About John Maynard, Deacon
John Maynard, Cambridge, 1634, an original proprietor at Hartford; his home lot in 1639 was on the west side of Main St., about where Christ Church now is; surveyor of highways, 1641, 1648; freed from watching, etc, September, 1646; married after May, 1648, Editha, widow of Robert Day, and sister of Deacon Edward Stebbins. He died 1657-8; will dated Jan. 23, 1657-8; inventory February 24, same year, £450. 4. He names wife Editha, her eldest son Thomas Day, youngest son John Day, daughters Sarah and Mary Day. John Day received the property of Maynard, and it is probably in remembrance of him that he named a son Maynard Day. He gives his dwelling-house and lands in Hartford to his wife, and after her decease to go to her youngest son, John Day.
SOURCE: James Hammond Trumbull, editor, The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884, Volume 1 (Boston, Massachusetts: Edward L. Osgood, 1886), pages 251-252. Retrieved: 3 May 2011 from Google Books