John Filmer, (3) SV/PROG
|Birthplace:||Runnen Hall, Lenham, Kent, England|
|Death:||Died in Waterford Farm, Salem, Cape, South Africa|
Son of John Filmer, (2) and Sarah Filmer
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching John Filmer, (3) SV/PROG
About John Filmer, (3) SV/PROG
"Note: Believed to have developed a timber business, probably in London. After his marriage, they lived in the parish of St. Bartholemew the Great in the City of London. Due to John Filmer's bad health and hard economic times the family emig rated to South Africa, aboard the 'S. Brilliant' in 1820, landing at Algea Bay. The family then settled on an allotment at Salem, Lower Albany, some 15 miles from the military garrison at Grahamstown. During the Kaffir Wars in 1835 their hom estead was burnt to the ground. They then bought a larger farm called 'Waterford' in the vicinity of Salem."
"England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"
- Name: John Filmer
- Gender: Male
- Christening Date: 10 Jun 1770
- Christening Place: Lenham, Kent, England
- Father's Name: John Filmer
- Mother's Name: Sarah
- Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02357-6
- System Origin: England-EASy
- GS Film number: 1736839
- Reference ID: item 3
Citing this Record
"England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NNV8-SHG : accessed 30 Mar 2013), John Filmer, 10 Jun 1770.
'In memory/ John Filmer/ A British Settler of 1820/ From Lenham, Kent, born May 17 1770 Died June 19 1853 at Woodlands/ His end was peace.'
(Monumental Inscriptions. Cemeteries in and around 1820 Settler Country. Eastern Cape. Reprinted 1998. Salem (Methodist) Row 5).
John FILMER Jun, Lot No.9 – 6 morgen, with one share in commonage, apparently allotted to John JONES, who sold to William TROTTER, for whom it was surveyed, and who sold to said FILMER
John FILMER Sen. two thirds and Ebenezer FILMER one third of Lot No.17 – 9 morgen and 568 square roods, with three shares in the commonage, being the shares of said John FILMER or John PHILLMORE and of his deceased son Thomas PHILMORE or FILMER, claimed by John FILMER, and of Thomas YOUNG, who sold to Jas. HOWSE, who sold to John FILMER Sen., who sold to Ebenezer FILMER.
John FILMER married Sarah WELLS on 4 April 1769 in St.Mary's, Lenham, Kent
- John son of John and Sarah FILMER was baptised 10 June 1770 in St.Mary's, Lenham, Kent
- Thomas, son of John and Sarah FILMER was baptised 5 April 1872 in St.Mary's, Lenham, Kent
London Metropolitan Archives
John FILMER of this parish Bachelor and Mary WHITBREAD of this parish Spinster were married by banns on 10 February 1807
John FILMER (signed)
Mary WHITBREAD (X)
Witnesses: Thos. FILMER and Geo. WOOD
Baptisms in St.Bartholomew the Great
- John son of John and Mary FILMER baptised March 13th 1808 (born February 15th 1808)
- Robert Perkins son of John and Mary FILMER baptised December 7th 1810 (born December 29th 1809)
- Harriet daughter of John and Mary FILMER baptised March 15th 1812 (born February 20th 1812)
- Ebenezer son of John and Mary FILMER, No.13 Glass-house Yard, sawyer, baptised 7 August 1814 (born 26 April)
- Mary daughter of John and Mary FILMER, Glass-house Yard, sawyer, baptised May 19 1816 (born April 24)
- Elizabeth daughter of John and Mary FILMER, No.2 back Passage, Cloth Fair, sawyer, baptised April 18 1919 (born February 5)
- Last Name: Filmer
- First Name: John
- Date of Birth: 17 May 1770
- Place of Birth: Runnen Hall (Lenham), Kent, England
- Parents – Father: John Filmer
- Parents – Mother: Sarah Wells
- Spouse: Mary Whitbread b. 1790 Kent to Charles Whitbread and Elizabeth, d. 10 Jun 1865 Rockwood Farm, Cape
- Marriage Date: 1808
- Marriage Place: England
- Date of Death: 19 Jun 1853
- Place of Death: Waterford Farm, Salem, Cape
Notes: Sephton’s party of 1820 settlers. He had a brother Thomas Filmer (q.v.) who sailed with the same party. DN 2060/1853, 1911/1865, 4065/1873, 546/1850. Children, all majors:
- John b. 1809 m. 1838 Mary Eastland, they had 4 sons and 3 daughters: Ebenezer, Thomas, George, Joseph, Mary, Agnes and Hetty.
- Harriet 1813 d. 1900
- Ebenezer born 1816 London, m. abt 1840 Sarah Agnes Hill, dau. of John Hill who came from Scotland with Benajmin Moodie’s party in 1817. He d. 22 Mar 1877 Grahamstown (q.v.)
- Mary b. 1817, marr. Joseph Weakley, no children, and d. 20 Nov 1850 age 34 Grahamstown
- Elizabeth b. 1819 marr. James Usher
- Thomas b. 1821
- George b. 1823 m. Kate Palmer and had 4 sons and 4 daughters: John, George, Walter, Herbert, Adelaide, Annie, Kitsie and Kate.
- James b. abt 1825, unmarried, buried at Komgha.
- Sarah b. abt 1826
- Anna b. abt 1828.
John Filmer, (3) SV/PROG's Timeline
May 17, 1770
Runnen Hall, Lenham, Kent, England
June 10, 1770
February 15, 1808
London, Middlesex, England UK
Kent, England, United Kingdom
March 15, 1813
April 26, 1814
Kent, England UK
April 14, 1819
Wiltshire, England UK
September 9, 1821
Salem, Albany, Cape Colony, South Africa