About John Phillips
Pelorus Guardian and Miners' Advocate, Volume 11, Issue 56, 31 July 1900:
A very old settler of this district, Mr John Phillips, was found dead on the Mahakipawa mud-fiat, between the Wharf and Mr J. Fulton’s residence, at 2 p.m. on Sunday last. No knowledge of the manner in which he met his death is available, he having left Mahakipawa for Mr Fulton’s in the evening, and not again heard of until his body was discovered, No suspicions of foul play are, however, entertained, the deceased being of an amicable disposition, and popular amongst the residents of tho district. The deceased, who was 68 years of ago, was a native of the parish of Bodmin, Cornwall, England, first arriving in New Zealand by the ship William Bryan, on April 1st., 1841, and landed at New Plymouth. During his residence in Taranaki, he was engaged throughout the Maori hostilities in that Province, and, for valued services in tho campaign, was presented with a revolver by General Cameron. Since his arrival in Marlborough, he has been employed in pastoral pursuits, in this district being at times in the service of Messrs Nees and Levien, at Okaramio, and Messrs Fulton and Gregg, at Mahakipawa, by the former of whom he was employed at the date of his death. The deceased was also a brother-in-law of Mr George Climo, senr., of this town. An inquest will be hold at Mahakipawa to-day.