About John Dickson, Lord Hartree
"Was admitted advocate on the 9th June 1649, and having been appointed an Ordinary Lord, in place of Lord Fodderance, deceased, by the Estates, on the 7th of August following, took his seat on the 1st November 1649. He acquired the lands of Kilbucko from the Earl of Morton in 1630, and those of Hartrie, from which he took his designation, from the Earl of Traquair in 1633. He acted as Depute-clerk Register to Sir Alexander Gibson of Durie. He was one of the commissioners for the shire of Peebles, from 1644 to the cessation of Scottish Parliaments in 1651, and a member of the various Committees of Estates to whom the Parliament intrusted the government of the country during its intervals."
SOURCE: An Historical Account of the Senators of the College of Justice: From Its Institution in MDXXXII; by George Brunton, David Haig; 1832; Page 344