John Pine Decatur
|Cause of death:||Typhoid Fever|
|Place of Burial:||Fort Gibson, Muskogee County, Oklahoma|
|Managed by:||Glen Woodford Balzer|
About John Pine Decatur
John Pine Decatur was born to Stephen and Anne (Pine) Decatur on September 14, 1786. He was one of seven children, including Ann Pine (Decatur) McKnight Hurst (1776-1819), Commodore Stephen (1779-1820), John Pine (1781-1781), James Bruce (1782-1804), Elizabeth Josiah (1784-1785), and Joseph Hill (ca. 1790-1802).
Decatur was appointed a Master in the U.S. Navy on August 4, 1807 and married Maria Susanna Ten Ecyk on April 6, 1809. He resigned his commission at his wife's behest on March 26, 1810.
The couple had eight children: Maria Susanna (1810-1879), Anna Pine (1812-1896), Stephen (1814-1876), Thomas Ten Eyck (1816-1819), Susan (1820-1873), John Pine (1823-1857), Margaret Ten Eyck (1826-1827), and Andrew Jackson (1828-1875).
After a brief career as one of the proprietors of the Bellona Powder Mills in Belleville, New Jersey, Decatur returned to the military. He was commissioned as a Captain of the Fifth Company of the Essex Squadron of Cavalry on May 11, 1812 and eventually rose to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, although he finished the War of 1812 as a Major. Decatur continued his career in the Navy, serving as Naval Store Keeper in the Brooklyn and Portsmouth Navy Yards. On April 8, 1829 President Andrew Jackson (an intimate friend of Decatur's) appointed him Collector of the Customs for the District of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Decatur was appointed Sutler to the Army at Fort Gibson, Arkansas in April of 1831 and died of typhoid fever on November 12, 1832.
Captain John P. Decatur, interred in Grave 2101, was the Sutler (a person who follows an army and sells provisions, etc., to the soldiers) at Fort Gibson and is the brother of Commodore Stephen Decatur, naval hero of the War of 1812. He was appointed as Sutler to the Army at Fort Gibson in April 1831. The Sutler served an important role for the Army, particularly at the remote frontier posts. The Army provided food and uniforms for the troops, so the soldiers and their families were dependent upon the Sutler's store for everything from shaving equipment and toothbrushes to dress fabrics and jewelry.