John Locke, Jr.
|Birthplace:||Dover-Foxcroft, Piscataquis, Maine|
|Death:||Died in Rye, Rockingham, New Hampshire|
|Place of Burial:||Rye, Rockingham, New Hampshire|
Son of Capt. John Locke and Elizabeth Locke
|Managed by:||Private User|
About John Locke, Jr.
- A history and genealogy of Captain John Locke (1627-1696) of Portsmouth and Rye, N.H., and his descendants; also of Nathaniel Locke of Portsmouth, and a short account of the history of the Lockes in England (1916?])
- F1 Captain John Locke was probably baptized in London, England, Sept. 16, 1627, married about 1652, Elizabeth, the daughter of William and Jane Berry, and was killed by the Indians Aug. 26, 1696, in Rye, N. H. Elizabeth the widow was living in 1708 when the estate was settled and the children given below shared in its distribution. Several old papers prepared by descendants born about 1735, give the entire family, and in the following order. As first names only were given it is impossible to determine whether the girls were married, or to whom married at that time (1708) but we know nearly all were.
- Children of 2nd Gen.
- F2 John, b. 1654 (?), m. Elizabeth Bolles (Bowles).
- 3 Elizabeth, b. __, probably d. before estate was settled in 1708.
- F4 Nathaniel b, 1661 (?), m. 1688-9, Dorothy Blake.
- 5 Alice or Elsie, b. __, m. Nehemiah Berry, March 14, 1714-5.
- F6 Edward, b. __, m. Hannah Jenness, in 1692.
- F7 Tryphena, b. __, m. John Webster, in 1693.
- 8 Rebecca, b. __, living in 1708.
- 9 Mary, b. __, m. William Hepworth of Boston, Jan. 31, 1697.
- F10 William, b, Apl. 17, 1677, m. Hannah Knowles, in 1699.
- F11 James, b. __, m. Hannah Philbrick, in 1713.
- F12 Joseph, b. __, m. Salome White.
- 'F2 John Locke, b. 1654 (?), m. Elizabeth Bolles (now spelled Bowles) of Wells, Me., about 1677. York deeds say: "Joseph Bolles of Wells by deed Oct. 25, 1678, gives Elizabeth Locke ten acres of land at 3 mile brook, Wells," and by will dated Sept. 18, 1678, he gives dau. Elizabeth, ten pounds. A correspondent writes that he thinks this Elizabeth m. 2nd, William Pitman of Portsmouth. The Rye records say an Elizabeth Locke d. Nov. 12, 1734; and I think this is she. Were it Capt. John's widow, she would have been over 100 years old, and his dau. Elizabeth must have died before 1708. This accounts for all of that name now known.
- He was on jury duty in 1704, and scouts were posted June 5, 1705, as far as his house. About 1677 his father gave him half his right of land on Josling's Neck, and Feb. 3, 1707-8 this John, Jr., now Senior, gave his son John, Jr., half of all his rights at Josling's Neck in consideration that he pay a debt to Robert Eliot, and the other half on condition that he maintain his mother and pay his brother Jethro 5 pounds. He bought land in Rye in 1728 at Locke's Neck, and sold all his lands to his son John Dec. 18, 1733. He lived in Rye.
- Children as far as known of 3rd Gen.
- F13 John, b. 1683, m. Sarah __.
- 14 Richard, b. __.
- F15 Jethro, b. __, m. 1720, his cousin Dorothv Locke, #18.
- F16 (Elizabeth (?) b. __, m. Feb. 28, 1710-11, Samuel Neal.)
John Locke, Jr.'s Timeline
Dover-Foxcroft, Piscataquis, Maine
Stratham, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Rye, Rockingham, New Hampshire
November 30, 1932
February 27, 1946