John Greswold (Griswold), Esq.
|Also Known As:||"John Griswald"|
|Birthplace:||Solihull, Warwickshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Rowington,Warw,,England|
|Managed by:||Oliver Marcus Stedall|
Matching family tree profiles for John Greswold, of Longdon Hall
About John Greswold, of Longdon Hall
- Edmond Hawes of Yarmouth, Massachusetts: An Emigrant to America in 1635, His ... (1914)
- The Greswolds were an old family of Warwickshire, originating apparently in Kenilworth, and afterward extending into Solihull and Rowington, the Solihull branch being the richest and most distinguished.(a) The pedigree is as follows :(b)
- 4 WILLIAM Greswold, of Solihull, married Isabel, daughter and heiress of John Grange. His son was
- 5 JOHN Greswold, of Solihull, married Margaret(f) daughter and heiress of Henry Bromley, of Longdon Hall. Her mother was Alice, daughter and heiress of ____ Hawes and one of her ancestors married the daughter and heiress of Wil-
- liam Hawes. In June, 1456, styled John Greswold, Esq., he is witness to a deed in Solihull.(g) Nov. 25, 1481, described as John Greswold, of Solihull, the elder, Esq., he conveyed a croft in that parish to Robert Greswold of the same place.(h) In 1493 the entry of John Greswold and Margeria, his wife, and for the soul of Margeria, is made in the list of members in the Guild of Knowle.(i) These may be the John and Margaret we are writing about here. He had the following children and perhaps others:
- ' JOHN Greswold, of Longdon Hall, who married Elizabeth and died June 20, 1515. An inquisition post mortem on his estate was held at Warwick Feb. 26, 1516-1517. He left Richard(j) Greswold, his son and heir, aged 30 years; two unmarried daughters, Anne and Margaret, and five other sons, Thomas, John, Edwin, Roger and Robert at the date of his will Dec. 9, 1511. He had large holdings of land in Solihull and vicinity. He is styled esquire in the inquisition.(k)
- CHRISTIAN, married John West.
- 6 ANN, married Thomas Hawes in 1465.(l)
- The arms of the Greswolds were: Argent, a fess gules between two greyhounds courant sable.(m) In Yardley, Worcestershire, later generations were living. In the church of that Parish the Greswold arms quarter Groome, Grange, Hawes, and others.(n) Edward and Mathew Griswold, of Kenilworth, brothers, came to Connecticut in 1639 and left issue.(o)
- 'John Griswold1
- 'M, b. circa 1435
- Father John Greswold b. c 1412
- Mother Margaret Bromley
- ' John Griswold was born circa 1435 at of Solihull, Warwickshire, England. He married Elizabeth Verney, daughter of Sir Richard Verney and Eleanor Lowtham, circa 1459 at of Solihull, Warwickshire, England.
- 'Family Elizabeth Verney b. c 1440
- ◦Richard Griswold+ b. c 1465
- 1.[S74] Brent Ruesch's Research Notes.
- 'Elizabeth VERNEY
- Born: 1445, Compton Verney, Warwickshire, England
- Father: Richard VERNEY
- Mother: Eleanor LOUTHAM
- 'Married: John GRESWOLD
- 1. Richard GRESWOLD
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/VERNEY.htm#Elizabeth VERNEY1
- The Greswold Family, 12 Generations in England.
John Greswold, of Longdon Hall's Timeline
Solihull, Warwickshire, England
Solihull, (Kennelworth), Warwicks, England
Solihull, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
June 20, 1515
April 7, 1992
April 10, 1993
May 18, 1993