Is your surname Morgan?

Research the Morgan family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

John Hamilton Morgan

Death: August 14, 1894 (52)
Immediate Family:

Son of Garrard Morgan, III and Eliza Ann Morgan

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:
view all

Immediate Family

About John Morgan

John Hamilton Morgan (August 8, 1842 – August 14, 1894), was an early educator in Utah Territory, an official of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), and a politician.


Morgan was born in Greensburg, Decatur County, Indiana, and served as a sergeant in the Union Army in the 123rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment during the American Civil War. After the war he enrolled in Eastman's Commercial College in Poughkeepsie, New York. After graduation, he traveled to Salt Lake City on business, and decided to permanently relocate there.

In 1867 Morgan established the Morgan Commercial College in Salt Lake City, where he tapped a strong interest in business education. He moved the school into larger accommodations several times as enrollment increased. The college provided a number of innovations, including Utah's first free public library, and the first school run by a non-Mormon. The college taught many students that would later rise to prominence in Utah, including Heber J. Grant, Orson F. Whitney, Matthias F. Cowley, and J. Golden Kimball. The college lasted until 1874, when it closed due to intense competition from the University of Deseret (which later became the University of Utah). Although the University of Deseret was founded in 1850, it had been put in a 16-year hiatus until Morgan's success inspired its comeback.

On November 26, 1867, Morgan joined the LDS Church and on October 24, 1868 he married one of his former students, Helen Melvina Groesbeck. After the college closed in 1874, Morgan served as a missionary in the Southern States Mission from 1875 to 1877, returning to the mission again in 1878 to become the mission president. During his term as mission president he was involved with attempts to help the Catawba tribe move to the west to be with the rest of the Saints. On October 8, 1884 he became one of the seven presidents of the Quorums of the Seventy, filling the vacancy created by the death of William W. Taylor, son of church president John Taylor. Morgan served as a general authority for the last 10 years of his life.

Morgan also became involved in Utah politics, and served a term as a representative to the Utah Territorial Legislature as a Republican in 1883.

Morgan died unexpectedly from typhoid-malaria after a two-week convalescence in Preston, Idaho. He was a practicing polygamist, and all three of his wives outlived him. He was arrested on polygamy charges while visiting one of his wives in Manassa, Colorado. One of his widows, Mary Ann Linton (Morgan) was remarried to David King Udall.


In 1876 Mormon missionary John Morgan traveled to Georgia from Salt Lake City, Utah, in an effort to win converts for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). His most important accomplishment was the establishment of a Colorado colony for emigrating southern Latter-day Saints, an achievement rewarded when he was named president of the Southern States Mission.

John Hamilton Morgan was born on August 8, 1842, in Greensburg, Indiana, to Eliza Ann Hamilton and Garrard Morgan. He relocated to Illinois in the years leading up to the Civil War (1861-65), and in 1862 he joined the Union army, mustering into service as a private with the 123rd Illinois Infantry. That regiment was assigned to Colonel John T. Wilder's "Lightning Brigade" of mounted infantry, an innovative military creation used effectively during combat in north Georgia. As a member of Wilder's brigade, Morgan participated in the battles of Chickamauga and Resaca, the assault on Kennesaw Mountain, and the siege of Atlanta.

He mustered out of service in 1865 and made his way to New York, where he completed a business curriculum at Eastman's Commercial College. Opportunity led him to Salt Lake City, and there he became acquainted with and devoted to the LDS Church. In January 1867, with the support of church authorities, he established the Morgan Commercial College for young men and women seeking careers in business, thereby marking the beginning of a lifelong commitment to education. He was baptized in November 1867 and subsequently ordained an elder.

Morgan's reputation grew quickly within the Mormon community, and in 1875 he was called as a missionary to the newly organized Southern States Mission. He did not immediately go south; instead, he labored for many months in Indiana and Illinois alongside missionary companion Joseph Standing, before making his way to Georgia in 1876. His mission field, established in the rugged and mountainous counties of northwest Georgia (with a base in Rome), produced so many converts that locals soon dubbed the region "Utah." Morgan initially established small branches of the LDS Church in Georgia, then made plans to "gather" the new adherents to the West. In 1877 he led the first party of Georgians to Colorado, where southern Latter-day Saints established the cooperative settlement of Manassa in 1879.

In 1878, his first mission completed, the LDS Church called Morgan to resume his southern duties and gave him authority over the entire Southern States Mission. He was serving in that capacity in 1879 when Standing, his friend and fellow missionary, was murdered in Whitfield County by a mob of twelve north Georgians. Morgan pressed Georgia authorities to bring the murderers to justice, but he was intensely disappointed when Whitfield County juries acquitted the mob members of Standing's murder.

During the 1880s, Morgan effectively divided his time between the South and the West. From his headquarters at Rome, he supervised the work of hundreds of missionaries assigned to southern mission fields. But frequent visits to Salt Lake City allowed Morgan to pursue other church and political activities. He served in the territorial legislature in Utah and worked in the campaign for statehood and the establishment of Utah's Republican Party. His continuing efforts on behalf of the church—and his willingness to labor in the volatile southern states—were recognized in 1884 when he was chosen and ordained one of the First Seven Presidents of Seventies, an important position in the hierarchy of the LDS Church.

Morgan dedicated twelve years to the Southern States Mission. In 1888 he left his office as president and returned to Utah. He died on August 14, 1894, at the age of fifty-two.

view all

John Morgan's Timeline

August 8, 1842
August 14, 1894
Age 52