Matching family tree profiles for John Larrabee
About John Larrabee
Revolutionary War Veteran DAR Ancestor #: A066836
John was born November 20, 1731/2 in Windham, Windham Co., CT. or Plainfield, CT, removed to Pownal, VT in 1780 where he servered as proprietor's clerk and recorded the town charter. He purchased a farm at Rowley's Point, Shoreham, VT and settled there in 1783, and established the first regular ferry there. This place known as Larrabee's Point.
He married Mary Spaulding (Spalding) 16 Dec 1762 in Plainfield, CT. (John Larrabee marr. Mary Spaulding 16 Dec 1762 Coventry vr Vol. D, p. 74)
John died January 07, 1818 in Shoreham, Addison Co., VT, at age 85.
From Sacco Valley Settlements (3):
- "John S.,4 b. in 1732; m. Mary Spaulding, in Plainfield, Conn., Dec. 16, 1762, and removed to Shoreham, Vt., in 1783. He was a land surveyor and a man of more than common education. He purchased a farm at Rowley's Point and established the first regular ferry there, since known as "Larrabee's Point," where his descendants still reside. His children, as far as known, were b. in Plainfield, Conn. Here we have the connection between the Vermont and Connecticut families. Capt. Adam Larrabee always claimed Judge John S. Larrabee, of Shoreham, Vt., as his cousin, and the two were accustomed to visit each other. John d. in Shoreham, June 7, 1818. Names of children with Vermont branch." (page 792)
- "LARRABEES OF POWNAL, VT. The Larrabees seem to have been among the pioneers of Pownal, Vt., and received original grants of land there. I assume that they were all of the Connecticut branch of the family. John Larrahee, the recorder for the town, and his sons, Judge John S., Dr. William, and Timothy, were, we know, from Plainfield, Conn. Those of whom we take notice in this section of the family history were in the township at the same date and were probably near relatives. From these Vermont families numerous sub-branches have rotated westward and their number fully equals those descended from Stephen Larrabee, the head of the other great branch of the American family." (page 811)
- DAR Patriot Index, published by the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution: John: b 1732 d 6-7-1818 m Mary Spaulding Cpl VT
- The Compendum Of American Genealogy, Fredrick Adams Virkus, VolVII. 1942 The Virkus Company, Chicago, IL. Pg 145 Arthur Adams and Sarah A. Risley, A GENEALOGY OF THE LAKE FAMILY of Great Egg Harbor, in Old Glouchester County, in New Jersey, Descended From John Lake of Gravesend, Long Island. Privately Printed 1915. pg 790.
- Saco Valley settlements and families: historical, biographical ..., Volume 2. By Gideon Tibbetts Ridlon. Page 792. See also page 811.
John Larrabee's Timeline
December 10, 1732
Windham, Windham County, Connecticut, United States
February 6, 1764
Plainfield, Windham , Connecticut
February 2, 1766
Plainfield, Hartford , Connecticut
Plainfield, Hartford, Connecticut
Plainfield, Windham, Connecticut
June 7, 1818
Shoreham, Addison, Vermont, United States