Historical records matching John Maclaurin, Lord Dreghorn
About John Maclaurin, Lord Dreghorn
Maclaurin, Lord Dreghorn, John. 15/12/1734-24/12/1796. Ref: 1011. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Hon.
- Place of Birth: Edinburgh.
- Place of Death: Edinburgh.
- Place of interment: Greyfriars Cemy, Edinburgh.
- Profession: Advocate.
- Appointments Held: Advocate 1756; Private legal practice; Senator of the College of Justice 1788-96.
- Schools and Tutors: High School, Edinburgh 1745-7.
- Undergraduate Studies: Edinburgh University.
- Publications: "The Philosopher's Opera" 1757, "Obervations on some points of Law with a System of the Juridical Law of Moses; Essays in Verse" 1769, "Arguments and Decisions in the High Court" 1774.
- Marital Status: Married (1762) Esther Cunningham d.1780.
- Mother: Anne Stewart.
- Father: Colin Maclaurin 1698-1746 Professor of Mathematics.
- References: DNB 35, 1893, 198-9; F J Grant 1944; Anderson 3, 38; Shapin 315; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage, 2, 1981, 59; W P Anderson 1931, 394.
- Memberships: Highland Society (Director).
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Service to the RSE: Councillor 1789-96.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 602