view all 29
About John Martin, of Swansea
- OTHER REFERENCES NAME JOHN MARTIN'S FATHER AS RICHARD MARTIN?
- John Martin
- Birth: Feb. 16, 1634 Ottery St Mary, Devon, England
- Death: Mar. 21, 1713 Swansea, Bristol County, Massachusetts, USA
- John was the child of Edward Martin and Judith Upham. John was married to Joanna Esten on April 26, 1671 in Swansea, Massachusetts. John and Joanna had the following children. Jemima Salisbury, Melatiah Martin, John Martin, Ephraim Martin, Ann Round, Robert Martin, Manasseh Martin, Joanna Short, Ebenezer Martin, and Judith Luther.
- John Martin is the...
- +great-great-grandfather of:
- .... etc.
- Family links:
- Joanna Esten Martin (1645 - 1733)*
- Jemima Martin Salisbury (1672 - ____)*
- Melatiah (or Malatiah) Martin (1673 - 1761)*
- John Martin (1674 - 1757)*
- Ephraim Martin (1676 - 1734)*
- Ann Martin Round (1678 - 1759)*
- Manassah Martin (1681 - 1754)*
- Johanna Martin Short (1683 - 1756)*
- Ebenezer Martin (1684 - 1727)*
- Judith Martin Luther (1686 - 1751)*
- Burial: Tyler Point Cemetery, Barrington, Bristol County, Rhode Island, USA
- Plot: Outside NE corner of the Bowen plot
- Find A Grave Memorial# 29509646
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=29509646
- ANOTHER REFERENCE NAMES JOHN MARTIN'S FATHER AS EDWARD MARTIN?
- Encyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical by Cutter, William Richard
- Robert Martin, of Badcombe, England, aged forty-four years, with wife Joane, same age, embarked from Weymouth, England, before March 20, 1635, and settled in Weymouth, Massachusetts. He was admitted a freeman, May 13, 1640. In 1645 he was in Plymouth Colony, where he was selectman in 1643, and later removed to Rehoboth. His will was dated May 6, 1660, bequeathing to wife Joane and children ; to brother, Richard Martin, and his children in England ; brother Abraham and cousin Roger Clap, of Dorchester. The widow Joane's will, in 1668, mentions "sister Smith, cousin Clap and the children he had by my kinswoman, Jane Clap ;" kinsman, John Ormsby ; cousins Grace, Thomas and Jacob Ormsby ; brother Upham's children at Malden, and others.
- (I) Richard Martin, brother of Robert Martin and of Abraham Martin, was born in England, and came to New England about 1663. He also settled in Rehoboth, coming thither from England to accept the bequest of his brother, Robert. He made his will when very aged. It was proved May 7, 1695. He bequeathed to sons Richard and Francis, and Richard's eldest son, John, "who are in old England ; to son John, now with me ;" to John Ormsby, the eldest son of his daughter Grace, and to daughters, Grace Ormsby and Annis Chaffee. Abraham Martin also bequeathed to the children of brother Richard and of John Ormsby. Richard Martin was surveyor of highways in Rehoboth in 1669.
- (II) John, son of Richard Martin, was born in England, and came to this country with his father about 1663, settling in Rehoboth, in that part afterward Swansea, and was one of the founders of the Baptist church at Swansea. He was a weaver by trade and a farmer, was appointed constable, June 6, 1671, surveyor
- of highways, June 3, 1673, and June 2, 1685. In 1673 he bought land on New Meadow Neck, near Hundred Acre Cove, and built a house north of Central bridge. He died March 21, 1713-14, aged eighty years. He married, April 26, 1671, Joanna Esten, born June 1, 1645, in Herefordshire, England, daughter of Thomas Esten, who came with Rev. John Myles from England to Rehoboth, and settled at North Providence. Children of John and Joanna (Esten) Martin: Jemima, born May 29, 1672 ; Melatiah, April 30, 1673 ; John, March 15, 1674; Ephraim, mentioned below; Ann, November 14, 1678; Manasseh, February 2, 1681 ; Johanna, February 15, 1683 ; Ebenezer, February 16, 1684; Judith, November 13, 1686.
- (III) Ephraim, third son of John and Joanna (Esten) Martin, was born February 7, 1676, in Rehoboth, and settled on a farm in that town, north of the burying ground, where he died June 25, 1735. He married, October 18, 1699, Thankful Bullock, born June 27, 1681, died July 22, 1762, daughter of Samuel and Thankful (Reneff) Bullock. Children: Edward, born October 22, 1700; Thomas, May 18, 1702; Ephraim, April 19, 1704; Deliverance, September 3, 1706; Experience, 1707; Hopestill, January 16, 1710, Judith, March 28, 1714; Seth, February 24, 1716; Lydia, July 17, 1718; Benjamin, mentioned below; Elizabeth.
- (IV) .... etc.
- ANOTHER REFERENCE NAMES JOHN MARTIN'S FATHER AS EDWARD MARTIN?
- Notices, Genealogical and Historical, of the Martin Family of New England Who Settled At Weymouth and Hingham in 1635
- John Martin was not a member of the church at this time, although he was among the founders of the town of Swansea, and eventually, without doubt, united with the church. .... There is little doubt that John Martin, of Swansea, with the son of Richard Martin, of Rehoboth, although direct and incontestible evidence of the fact is wanting.
- Not much is known of this John Martin, of Swansea, the ancestor of the family. It appears by his will, that in addition to the tilling and management of his farm, he, like most of the early planters of New England, had learned a trade, and that like his uncle Abraham, he was a weaver.
- On the 5th June, 1671, the General Court of Plymouth Colony appointed him Constable for Swansea. On the 3d June, 1673, he was appointed Surveyor of Highways; and on the 2d June, 1685, he was again appointed Surveyor of Highways.* The appear to have been all the public offices he ever filled.
- " John Martin and Johanna Esten were married ye 26th April 1671."† She was the daughter of Thomas Esten,‡ of North Providence, and is said to have been born in Hertfordshire, England, on 1st June, 1645, and that her father's family came to New England with the Rev. John Myles.§
- ISSUE—THIRD GENERATION: ||
- 1. Jemima, b. May 29, 1672.
- 2.+Melatiah, b. April 31, 1673.
- 3.+John, b. March 15, 1674.
- 4.+Ephraim, b. Feb. 7, 1676.
- 5. Ann, b. Nov. 14
- 6.+Manasseh, b. Feb. 2, 1681.
- 7. Johanna, b. Feb. 15, 1682-3.
- 8.+Ebenezer, b. Feb. 16, 1684.
- 9. Judieth, b. Nov. 13, 1686.
- * "Plymouth Colony Records." Vol. 5, pp. 56, 115; vol. 6, p. 167.
- † See Town Records of Swansea, for this marriage.
- ‡ I learn from a member of this family that the name was formerly Eustance.
- § See "The Genealogy of the Family of Martins," Appendix C.
- || Richard Martin, of Rehoboth, being the first, and John Martin, of Swansea, the second generation.
- Pg. 189 or 191 in MyHeritage's listing
- JOHN MARTIN came early from England to America, and was settled in the town of Swanzey. From the best information collected from the memory of ancient people and records of families, the following account is more correct than any other now extant. In the investigation, no one person flung more light on the subject than Captain Joseph Barney, late of Rehoboth, who now lives in Taunton, and was born the 15th day of March, 1731, Old Style, and when he gave the information, was 85 years of age, and in good health; he said, that he saw Meltiah Martin in Swanzey, at the house where Elder Daniel Martin afterwards lived; that when he saw him, he was about 11 years of age, and said Meltiah Martin appeared to be a very old man, as his hair was as white as it could be. Manassah Martin, Meltiah Martin, Ephraim Martin, John Martin and Ebenezer Martin, were all sons of John Martin, who first came over to America. There were also a number of daughters to said John Martin. Captain Joseph Barney was grand-son to John Martin, grand-son of John Martin, who first came over to .... etc.
- CONFUSED TWO JOHN'S, THE JOHN WHO MARRIED JOANNA ESTEN DIED March 21, 1713, HE DID NOT MARRY MERCY BILLINGTON.
- John Martin1
- M, #15301, b. 20 January 1653, d. 28 August 1720
- Father Richard Martin b. 22 Nov 1609, d. 2 May 1694
- Mother Elizabeth Salter b. 20 Oct 1616
- John Martin and Joanna Esten were divorced. John Martin was christened on 20 January 1653 at Ottery St. Mary, Devonshire, England. He married Joanna Esten, daughter of Thomas Esten and Ann Thomas, on 26 April 1671 at Swansea, Bristol, MA. John Martin married Mercy Billington, daughter of Francis Billington and Christian Penn, on 27 June 1681 at Rehoboth, Bristol, MA. John Martin died on 28 August 1720 at Rehoboth, Bristol, MA, at age 67.
- Family Joanna Esten b. 1 Jun 1645, d. 23 Mar 1733
- Ann Martin+ b. 14 Nov 1678
- [S4067] Unknown author, Ancestors of American Presidents by Gary Boyd Roberts, p. 39.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p509.htm#i15301
- ESTEN, Joanna
- b. 1 JUN 1645 Hertfordshire, England
- d. 23 MAR 1732/3 Swansea, Bristol, Mass.
- Marriage: 26 APR 1671
- Spouse: MARTIN, John
- b. 1633 England
- d. 21 MAR 1713/4 Swansea, Bristol, Mass.
- MARTIN, Jemima
- MARTIN, Melatiah
- MARTIN, Ephraim
- MARTIN, Ann
- MARTIN, Manasseh
- MARTIN, Joanna
- MARTIN, Ebenezer
- MARTIN, Judith
- MARTIN, John
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_4d4.htm#27
- Book A, records of the town of Swansea : 1662 to 1705 (1900)
- 15. Ebenezer the son of John Martin & Joanna
- 16. his wife was borne the 16th day of febburary 1684
- 9. Jemima the daughter of John Martin was
- 10. born on the 29th of may: 1672
- 16. John the son of John Martin was born the 15th
- 17. day of Martch 1674-5
- 11. Joanna the daughter of John Martin & Joane
- 12. his wife was borne the 15th Feburary 1682-3
- 1. John Martin was marryed unto Joan
- 2. Eustance (?) Aprill 26th 1671
- 11. Joseph Chafy and An Martin were marryed on the
- 12. 8th of december 1670
- 1. Mallatiah Martin and Rebeckah Brooks
- 2. wear Married November 6th 1696
- INDEX. PART II. BIRTHS
- 21-9. MARTIN, Jemima, of John, . . . . May 29, 1672
- 33-9. MARTIN, Melatiah, of John and Joan, . . . . Aug. 31, 1673
- 22-16. MARTIN, John, of John, . . . . March 15, 1674-5
- 5-26. MARTIN, Ephraim, of John, . . . . Feb. 7, 1676
- 34-3. MARTIN, Manassah, of Joan and Joan, . . . . Feb. 2, 1681
- 24-11. MARTIN, Joanna, of John and Joan, . . . . Feb. 15, 1682-3
- 6-15. MARTIN, Ebenezer, of John and Joan, . . . . Feb. 16, 1684
- 25-8. MARTIN, Judith, of John and Joan, . . . . Nov. 13, 1686
- INDEX. PART II. MARRIAGES
- 93-11. MARTIN, Ann and Joseph Chaffee, . . . . Dec. 8, 1670
- 93-1. MARTIN, John and Joan Enstance, . . . . April 26, 1671
- 105-1. MARTIN, Melatiah and Rebeckah Brooks, . . . . Nov. 6, 1696
- The Spirit of '76: Devoted to the Principles, Incidents, and ..., Volumes 10-12
- .... etc.
- MARTIN, JOHN, Swansey; had John, born 15th March, 1675, and the Colonial Records transcription, of Swansey, give him by wife Joan, Joanna, born 15th February, 1683.
- .... etc.
- A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of ... (1861) Vol. III
- .... JOHN, Swansey, had John, b. 15 Mar. 1675, and the Col. Rec. transcr. of Swansey rec. gives him by w. Joan, d. Joanna, 15 Feb. 1683. JOHN, Rehoboth, m. 27 June 1681 .... etc.
view all 21
John Martin, of Swansea's Timeline
February 16, 1635
Ottery St. Mary, Devon, England
March 15, 1665
Swansea, Bristol County, Massachusetts
May 29, 1672
Swansea, Bristol, Mass
April 30, 1673
Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
February 7, 1676
Swansea, Massachusetts, United States
November 14, 1678
Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States
September 9, 1679
Rehoboth, Bristol Co., Ma
February 2, 1681