John Morgan Davies, Jr.
|Cause of death:||took his own life (barbituate poisoning)|
|Place of Burial:||Lakeview Cemetery, Calumet, Houghton County, Michigan|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for John Morgan Davies, Jr.
About John Morgan Davies, Jr.
- Name: Master John Morgan jr Davies
- Born: Friday 31st July 1903
- Age: 8 years
- Last Residence: in St. Ives Cornwall England
- 2nd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 33112 , £36 15s
- Destination: Houghton Michigan United States
- Rescued (boat 14)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Sunday 16th December 1951
- Buried: Lake View Cemetery Calumet United States
Master John Morgan Davies jr, 10, was born in Cardiff, Wales on 31 July 1903, the son of John Morgan Davies and Agnes Davis (née White). His father died shortly after his birth and so he and his mother returned to St Ives in Cornwall, they lived in the area known as the Stennack.
John's half brother, Richard Nicholls, emigrated to Kearsarge near New Allouez, Houghton County, Michigan and John was to be taken by his mother to join him. They boarded the Titanic at Southampton as second class passengers along with Joseph Charles Nicholls, who was another son of Agnes's first marriage. John, along with his mother, family friend Maude Sincock and Alice Phillips of Ilfracombe, Devon shared a cabin.
John Davies and his mother were probably rescued in lifeboat 14 (another source says boat 3), Joseph Nicholls was lost.
Thirty years later John was living at 2250 Kendall Street, Detroit with his wife Olive Leona Uren from whom he was subsequently divorced in November 1951, they had two children.
John worked as a clerk in a drug store. He took his own life (barbituate poisoning) on 16 December 1951 likely as a result of his divorce. He was buried on 20 December 1951 at the Lakeview Cemetery, Calumet, Houghton County, Michigan. The informant shown on his death certificate was Mrs Martha Copeland, believed to be a married daughter of his.
- Francis "Skip" Morgan Davis born 30 Dec 1932, died March 3, 1991. He married and had 2 children, Larry and Lori.
- Beverly Ann Davis born January 2, 1934 and married David Chambers. They have 3 children, Lee, Bonnie Jo, and Gary Ross Chambers.
- Akron Beacon Journal (Ohio), 20 April 1912, p.1
- Daily Mining Gazette, December 17, 1951, page 2, Obituary
- The Story of the Titanic by Maude Sincock Roberts
- Steve Coombes, UK
- Chris Dohany, USA
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Homer Thiel, USA
- Brian Ticehurst, UK
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mrs Elizabeth Agnes Mary Davies
- Mr Joseph Charles Nicholls
- Miss Maude Sincock
John Morgan Davies, Jr.
The death of John Morgan Davies, Jr., by deliberate barbiturate overdose, was reported in the December 17, 1951, Daily Mining Gazette. The paper stated that he “died suddenly in Detroit Sunday morning.” In the article, they acknowledged his experience in surviving the Titanic disaster. Many reports of his death claim he was despondent over a divorce.