John Convers, Jr.
|Also Known As:||"John Conyers"|
|Birthplace:||Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts|
Son of John Converse and Abigail Converse
|Occupation:||Blacksmith/weapons for Rev.|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About John Convers, Jr.
18. JOHN CONVERS,5 (John,4(11), Maj. James,3 Lieut. James,2 Deacon Edward,1), born 3 February 1701; removed from Woburn to Leicester, thence to Brookfield, Mass. He married Abigail Baldwin about 1727. Washburn's History of Leicester, Mass., says that he was a blacksmith, and that he married, second, in 1751, Mary Damon, by whom he had children, as set forth below. His name is given as John Conyers in a record left by Hiram Converse, son of Damon Reed Converse,6. That record says that the name was then spelled with a "y" instead of with a "v"; that there were several generations by the name of John Conyers, all iron workers; that John,5 removed from Chariton, Worcester County, Mass., to Kent, Conn., where he and his sons had a smelting furnace as described under the head of Damon Reed Converse,6 and that John,5 forged steel bayonets there for the Connecticut troops of the line during the Revolutionary War. That record includes a statement that "shortarmed John Conyers, so called, went in Lovewell's long march to Piquacket Pond." In April 1725, during Father Rasle's War, Capt. John Lovewell marched with forty men to strike the Pequawkett Indians,whose village was near a pond which was in what is now Fryeburg, Me. In the battle with these Indians Captain Lovewell and many of his men were killed, or wounded, but the Indians were worsted, and suffered so severely that they deserted the spot and went, to settle on the headwaters of the Connecticut (see Bryant's Popular History of the United States, Vol. III, p. 194). Although the name of John Convers is not found on the list of Lovell's men preserved in Massachusetts Archives, it does occur on a roll of volunteers commanded by Captain Willard who served from 28 August to 28 October 1725 (Archives, Vol. 91, 176). In his record above referred to, Hiram Converse also says, " My great grandmother's maiden name was Lida Thomas, and her birthplace was Middletown, Conn. My grandmother's maiden name was Demmon, and her native place was Woburn, Mass."
Children of John and Abigail (Baldwin) Converse:
- JOHN CONVERSE,6 born 31 July 1728.
- BENJAMIN CONVERSE,6 born in Leicester, Mass., 20 May 1732; married, 1754, Prudence Harrington of Spencer. (32)
- LUKE CONVERSE,6 in Leicester Maw., 8 Oct. 1734; died 10 June 1810; married, 1759, Ruth Lamb of Spencer. (33)
- ROBERT CONVERSE,6 born, in Leicester, 2 April 1737; married Sarah Newton. (34)
- ABIGAIL CONVERSE,6 born, 5 March 1739; married Ambrose Wilson of Kent, Conn. About 1829 she was living in Kent, a widow. They had a son, John Wilson, of Kent, Conn. The Wilsons were of Irish descent.
Children of John and Mary (Damon) Converse:
- PHOEBE CONVERSE,6 born 22 March 1752; Married Elon Stone and removed to Clarksville, Ohio, 12 miles from Sandusky.
- DANIEL CONVERSE,6 born, in Leicester, 2 March 1751; died 25 July 1814; married Mary Wheelock. (35)
- DELIVERANCE CONVERSE,6 born 3 Oct. 1756; died 1759.
- ELIJAH CONVERSE,6 born, in Leicester, 27 Sept. 1759; served in the war of Independence. "On the 23rd April 1775 Congress resolved to raise 13,600 men from Massachusetts. In the Leicester Company (Seth Washburn, Captain) appears the name of Elijah Converse" (Washburn's History of Leicester, page 216).
The Reed MS. also mentions another son of John and Mary (Damon) Converse, viz:
- DAMON REED CONVERSE,6 born 1764; married Sarah Lee. (36)
All that is said of his parentage is that his given name, Damon (or, as his descendants spell it, Demmon) was the family name of his mother. His descendants say that he had two brothers, Elijah and Joshua, and that the latter, viz.:
- JOSHUA CONVERSE,6 removed to Kent, Conn.; died in Quaker Hill, and had a daughter who married ____ Nickerson and lived in Carmel, N.Y.
- lived in Kent, CT., Brookfield, MA and Leicester, MA. In 1727 married Abigail Baldwin. 5 children - John, Benjamin, Luke, Robert and Abigail. John remarried in 1751 to Mary Damon and fathered another 6 children - Phoebe, Daniel, Deliverance, Elijah, Damon, and Joshua.
- The Baldwin genealogy from 1500 to 1881 (1881). Author: Baldwin, C. C. (Charles Candee), 1834-1895. Subject: Baldwin family. Publisher: Cleveland, O, [Leader printing company]. Possible copyright status: NOT_IN_COPYRIGHT. Pg. 618
- The Converse Family and Allied Families. by Charles Allen Converse. Page 43 - FIFTH GENERATION