John Lawrence, Jr.
|Also Known As:||"John Lawrence", "Jr.", "1st Squire of Ashton Hall"|
|Birthplace:||Thurnham Parish, Lancashire, England, (Present UK)|
|Death:||Died in Thurnham Parish, Lancashire, England, (Present UK)|
Son of John Lawrence, AKA Lawrence of Lancaster; John Lawrence, Sr. and Margaret Lawrence (Chesford)
|Managed by:||Private User|
About John Lawrence, Jr., 1st Squire of Ashton Hall
- A genealogical memoir of the family of John Lawrence, of Watertown, 1636; with brief notices of others of the name in England and America (1847)
- It is, however, to one ROBERT LAWRENCE, of Lancashire, we are to look for the first individual of the name whose family and circumstances entitle him to be considered the Ancestor of the Lawrences of England. Born, probably, as early as A. D. 1150, he accompanied his sovereign, Richard Coeur de Lion, to the war of the Crusades, in the Holy Land, and so distinguished himself in the siege of Acre that he was knighted Sir Robert of Ashton Hall, and obtained for his arms, " Arg. a cross raguly Gu. " — A. D. 1191.
- Seized of Ashton Hall in Lancashire, his successors held this seat for many generations, and it has been said to have belonged, even of late, to some of Sir Robert's descendants. His son and immediate successor married a daughter of James Trafford, Esq., of Trafford, Lancashire, by whom he had a son and heir, James, who succeeded Sir Robert, his father.
- JAMES married Matilda de Washington, daughter of John Washington, of Washington, in 1252. She was an heiress, the only daughter. The son and successor of James Lawrence " living in the thirty-seventh year of Henry III. " by Matilda, was John, who married Margaret, daughter of Walter Chesford, whose son, named John, succeeding his father, married Elizabeth, daughter of --- Holt, of Stably, in Lancashire, and died A. D. 1360.
- Sir ROBERT, a knight, son and heir of John and Elizabeth Lawrence, married Margaret Holden, of Lancashire, by whom he had sons: first, Robert, ancestor of the Lawrences of Standish, Crich Grange and Sevenhampton ; second, Thomas; third, William; fourth, Edmund; — ancestors of other principal branches of the name in England.
- I. Sir ROBERT, son of Sir Robert and Margaret Lawrence, born before 1454, married Amphilbis, daughter of Edward Longford, Esq., of Longford, and had sons : first, James, a knight, styled " Sir James of Standish," to distinguish him from another of the name living at the time. He married Cecily, daughter of --- Boteler, Esq., of Lancashire, an heiress, and had issue, two sons and a daughter.
- Sir Thomas, first son of Sir James and Cecily Lawrence, married
- Eleanor, daughter of Lionel Lord Welles, and thus acquired estates in the counties of Lincoln, Nottingham and York. Sir John, a son by this marriage, the seventh knight in a direct line, is said to have possessed, in 1591, thirty-four manors; but being outlawed for crime, died without issue, an exile in France. Cecily, a daughter, married William Gerard, ancestor of the Bromley family of Gerards, to whom Ashton Hall and other estates passed, about 1600.
- Robert, second son of Sir Robert and Amphilbis Lawrence, married Margaret, daughter of John Lawrence, Esq., of Rixton, in Lancashire, by whom he had Sir Robert, who married a daughter of Thomas Stanley, Esq., and died in 1571. Also John, who commanded a wing of the English army under Lord Stanley at the battle of Flodden Field, and died without issue, aged thirty-eight years. William; a third son, born 1509, or before, married Isabel Molyneux, daughter of John Molyneux, of Chorley, in Lancashire, and held great estates — Sevenhampton, &c., in Gloucestershire, the manor of the Sea House, Somerset, &c. He had several children, of whom John, Doctor of Laws, was Archdeacon of Worcester, &c. Robert, born at Withington, 1521, married for his second wife Eleanor, daughter of John Stratford, of Farncot, by whom he had: first, William, who received from his father the estates of Shurdington. He married, and had Anthony, his heir, who also married, and had a son William, who died without issue, and the estates went to Littleton Lawrence, Esq., of Cricklade.
- Robert, second son of Robert and Eleanor Lawrence, died without issue, 1585. He was of Sevenhampton. Anthony, a third son, married a daughter of William Gradwell, Esq., of Gray's Inn, and had by her Anthony, his heir, a daughter Frances, or Elisabeth, who married William Rogers, Esq., of Sandiwell, and a son William. Anthony Lawrence, Esq., married Mary, daughter of Giles Broadway, Esq., and had two sons and three daughters. Robert Lawrence, Esq., was of Sevenhampton, and the second son, and married Mary, daughter of John Rogers, Esq., of Hazleton, and was the ancestor of " Walter Lawrence, Esq., said to be the last heir-male of the elder branch of the Shurdington family, who died in May, 1810," and likewise of John Lawrence, living unmarried, in 1806, aged 73 years, who was Rector of Sevenhampton.
- Nicholas, third son of Sir Robert and Amphilbis Lawrence, living in 1454, married, and had a son Littleton Lawrence, Esq., of Cricklade, who inherited estates under the will of William Lawrence, Esq., of Shurdington, which are still held by his descendants.
- The arms of this branch at Shurdington and Sevenhampton, &c., were : " Argent, a cross, raguly gu." Crest — " The tail or lower part of a fish erect and couped." Estates " in Gloucestershire." Seat, " Sandy-Well Park."
- II. THOMAS, second son of Sir Robert and Margaret Lawrence, was the father of Arthur Lawrence, Esq., who was seated at Prior's Court in Gloucestershire. This Arthur was ancestor of John Lawrence, Esq., of Delaford, in Iver, Bucks, and of Chelsea, Middlesex, who was created a baronet in 1628. He married Grisel, daughter of Jarvis Gibbon, Esq., in the county of Kent, and died in 1638.
- Sir John Lawrence of Chelsea, his son and successor, married, and had a son, Sir Thomas, who married, but had no issue, and was the last of this baronetcy, which was established in 1628, and became extinct in 1717. It is said that this person just named spent all his estate, and about 1700 emigrated to Maryland, in America.
- III. WILLIAM, third son of Sir Robert and Margaret above, born 1425, or before, fought under the Lancastrian banner at St. Albans, in 1455, where he fell, and was buried in the Abbey of St. Albans.
- IV. EDMUND, (the youngest of the four sons of Sir Robert Lawrence, who married Margaret Holden,) is said to have married a daughter of Miles de Stapleton, a descendant of the distinguished family of that name of Norman extraction, found in England, by which marriage he derived his title.
- John Lawrence1
- M, #27925, d. 1360
- Father John Lawrence d. a 1253
- Mother Margaret Chesford
- John Lawrence married Elizabeth Holt. John Lawrence died in 1360.
- Family Elizabeth Holt
- Sir Robert Lawrence+
- 1.[S8723] Unknown author, Families Directly Descended from all the Royal Families in Europe, by Elizabeth M. Rixford, p. 91; Ahnentafel charts from Douglas Scott Robertson.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p930.htm#i27925
John Lawrence was born say 1275. He married Elizabeth Holt.2,3 John died after 1348.
John Lawrence was the first Squire of Ashton and the first to use the surname Lawrence. John was a Member of Parliment in 1301 for Lancaster.4
Richard, son of William the Cook, gave lands to Thomas, son of Richard de Stainall in 1315-16. This same Richard also gave land to John Lawrence and his wife Elizabeth.3 In 1323 John Lawrence held 30 acres in Skerton by a rent of 6s. 8d.3
In 1331, John made a complaint of trespass on his fishery at Ashton. John in conjunction with Elizabeth his wife and Edmund their son held the Stapleton part of Ashton manor in 1338 for life. The family then or a little later obtained, apparently by marriage, the estate of the Gentyl and Washington families in Carleton, Scotforth, and elsewhere.3
Also in 1331, he was holding lands in Lancaster and Lentworth from Robert de Holland.4
Between 1318 and 1325 he was a juror in at least eight inquests.2
In 1337, John Lawrence of Ashton obtained land in Stodday on Netherbaiske Brook from Robert son of Thomas son of Roger de Stodagh.3
In 1338, John Lawrence in conjunction with Elizabeth his wife and Edmund their son held the Stableton part of Ashton for life. The family then or a little later obtained, apparently by marriage, the estate of Gentyl and Washington families in Carleton, Scotforth and elsewhere.3
In 1346 he was a partner in a farm belonging to the Cockersand Abbey Estate4 and at an inquest was holding additional lands in Lancaster from the Earl.2 In 1346 he was paying the Earl 10d. annually for the harrowing, reaping, etc., due from 32 acres in Skerton.3
Also in 1346, he held a half plough-land in Amounderness Hundred by the service of two crossbows. John de Hackinsall held a plough-land and a half and the Abbot of Cockersand held half a plough-land.3
In 1347 John gave to John the Frereson and Joan his wife (who had sons John and Edmund) a burgage in St. Mary-gate upon Caldkeld Bank3 and was master of the manor of Ashton by a yearly fee of £22.4 In 1348 he was holding 5 acres in Skerton and Hackensall from the Duke4 and was a partner with his nephew, John Lawrence of Lancaster, in the milnfield in Lancaster.2
In 1347 John Lawrence held the Coucy moieties of Ashton and Scotforth at a rent of £22.3
In 1348-50, William de Heaton made a claim for messuages, etc., in Lonsdale against Thomas son of Marmaduke de Thweng, John Lawrence of Ashton, William de Washington, and Robert de Haldleghes.3 John was granted in Ashton Hall for life in 1324.2
Ashton Hall, the ancient seat of the Lawrences, is located about three miles to the south of the town of Lancaster, in northern Lancashire. It is picturesquely situated, commanding fine views of the estuary of the River Lune, and of Morecambe Bay, an extensive inlet of the Irish Sea. Ashton Hall is noted for the sylvan beauty of its spacious park, which is well diversified with hill and vale. The mansion is a large edifice, with many of the characteristics of an ancient baronial castle, having a square tower at one end, and numerous battlements, turrets, and machiocolations. Successive alterations and additions have been made at different epochs, in harmony with the medieval type of architecture. The oldest portion is probably from the fourteenth century. The interior contains a fine baronial hall.5
In 1066 Ashton was one of three manors of Cliber, Machern and Gillemicheld and appears to have been accessed of two plough-lands. (The other two manors, Ellel and Scotforth, retained their connection to Ashton being held by the Lancaster family.) Afterwards, it was granted to Count Rogers of Poitori and a little later formed part of the lordship held by the Lancaster family, being held by knight's service. In the time of Henry II (1154-1189) William de Lancaster I granted half a plough-land to Gilbert de Ashton to hold by service of half a mark yearly. The second moiety wash shared or inherited by the families of Stableton and Metham, Thweng and Pedwarding, and appears to have been acquired by the Lawrence family of Lancaster.3
In 1226, the Millfield at Ashton rendered 5s. a year to the king. in 1323 it was held by many free tenants, who in all paid 5s. to the earl. This Millfield contained 20 acres. Tenants were William and Randle le Gentyl and John and Alice Lawrence.3
The free tenants in 1301 were Roger de Slene; another who had a messuage and 5 acres for a rent of 20d; Lawrence son of Thomas who rendered 6s. 8d. yearly; John de Ashton who held a messuage and 4 oxgangs of land and paid 6s.8d. rent; and Randle who paid 7d. In 1292 Gervase de Ashton claimed land against a Lawrence de Ashton. In a list of free tenants some 40 years later are recorded: William son of Lawrence, 2s. 6d; the same William, for Brantbreck, 1d; Alan de Ashton, 17 1/2d; John Ward, 2s. 6d; John, son of William the Clerk, 20d; Gervase del Green, 20d; Henry Alcok 5 1/2d; in all 14s. 6d.3
Traces of the Lawrence estate in Ashton appear in inquisitions of some of the heirs, though the tenures are not always recorded. By some agreement, the manor descended through Boteler of Rawcliffe to Radcliff of Winmarleigh, and so my marriage to Gilbert Gerard woh purchase the other moiety from the Crown. Thus the whole became united in him and his descendants, the Gerards of Bromley and the Dukes of Hamilton. (Richard Skillecorne held part of it of the king in cocage in 1534. Thomas Regmaiden in 1520 held the reversion of the fourth part of the manor. John Boteler in 1534 held the manor of the king as duke in socage.) Sir Gilbert died in 1593 holding the manors of Ashton, Stodday, and Scotforth of the queen as of her crown of England in a fee farm by the hundredth part of a knight's fee and a rent of £16.11s. 4d.3
King James I on his way from Scotland to London by Carlisle in 1617 arrived at Hornby, and thence went to Ashton Hall, where he knighted two gentlement on 11 Augus.3 In August 1648, the Duke of Hamilton stayed a night at Ashton Hall which was, in later years, to become inheritance of this family.3
Ashton Hall was probably built by John's son Edmund. See Edmund Lawrence for additonal information.
John Lawrence was born say 1275. He married Elizabeth Holt. John died after 1348.
John Lawrence was the first Squire of Ashton and the first to use the surname Lawrence. John was a Member of Parliment in 1301 for Lancaster.
John Lawrence, Jr., 1st Squire of Ashton Hall's Timeline
Thurnham Parish, Lancashire, England, (Present UK)
Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Thurnham Parish, Lancashire, England, (Present UK)
Thurnham Parish, Lancashire, England, (Present UK)