|Birthplace:||Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts|
|Death:||Died in Sherborn, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States|
Son of John Hill of Dorchester and Frances Austin
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for John Hill of Sherbourn
About John Hill of Sherbourn
In 1657 John Hill, as part of a group of men, purchased a large tractof land on the then frontier west of Medfield from the Indians. Theysettled there on land which later became the town of Shearborn. John,who had been living in or near Dorchester, came to "the farms" west ofCharles River about 1658. He was active in the affairs of the newsettlement, and improved a large farm on which he resided until hisdeath on January 23, 1718.
Hannah Martin Hill died in November of 1690. John, about 63 years old,married a second time about 1693 to Elizabeth Bullard who was the widow of Benjamin Bullard of Sherborn. John Hill died January 23,1717/8 at about 87 years of age.
Elizabeth died on December 1, 1719,almost 2 years after John.
His will dated December 10, 1717, mentions, son-in-law James Adams and daughter Abigail (daughter of Elizabeth), his wife-to whom he had deeded(on February 18, 1713) one-half of his homestead, eldest son Samuel Hill, sons, Ebenezer, John and Eleazor, heir of daughter Abigail Leland (daughter of Hannah), daughter Mary Ellis, heirs of daughter Hannah, heir of daughter Sarah. Executors, son Samuel and Ebenezer Ballard, his second wife
s (Elizabeth) son.
John and Hannah had eight children. John and Elizabeth had one daughter. A confusing issue when reviewing records is that John had one daughter named Abigail by his first wife Hannah and a second daughter named Abigail by Elizabeth
- John Hill of Dorchester, Mass., and his descendants by J. Gardner Bartlett. Published 1904 by New-England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston. Written in English. Page 4-5.
- John Hill1
- M, #162101, b. circa 1630, d. 23 January 1718
- Father John Hill2 b. c 1602, d. 31 May 1664
- Mother Frances Tilden2 b. c 1608, d. 18 Nov 1676
- John Hill was born circa 1630 at England.1 He married Hannah Johnson, daughter of Samuel Johnson and Mary Foxe, circa 1653 at Medfield, Norfolk, MA; He married (2) Elizabeth Ellis.3,4 John Hill married Elizabeth Ellis, daughter of Richard Ellis and Elizabeth French, circa 1693 at Sherborn, Middlesex, MA; She married (1) Benjamin Bullard. He married (1) Hannah Johnson.1,5 John Hill died on 23 January 1718 at Sherborn, Middlesex, MA.1
- Family 1 Hannah Johnson b. c 1632, d. 1 Dec 1690
- Samuel Hill+3 b. c 1656, d. 24 Mar 1723
- Family 2 Elizabeth Ellis b. 23 May 1651, d. 1 Dec 1719
- Abigail Hill+1 b. 10 Jun 1694, d. 17 Sep 1736
- [S11597] Ancestry.com, Submitted David Shelton.
- [S11597] Ancestry.com, Submitted JulianaRichard54.
- [S11597] Ancestry.com, Submitted by dmv34larry.
- [S14] Unknown author, New England Marriages Prior to 1700, by Clarence Almon Torrey., p. 370.
- [S14] Unknown author, New England Marriages Prior to 1700, by Clarence Almon Torrey., p. 371.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p5397.htm#i162101
- New England families, genealogical and memorial: a record of the ..., Volume 4 edited by William Richard Cutter
- Pg. 2020
- (I) John Hill, of Dorchester, wa a proprietor of that town in 1633. There is no doubt that he came from England, but little concerning his life is now available. He was a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Boston, and died May 31, 1664. His wife Frances was admitted to the Dorchester church before 1639. . . . . She married (second) Jonas Austin, and removed to Taunton, being dismissed from the Dorchester church June 28, 1674; she died at Dorchester, November 18, 1676. Children: 1. John, mentioned below. 2. Frances. 3. Jonathan, baptized August 12, 1640; removed to Bridgewater. 4. Mary, married, April 12, 1656, Thomas Breck, of Sherborn. 5. Samuel, baptized 1638, died young. 6. Samuel, born 1640. 7. Hannah, born 1641; removed to Taunton. 8. Mercy, born January 8, 1642-43, baptized February 15, 1645. 9. Ebenezer, sold land in Dorchester, 1675. 10. Martha, baptized August 20, 1648. 11. Mehitable, baptized February 18, 1650-1. 12. Ruth, married Roger Willis. 13. Rebecca, admittted to church September 11, 1664.
- (II) John (2), eldest child of John (I) and Frances Hill, was born about 1630, and was therefore an infant when he came with his parents to Massachusetts. In 1657, in company with others, he purchased a large tract of land in what is now the town of Sherborn, Massachusetts, where he died January 23, 1718. . . . . He married (first) about 1653, the baptismal name of his wife being Hannah, probably some relative of Abraham Martin, of Rehoboth, who bequeathed to her property by will. She died in November, 1690, and he married (second) about 1693, Elizabeth, widow of Benjamin Bullard, of Sherborn, who survived him nearly two years, dying December 1, 1719. Children: Samuel, mentioned below; Ebenezer, born about 1656; Abigail, February 2, 1658; John, March 14, 1660; Mary, October 28, 1662; Eleazer, Jun 29, 1664; Johnson, June 22, 1666; Hannah, about 1668; Sarah, about 1670.
- (III) Samuel, eldest chld of John (2) and Hannah Hill, was born about 1654, probably in Dorchester, and settled on a farm in Medfield, which later became a part of Medway. He was many years a deacon of the church, which position he filled at the time of his death, March 24, 1723. He married, November 4, 1679, Hannah, daughter of Benjamin and Mary Twitchell of Sherborn, born October 8, 1660. Children: Samuel, died young; Samuel, mentiioned below; Sarah, born March 7, 1684; Ephraim, November 5, 1688; Jonathan, November 6, 1691; Hannah, March 21, 1693; Mary, July 15, 1696; Dorothy, July 19, 1698; Lyida, May 8,, 1701; Rachel, December 12, 1703.
- (IV) Samuel (2), second son of Samuel (1) and Hannah (Twitchell) Hill, was born October 29, 1683, and was a farmer in Medway, where he died March 21, 1755. He married, March 29, 1706, Rachael, daughter of Deacon Peter and Experience (Cook) Adams, of Medway, born February 1, 1681, died March 13, 1758. Children: . . . .
- PARMELEE, Hannah
- b. 1629 Guilford, New Haven, CT.
- d. 1 DEC 1690 New Haven, New Haven, CT.
- Marriage: 1653
- Spouse: HILL, John
- b. ABT 1633
- d. 23 JUN 1717 Sherborn, Middlesex, Mass.
- Father: HILL, John
- Mother: TILDEN, Frances
- HILL, Samuel
- HILL, Abigail
- HILL, John
- HILL, Mary
- HILL, Eleazer
- HILL, Hannah
- HILL, Sarah
- HILL, Ebenezer
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_24a.htm#8
- New England marriages prior to 1700 By Clarence Almon Torrey, Elizabeth Petty Bentley
- Pg. 370-
- HILL, John1 (-1664) & Frances ? m/2 Jonas AUSTIN 1667 (sister of Robert TURNER's wf?); in Eng, ca 1629; Dorchester
- HILL, John & Margaret ?; b. 1641; Boston
- HILL, John & 1/wf Frances ? (-1673); ca 1648?; Guilford, CT
- HILL, John & 1/wf Hannah [?JOHNSON/?HOLBROOK] (-1690) (had son JOHNSON); ca 1653; Medfield
- HILL, John & Elizabeth STRONG; 16 Jan 1656/7; Boston/Portsmouth, NH
- HILL, John & Abigail WOODBURY (1637-); 12 Oct 1657
- Pg. 371
- HILL, John (-1680) & 1/wf Miriam [GARDNER]; b 1658; Salem
- HILL, John (-1680) & 2/wf Lydia BUFFUM (1644-), m/2 George LOCKER 1680=; 26 Aug 1664; Salem
- HILL, John & Mary ?; b 1668; Boston
- HILL/HILLS, John (see HILLS) & Jane BUSHNELL, w John; 14 Apr 1670; Saybrook
- HILL, John (-1690) & Thankful [STOWE] (1646-1711); b 1671; Guilford, CT
- HILL, John (-1689) & Catharine (POST0 CHALKER, w Alexander; 3 Sep 1673, 25 Dec 1673, ?22 Sep 1673; Saybrook, CT/ Guildord, CT
- HILL, John (1650-1710) & 1/wf Hannah GRANNIS (-1692); 13 Jan 1680/1; New Haven
- HILL, John (-1690/1) & Priscilla [SHATTUCK] (1658-), m/2 Hugh NICHOLAS 1694; ?ca 1686; Salem
- HILL, John (ca 1630-1718) & 2/wf Elizabeth 9ELLIS) [BULLARD] (-1719), w Benjamin; ca 1693; Medfield/Sherborn
- HILL, John (1661-1738) & Hannah [ROCKWOOD] (1673-1730); ca 1693; Medfield
- HILL, John (1650-1710) & 2/wf Hannah [?PARMELEE] (?1667-1702; - Jul 1693; New Haven
- HILL, John 1672-1740) & Hannah [HILAND] (1669-1752); ca 1694; Guildord, CT
- HILL, John (1666-1713) & Mary FROST; 12 Dec 1694; York Co., ME
- HILL, John & Elizabeth OAKES; 27 Apr 1696; Salem
- HILL, John & Sarah [BRACKETT]; ca 1695; Greenland
- HILL, John & Ruhamah WYER (1670-); m int 14 Oct 1696; Boston/Charlestown
- HILL, John & Sarah [PHELPHS} (1672-); ca 1696: Simsbury, CT
- HILL, John (?1669-) & ?; b 1699; Westerly, RI
- HILL, John (-1727) & Jane ? (-1774, ae 98?), m/2 Moses DIMOND 1738, m/3 Gideon ALLEN 1749; ca 1700; Fairfield, CT
- Pg. 373
- HILLS, John (1615-) & Jane BUSHNELL, w John; 14 Apr 1670; Saybrook, CT
- HILLS, John (-1692) & Mary ?, m/2 Thomas ADKINS
- HILLS, John & Susanna ? b 1685; Boston
John Hill of Sherbourn's Timeline
March 14, 1630
Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts
Dorchester, Norfolk, Massachusetts, United States
August 20, 1648
Dorchester, Norfolk, Massachusetts, United States
Medfield, Norfolk, Massachusetts, United States
Medfield, Norfolk, Massachusetts
February 2, 1658
Medfield, Middlesex, Massachusetts
March 14, 1660
Medfield, Norfolk, Massachusetts