Historical records matching William Peters, Sr.
About William Peters, Sr.
Family and Education
b. 20 Dec. 1549, 3rd but 1st surv. s. of Sir William Petre by his 2nd w. educ. M. Temple 1567. m. 1570, Mary, da. of Sir Edward Waldegrave†, of Borley, surv. s. inc. William. suc. fa. 1573. Kntd. 1576; cr. Baron Petre 1603. d. 11 Oct. 1613.
- A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and ... by John Burke
- SIR WILLIAM PETRE, of Tor Brian, Devonshire, secretary of state to HENRY VIII. married, for his second wife, Anne, daughter of Sir William Browne, lord mayor of London in 1514, and was father of
- SIR JOHN PETRE, who was elevated In the peerage as Lord Petre, Baron of Writtle, in 1603. His Iordship married Mary, daughter of Sir Edward Waldegrave, knt. of Barclay, in Essex, and was s. at his decease in 1637 by his son,
- WILLIAM, second Lord Petre, of Writtle, who married Catherine, second daughter of Edward, fourth Earl of Worcester, and had
- I. ROBERT, third Lord Petre.
- II. William, ancestor of the Petres of Bellhouse.
- lII. Thomas.
- IV. JOHN, of whom presently.
- V. Henry.
- VI. George
- I. Elizabeth, m. to William Sheldon, esq. of Beoley, in Worcestershire.
- II. Mary, m. to John, Lord Teynham.
- III. Catherine, m. to John Carrel, of Harting, in Sussex.
- The fourth son,
- THE HON. JOHN PETRE, waa of Fidlers, in Essex. He married thrice. By his first wife, Elizabeth (who d. in 1658), daughter of Thomas Pordage, esq. of Radmersham, he left, at his decease in 1696, a son and successor,
- JOHN PETRE, esq. of Fidlers, who married Mary, daughter of Sir Francis Mannock, bart of Gifford's Hall, and was father of
- JOSEPH PETRE, esq. of Fidlers, who m. Catherine, daughter of Sir William Andrews, bart. of Hildersham, in the county of Cambridge, and left at his decease, in 1721, a son and heir,
- JOHN PETRE, esq. of Fidlers, who m. Anne, daughter of Sir Robert Throckmorton, bart of Weston, and had (with other issue, who d. s. p.) a daughter, MARY, who married FRANCIS CANNING, esq. of Foxcote, and was ultimately sole heir to the family of Petre of Fidlers.
William Peters, Sr.'s Timeline
June 24, 1575
West Horndon, Essex, England
Writtle, Essex, England, United Kingdom