|Birthplace:||Ipswich, Essex, MA|
|Death:||Died in Hamlton, MA|
|Place of Burial:||Hamlet, Essex, MA|
Son of William Knowlton, Immigrant and Ann Elizabeth Knowlton
|Managed by:||James Henry Hohorst|
About John Knowlton
Source: Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts, Volume 4 (Google eBook) by William Richard Cutter, William Frederick Adams. Lewis historical publishing company, 1910
John, the fourth child of William and Ann Smith Knowlton, was born in Ipswich Massachusetts in 1645/46 and spent his youthful days in that town. He took the freeman's oath in 1669 and in 1679 removed to Manchester where he took the oath of allegiance in 1680. He had learned the trade of carpenter and assisted his father in his building operations in Ipswich. On removing to Manchester he purchased land and built and sold houses and was a man of thrift and industry. He took an active interest in town affairs and was captain of the company of militia from its organization. He removed from Manchester to Hamlet now Hamilton in the town of Ipswich about 1707 where he died in August 1728.
His wives were (1) Bethia, daughter of Rice Edwards, of Wenham who died after 1707 and (2) Susannah Hutton, who he married after April 11, 1714. She had been married twice previously. All John Knowlton's children were with his first wife, Bethia Edwards.
He moved from Manchester to Hamlet now Hamilton in the town of Ipswich about 1707 where died in August 1728. He married first Bethia daughter of Rice Edwards of Wenham who died after 1707. His second was Susanna Hutton and the intention of marriage was published April 11 1714 Wenham and she survived her husband.
Children of John and Bethia Edwards Knowlton were
- John known as Captain John Knolton was born in Ipswich Massachusetts about 1670. He removed to Manchester Massachusetts with his parents when nine years old and he learned the trade of carpenter in his father's shop he contributed towards the erection of a school house which shows him to have been a well to do and progressive citizen. He married December 20 1697 Abigail daughter of Joseph Bachelor or Batchelder of Salem Massachusetts and they had eleven children all born in Manchester
- Mary married James Patch and died 1713 leaving children one of whom was probably Hannah who married Nathaniel Potter
- Rice born 1676 married Mary Dodge Ipswich January 2 1699 Mary Dodge born June 6 1680 and after her death husband married November 26 1750 Elizabeth Smith of Marblehead
- Susanna married Samuel Corning Jr of Beverly Massachusetts and had six children born of the marriage between 1698 and 1715 all baptized the First Church Beverly Samuel Jr died before 1728
- Benjamin married Susanna and died in 1764
- Bethia married a Mr Wooden
- Thomas born circa 1686 married Martha Conant March 13 1711 and died in Middleborough Massachusetts July 22 1755 aged sixty nine
- Timothy married Hannah daughter of Samuel Storey of Ipswich August 30 1711
- Elizabeth married Malachi Corning of Beverly
- Abigail married Isaac Geddings and after his death Lieutenant William Dodge
- Miriam married Joseph Day, March 26 1723
[Note: the following statement appears to be incorrect. I believe that Susannah Dutch was the daughter of Susannah Hutton and Capt. Samuel Dutch and she married Benjamin Knowlton, who was the son of Susannah Hutton's third husband. John Knowlton also had a daughter, Susannah, who married Samuel Corning, which would lead later genealogists to be confused it seems.]
John (3) Knowlton, who resided in Wenham, was twice married - first to Bethia Edwards, daughter of Rice Edwards of that town; second, to Susannah Hutton, also of Wenham, and his daughter Susannah, who became the wife of Samuel Corning. was of his second union.
- [S2491] Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire, Scollay Stearns, William Frederick Whitcher, Edward Everett Parker,, (Name: Name: Name: Lewis Publishing Company, Lewis publishing company,Chicago, 1908;;;).
John Knowlton, born Abt. 1645 in Ipswich,Essex County,Massachusetts; died Aug 1728 in Hamlet,Essex County,Massachusestts; married Bethia (Rice) Edwards Abt. 1670 in Ipswich,Essex County,Massachusetts; born Abt. 1650; died Aft. 1707.
John Knowlton's Timeline
Ipswich, Essex, MA
Ipswich, Essex Co., MA
Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
Ipswich, MA, USA
Ipswich, Massachusetts, United States