John M Mendenhall, Sr.
|Birthplace:||Mildenhall, Ramsbury, Wiltshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Concord, Chester, Pennsylvania|
|Place of Burial:||Chester, Pennsylvania|
Son of Thomas A. Mendenhall, III and Joane Mendenhall
|Managed by:||Aurelia Pinta (Larrick)|
Matching family tree profiles for John M. Mendenhall I, the Immigrant
About John M. Mendenhall I, the Immigrant
Christening: 30 October 1659 Wiltshire, England
John Mendenhall (son of Thomas Mendenhall and Joan Stroud/Stroads/Strode) was born 30 Aug 1659 in Mildenhall, Ramsbury, Wiltshire, England, and died 19 Aug 1743 in Pennsylvania. He married Elizabeth Maris on 13 Jul 1685 in Darby Meeting, Chester County, Pennsylvania, daughter of George Maris and Alice Wilsmith. He married Esther Maddock 8 Sep 1708 in Concord township, Chester Co., Pennsylvania, daughter of Nathan Maddock and Alice Nicholls. She was born 16 Dec 1661 in Chester, Cheshire, England, and died 1709 in Birmingham, Chester Co., Pennsylvania. He married Esther Dix 1708. http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=fkwhite&id=I714
More About John Mendenhall: Fact: He was the first of Thomas' children to be registered at a Quaker Monthly Meeting.398 Immigrated to U.S.: Bef. 1685, Settled in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
Child of John Mendenhall and Elizabeth Maris are: John Mendenhall, b. 03 Jun 1688, Concordville, Chester Co., PA.
JOHN M. MENDENHALL b. 30 October 1659, Marridge Hills, England, d.19 August 1743, Springfield, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. MARRIED 5 August 1685, Darby MM, Chester County, PA. CHILD: John Jr. Mendenhall. NOTES: Elizabeth Maris b 3 April 1665 @ Inkborough, England - d 1691 buried Friends Cemetery, Chester Co., PA. Elizabeth's parents were George Maris and Alice (surname not proven).
Source 2: "The earliest records of the Mendenhall/Mildenhall family are found in all source material of genealogy in England. These records place the family in Wiltshire, under royal favor, until after the Battle of Tewesbury. From this time the family fortunes waned until there was just a remnant left at Mildenhall, near Marlborough, Wiltshire, England. John, Benjamin, Moses and sister Mary came to America from England about 1689." Source 3: "In 1682, John, Benjamin, Moses and Mary came to America with one of the groups that arrived shortly after William Penn established the colony of Pennsylvania. He was a Friend. He settled in Springfield, Chester Co., Pennsylvania."; page 23, "John Mendenhall was a brother of Benjamin and Moses, and doubtless came from the same place in England. He was one of the earliest settlers in Concord, and in 1685 was married to Elizabeth, the daughter of George Maris, of Springfield township. He was a Friend, and was active and influencial in the Society. In 1697 he granted the ground occupied by concord Friends' meeting house and grave-yard. In 1708, his wife being deceased, he contracted a second marriage with Hester Dix. He was one of the original shareholders of the first Concord mill. His children, by his first marriage were George, John, and Aaron -- it is not known that he had any by his second wife Hester Dix."; Page 26, "He was the surveyor to William Penn, and in the picture of the
Elm Tree Treaty' he is made by his grandson, sir Benjamin West, the painter, to occupy a conspicuous place, standing by Penn's side, a tall man with a map in his hand."
http://history.rays-place.com/pa/concord-t-pa.htm This township, the largest in Delaware county, is first mentioned in the records of a court “held at Chester, on the 27th of the 4th month called June, 1683,” when John Mendenhall was appointed constable for “Concord liberty.”
John bought 300 acres from William Penn on Sept. 14, 1681 while still in England, costing 6 lb. per 500 acres. On Feb. 6, 1683 Penn requested a survey for this land, which laid out in Concord Township, John being the first recorded purchaser of land in Concord. His patent is dated June 27, 1684.
It was probably in the autumn of 1682 that John made his voyage to Pa. There seems to be no record of the ship on which he made passage. It is likely that it sailed from the port of Bristol. It is probable that he was accompanied by his sister, Mary and his younger brother, Benjamen. He came to Concord township in what was then Chester Co., Penn.
The Chester County court was held at the town of Chester on April 17, 1683. The court records indicate that John Mynail was a juror, and at that same court John Mendenhall was appointed constable for Concord, Liberty township.
A note written July 6, 1683 to J. Harding had been preserved saying: "If thou knowest any such man as John Minall, tell him he may except a small truss of cloth by ye ship Francis & Mary, also a truss of goods by ye same ship for Jno. Kingman, both under ye chare Jno. Burns for delivery and of him they must enquire for it when said ship comes. (Signed) John Hitchcock." John Hitchcock of Bristol, England had close contact with the Mendenhall family. In Concord Township, John was a close associate of John Harding. A record of somewhat later court session of the Chester Co., court indicates that Jonh Mendenhall and John Harding were accused of selling whiskey to Indians. It is possible that these young men might have done this as a means of ensuring that the Indians would not steal their hogs.
John sold 100 acres of his tract to his brother in law, Thomas Martin on Nov. 27, 1686. John placed the remainder of this tract in a trust for his three young sons on March 8, 1692. John continued to enjoy the use of the property until the sons reached their majority and did not prevent him from donating land for the new Concord Meeting House, stables and graveyard on Dec. 13, 1697.
John bought 250 acres in Concord Township from John Harding(who bought the land from William Penn in England in Sept. 1681) which was surveyed to Harding on Feb. 13, 1683. John's papent is dated June 26, 1684. John assigned these 250 acers to his brother, Benjamen, in June 1686.
John was an original shareholder in the Concord Mill, one of the five mills in Chester County. The deed by which John transferred land to the Concord Monthly Meeting of the Quakers follows: "Know all men by these presents that John Mendenhall of the township of Concord in the County of Chester, yeoman, for the consideration of five shillings amount money of Penns., to him paid by Nicholas Newlin, Nicholas Pyle both of the said Township, yeoman, George Pearce of the Township of Thornbury in the said county, yeoman, and Peter Dix of Birmin."
John Mendenhall came from Mildenhall, Suffolk, England in the ship "Unicorn" with two of his brothers, Moses and Benjamin. They arrived in Philadelphia on 12/16/1685. John settled in Chester Co., PA. He was one of the earliest settlers of Concord where he was an original shareholder in the Concord Mill [The Mendenhalls : A Genealogy by Henry Hart Beeson, p. 4]. Moses, who was not a Quaker, ended up returning to England and continuing his line there. Both John and Benjamin were Quakers [Mendenhall Family in America by Arthur Hamilton, p. 1].
"JOHN MENDENHALL came from England, from a town of Suffolk, called Mildenhall, that being the original family name. He was one of the earliest settlers in Concord, and in 1685 he was married to Elizabeth, the daughter of George Maris, of Springfield township. He was a Friend, and was active and influential in the Society. In 1697 he granted the ground occupied by Concord Friends' Meeting House and graveyard. In 1708, his wife being deceased, he contracted a second marriage with Hester Dix, the widow of Peter Dix of Birmingham. They were married at Concord MM on October 2, 1708.
His children by his first wife were George, John and Aaron. It is not known that he had any by his second wife--Smith's History of Delaware County, PA.
First Families of Chester County, PA, Vol. I : (p. 62) -- Moses' son, John arrived at Concord in 1684, settling on 300 acres purchased from William Penn by original patent dated 6/27/1684. He married first, Elizabeth Maris of Springfield. His 2nd wife was the widow Hester Dix of Birmingham (widow of Peter Dix). This marriage was held on the 8th monght, 1708 at Concord Meeting House.