About John "The Elder" Johnson
John Johnson (c1659-1707) married first Mary, whose last name is unknown, and second, in 1701 Mary Thompson widow of James Day. (After John's death, she married Reuben Gladhill. )
- Parents: Daughter of Arthur Allen (c1640-before 1675) & John Johnson, Jr. (c1623-after 1659) see notes:
John's will was written 7 January 1703/4, and proved 9 Aug 1707. (Isle of Wight Will & Deed Book 2, p.484. He named four children in his will:
- Martha Johnson (c.1688 - before 1747) married between 1704 and 1715 Hugh Matthews
- John Johnson, Jr. married Mary and moved to Bertie Dist. NC before 10 May 1735,
- Patience Johnson
- Mary Johnson.
- Daughter Allen (c1640-before 1675) married first a Johnson, possibly John Johnson Jr (1623-after 1659) as his second (or later) wife, since he was unmarried in a 1653 deed. There is NO documentary evidence of this connection! She later married William Mayo.
- also listed as son of Father: WILLIAM JOHNSTON b: ABT 1670 & Mother: SARAH FULGHAM b: ABT 1675 in ISLE OF WIGHT CO., VA, U.S
On Jan.7, 1703/04, JOHN JOHNSON had devised his will in Isle of Wight County, bequeathing daughter MARTHA 50 acres and half of his household goods at "Blackwater." She also received one shilling in lieu of any part of her stepmother's estate. The will was witnessed by James Lupo, Sarah Lupo, and Susanna Braswell, and was probated Aug. 9, 1707.
The following June 9, 1708, John Davis, John Bidgood, and James Lupo appraised the estate of JOHN JOHNSON at a value of 12,320 pounds of tobacco
From discussion: https://www.geni.com/discussions/167041?msg=1143554
"This John Johnson was not the son of an Alice Johnson. He was actually the son of Robert Johnson and his 1st wife Katherine Allen d1693. In fact, he took the inventory of the estate of John Hardy after he died in 1676, but, for some unknown reason, he did not file this inventory until Feb 1707, a few months before he died. His sister Mary Johnson was the mother of Mary JOHNSTON who married William Mayo Jr 1682-1759. Katherine Allen was a sister of Joane Allen who married Robert Burnett, and Isabel Allen who married William Mayo SR d1715, all daughters of Arthur Allen d1669 and Alice Tucker who married next to John Hardy 1613-1676.
John Johnson witnessed the signing of a power of attorney from Alice Tucker Allen Hardy in 1681 along with her son Arthur Allen Jr. to her son in law William Mayo d1715."