Historical records matching John Manners, 3rd Duke of Rutland
About John Manners, 3rd Duke of Rutland
John Manners, 3rd Duke of Rutland KG PC (21 October 1696 – 29 May 1779) was an English nobleman, the eldest son of John Manners, 2nd Duke of Rutland and Catherine Russell. Styled Marquess of Granby from 1711, he succeeded to the title in 1721, cutting short a brief career in the House of Commons, where he had represented Rutland as a Whig.
He held a variety of government and court positions including Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire 1721–1779, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 1727–1736, Lord Steward of the Household 1755–1761, and Master of the Horse 1761–1766.
In 1717 he married Bridget Sutton, the 17-year-old heiress of Robert Sutton, 2nd Baron Lexinton. They had eleven children, most of whom died young:
- Lady Catherine Rachel Manners (b. 1718), died young
- Lady Caroline Manners (b. spring 1719), died young
- Lady Frances and Lady Bridget Manners (d. 30 December 1719), twins
- John Manners, Marquess of Granby (1721–1770)
- Lord Robert Manners-Sutton (1722–1762)
- Lord George Manners-Sutton (1723–1783)
- Lord William Manners (29 July 1724 – 11 March 1730)
- Lady Leonora Manners (d. June 1740)
- Lady Frances Manners (c. 1726 – 3 February 1739)
- Lord Frederick Manners (b. 17 February 1728)
In 1722 he became a Knight of the Order of the Garter and in 1727 was sworn of the Privy Council. He supported the creation of London's Foundling Hospital and was one of its founding governors when it received its royal charter in 1739.
- Descendants of Sir Robert de Manners, of Etal
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source?][better source needed]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Manners,_3rd_Duke_of_Rutland
- 'John Manners, 3rd Duke of Rutland
- 'M, #13483, b. 21 October 1696, d. 29 May 1779
- Last Edited=16 Feb 2009
- Consanguinity Index=0.01%
- ' John Manners, 3rd Duke of Rutland was born on 21 October 1696. He was the son of John Manners, 2nd Duke of Rutland and Catherine Russell. He married Bridget Sutton, daughter of Robert Sutton, 2nd Baron Lexinton of Aram and Margaret Hungerford, on 27 August 1717. He died on 29 May 1779 at age 82.
- ' He gained the title of 3rd Duke of Rutland in 1721.
- 'Children of John Manners, 3rd Duke of Rutland and Bridget Sutton
- 1.John Manners, Marquess of Granby+ b. 2 Jan 1721, d. 18 Oct 1770
- 2.Lord Robert Manners-Sutton b. 1722, d. 1772
- 3.Lord George Manners-Sutton+ b. 8 Mar 1723, d. 7 Jan 1783
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p1349.htm#i13483
John Manners, 3rd Duke of Rutland's Timeline
October 21, 1696
Grantham, Leicestershire, , England
January 2, 1721
Kelham, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, England
February 21, 1722
March 8, 1723
May 29, 1779