east corner of the schoolhouse cross the highway to the northwest gate post of the house late of Mr. Perkis is thirty-six feet. From the east corner of the schoolhouse to the land formerly belonging to John Mears eleven pole and one foot." A house was also built for the master.
- Page 50-51 of The Early Genealogies of the Cole Families in America: (Including Coles and Cowles). With Some Account of the Descendants of James, by Hartford, Connecticut, 1635-1652, and of Thomas Cole, of Salem, Mass., 1649-1672. Hann & Adair, 1887 - 307 pages.
- page 22 of The genealogical history of the Gallup family in the United States : also biographical sketches of members of the family by Gallup, John Douglass, 1820-1915. Mary Gallup (John1) married John Cole, schoolmaster of Boston
- page 158 of Records Relating to the Early History of Boston ... By Boston (Mass.). Registry Dept. "A List of Inhabitants In Boston 1695." ... "John Cole, Schoolmaster "
- page 28 of Stephens-Stevens Genealogy, Lineage from Henry Stephens, Or Stevens of ... By Plowdon Stevens
- page 349 of A History of Boston By Caleb Snow
- [http://davidkaminski.org/wiki/Timeline_of_penmen_and_penwomen_and_their_work;_writing_masters,_writing_teachers,_etc. Timeline of penmen and penwomen and their work; writing masters, writing teachers, etc.]
- 1683-4 - John Cole, writing master
- Location: free writing-school, Boston
- Source: Catalogue of the Boston Public Latin School, Established in 1635: With an historical sketch, Boston Latin School Association, 1886 
- Source: Second report of the record commissioners, page 111
John Cole, Schoolmaster of Boston's Timeline
February 14, 1652
Middletown, Middlesex, Connecticut
October 14, 1683
September 16, 1684
Boston, MA, USA
April 23, 1686
Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, United States
SAVE PRINT SHARE
May 9, 1688
Stonington, New London, Connecticut
Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts