About John Iwerby, Esq.
- John Iwardby1
- M, #52828
- John Iwardby was born at of Mapledurham, England.1 He married Katherine Neville, daughter of Sir Edward Neville, 1st Baron Abergavenny and Elizabeth Beauchamp.1,2
- Family Katherine Neville b. c 1437
- [S147] Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage, Baronetage, and Knightage, 1938 ed., by Sir Bernard Burke, p., 68.
- [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 93.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1758.htm#i52828
- Sir John Iwardby1
- M, #1034
- Last Edited=19 Apr 2012
- Sir John Iwardby married Catherine Neville, daughter of Sir Edward Neville, 1st Lord Abergavenny and Elizabeth Beauchamp, Lady Bergavenny.2
- He lived at Farley Chamberlayne, Hampshire, England.1 He lived at Quainton, Buckinghamshire, England.1
- Child of Sir John Iwardby
- Joan Iwardby+1
- [S37] BP2003 volume 1, page 416. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- [S8] BP1999 volume 1, page 17. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S8]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p104.htm#i1034
- Edward Nevill, de facto 3rd (de jure 1st) Baron Bergavenny (bef. 1414 – 18 October 1476) was an English peer.
- He was the 7th. son  of Ralph de Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, and Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland, daughter of John of Gaunt and Katherine Swynford).
- In 1436 he married Lady Elizabeth de Beauchamp (d. 18 June 1448), daughter of Richard de Beauchamp, 1st Earl of Worcester, and the former Lady Isabel le Despenser, who later succeeded as de jure 3rd Baroness Bergavenny. They had four children. Their two sons were Richard Nevill bef. (1439 – bef. 1476) and Sir George Nevill (c.1440–1492), who would become 4th and 2nd Baron Bergavenny upon his father's death. Through George Nevill, Edward Neville is an ancestor to Mary Ball, mother of George Washington. His daughters Alice and Catherine (b.c. 1444) married Sir Thomas Grey and John Iwardby respectively.
- Shortly after his first wife's death, in the summer or fall of 1448, he married Katherine Howard, daughter of Robert Howard and sister of John Howard, 1st Duke of Norfolk. His second wife bore him three additional daughters. Catherine Nevill (b. c. 1452/bef. 1473) married Robert Tanfield (b. 1461), son of Robert Tanfield and Elizabeth Brooke, daughter of Edward Brooke, 6th Baron Cobham, and Elizabeth Touchet, born c. 1433, and had children. Their son William was ancestor of Thomas Jefferson. His daughter Margaret (b.bef. 1476-1506), married John Brooke, 7th Baron Cobham. John and Margaret are the grandparents of Elizabeth Brooke, Lady Wyatt. Daughter Anne (b.bef 1476-1480/81) did not long survive her father.
- .... etc.
- From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Neville,_3rd_Baron_Bergavenny
- Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study In Colonial And Medieval Families, 2nd Edition ...
- 12. ELIZABETH BEAUCHAMP, daughter and heiress, born at Hanley Castle, Worcestershire 16 Sept. 1415 (aged 18 in 1436). She married by dispensation dated 28 Aug. 1428 (they being related in the 4th and 3rd degree of kindred) (as his 1st wife EDWARD NEVILLE, Knt., of Birling, Mereworth, etc., Kent, Cuckfield, Sussex, etc., Governor of Leeds Castle and Park, 1451, Privy Councillor, 1454, and, in right of his wife, of Allesley, Warwickshire, youngest son of Ralph Neville, K.G., 1st Earl of Westmorland, 4th Lord Neville of Raby (descendant of King John), by his 2nd wife, Joan Beaufort, legitimated daughter of John of Gaunt, K.G., Duke of Aquitaine and Lancaster, Earl of Derby, Lincoln, and Leicester (son of King Edward III) [see NEVILLE 9 for his ancestry]. They had two sons, Richard and George, Knt. [Lord Bergavenny], and two daughters, Elizabeth (wife of Thomas Grey, Knt.), and Katherine (wife of John Iwardby, K.B.). On the basis of an entail dated 1395/6, his wife, Elizabeth, was excluded from the Lordship and Castle of Abergavenny by her step-father, Richard Beauchamp, 13th Earl of Warwick, and her half-brother, Henry Beauchamp Knt., Duke of Warwick. Edward presented to the church of Stouting, Kent in 1436, 1437, and 1438. he was made an honorary member of the Guild of Merchant Taylors of London in 1436-7 as "Edw. Nevyll, Lord Bergevenny." He was a legatee in the 1440 will of his father. Elizabeth was co-heir in 1447 to her cousin, Edmund Lenthall, Esq. His wife, Elizabeth, died 18 June 1448, and was buried at the Carmelites, Coventry, Warwickshire. Edward married (2nd) by dispensation dated 15 Oct. 1448 (she and his 1st wife being related in the 3rd degree of kindred) KATHERINE HOWARD, daughter of Robert Howard, Knt., of Stoke Nayland, Suffolk (descendant of King John), by Margaret, daughter of Thomas Mowbray, K.G., 1st Duke of Norfolk, Earl Marshal, Earl of Nottingham (descendant of King Edward I) [see HOWARD 10 for her ancestry]. They had cohabited in the lifetime of his 1st wife, and were excommunicated, later absolved. They had two sons, Ralph and Edward, and three daughters, Margaret, Katherine, and Anne. Following the death of Anne, daughter of Henry Beauchamp, Knt., Duke of Warwick, in 1449, Edward Neville had license to enter and possess the Castle, lordship and manor of Abergavenny. He was summoned to Parliament from 5 Sept. 1450 to 19 Aug. 1472, by writs directed Edwardo Nevill domino de Bergevenny Militi. SIR EDWARD NEVILLE, Lord Bergavenny, died 18 Oct. 1476. His widow, Katherine was living 29 June 1478.
- .... etc.
- Child of Elizabeth Beauchamp, by Edward Neville, Knt.:
- i. GEORGE NEVILLE, Knt., Lord Bergavenny [see next].
- Children of Edward Neville, Knt., by Katherine Howard:
- i. MARGARET NEVILLE, married JOHN BROOKE, Knt., 7th Lord Cobham [see WYATT 15].114
- ii. KATHERINE NEVILLE, married ROBERT TANFIELD, Esq., of Gayton, Northamptonshire [see RANDOLPH 16].115
- iii. ANNE NEVILLE, married JOHN STRANGE, Knt., 8th Lord Strange of Knockin, Lord Mohun [see STRANGE 13].
- 13. GEORGE NEVILLE, Knt., Lord Bergavenny, 2nd .... etc.