About John Gowdie, Min. of Earlston
"John Gowdie, born 1682, son of John G., min. of Sprouston ; educated at Univ. of Edinburgh ; M.A. (30th April 1700); licen. by Presb. of Kelso 27th Jan. 1702 ; ord. to Earlston 9th Aug. 1704 ; trans, to Lady Tester's, Edinburgh, 23rd July 1730; trans, to New North Parish, Edinburgh, 14th Dec. 1732 : elected Moderator of General Assembly 3rd May 1733; app. Professor of Divinity, Univ. of Edinburgh, 18th July 1733 ; D.D. (Edinburgh, 13th March 1750); promoted to Principalship 6th Feb. 1754 : died 19th Feb. 1762. By his casting vote as Moderator, the Commission of Assembly virtually dep. Ebenezer Erskine and his three associates, 16th Nov. 1733. He marr.
(1) 3rd Jan. 1706, Jean (died 16th May 1736), daugh. of Alexander Daes or Deas, merchant burgess, Edinburgh (son of James D., min. of Earlston), and had issue —
- John, min. of Earlston, bapt. 27th July 1707
- Elizabeth (marr. John Hill, min. of St Andrews)
(2) Ann (died 21st April 1764), eldest daugh. of Walter Ker of Littledean, and had issue —
- Jean (marr. pro. 30th Aug. 1767, Alexander Myles, brewer, Edinburgh)."
SOURCE: Fasti ecclesiae scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the reformation, Vol. VII, page 382