John Pearce (Peirce)
|Also Known As:||"Pers"|
|Birthplace:||Bristol, Somerset, England|
|Death:||Died in Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts|
Son of Richard Pearce, of Providence and Martha Jacobs
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for John "the cooper" Pierce, of Dorchester
About John "the cooper" Pierce, of Dorchester
John Pearce aka Pers
- Born 1610 in Bristol, Somerset, England
- Died August 19, 1661 in Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts Bay Colony
- Son of Richard Pearce / Pierce I and Martha
- Married 1) Mary 2)Rebecca, widow of Thomas Wheeler
from Frederick C. Pierce, (1888, Rockford, IL).
“While John resided in Dorchester his uncle, Capt. Wm. Pearse, was sent by Gov. Winthrop to Ireland with his ship Lyon for provisions for the colony, as there was a scarcity one year. Oct. 8, 1633, John was selected as one of the first selectmen of Dorchester. He was one of the first grantees of lands in that town prior to 1636.”
John PIERCE immigrated about 1630. He died on 17 Sep 1661 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA.(18922) (18923) He had an estate probated on 11 Oct 1661 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA.(18924) He was born in Bristol, Gloucester Co., ENG.(18925)
Parents: Richard PEARCE and Martha (Mrs. Richard Pearce).
He was married to Parnell (Mrs. John Pierce) about 1631. Children were: Joseph PIERCE, Abiah PIERCE, John PIERCE, Nehemiah PIERCE.
He was married to Mary (m. John Pierce) about 1638 in MA.
He was married to Rebecca WHEELER on 10 Aug 1654 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA.
- From the references listed below some stating two John Pearce's have been confounded and the husband of Rebecca (wid. Wheeler) & Mary did not also marry a wife Parnell.
- Pearce genealogy: being the record of the posterity of Richard Pearce, an ... By Frederick Clifton Pierce
- Pg. 38
- Richard20 Pearce, Jr., (Richard19) b. 1590; m. in England Martha ___. He resided in Bristol, England, and came to America in the ship "Lyons" from that place. His brother, Capt. William Pearce, was master of the ship.
- Pg. 37
- 1. RICHARD21 PEARCE (Richard20, Richard19,) b. 1615 in England; m. in Portsmouth, R.I., in 1642, Susannah Wright, who was born in 1620. He died in Portsmouth in 1678 and she was deceased at that time. .....
- Pg. 38
- He married, probably in 1642, Susannah, daughter of George Wright of Newport, .... His will was drawn April 23, 1677, and was proved in Portsmouth Oct. 28, 1678. His son Richard was executor and he calls him his "eledest son." ....
- Pg. 39
- Richard's children were:
- 1. i. RICHARD, b. Oct. 3, 1643; m. Experience ___.
- ii. MARTHA, b. Sept. 13, 1645; m. Mahershallalhashboz Dyer of Portsmouth, born about 1643; d. 1670. He was the son of William and Catharine Dyer of England, Boston, Portsmouth and Newport. March 22, 1661, he signed certain articles relative to Westerly lands. She d.s.p. Feb. 24, 1744.
- 2. iii. JOHN, b. Sept. 8, 1647; m. Mary Tallman.
- 3. iv. GILES, b. July 22, 1651; m. Elizabeth Hall.
- v. SUSANNAH, b. Nov. 22, 1652; m. Dec. 4, 1673, George Brownell, b. 1646. She d. Dec. 24, 1743. Ch. -- .....
- vi. MARY, b. May 6, 1654, m. 1678 Thomas Brownell, Jr., b. 1650. Ch.-- .....
- Pg. 40.
- vii. JEREMIAH b. Nov. 17, 1656. He res. in Narragansett or South Kingston, R.I.
- viii. ISAAC, b. Dec. 1658. He res. in Newport, R.I.
- 4. ix. SAMUEL, b. Dec. 22, 1664; m. ___ ___.
- 5. x. GEORGE, b. July 10, 1662; m. Alice Hart and Temperance Kirby.
- 2. JOHN21 PEARCE (Richard20, Richard19) b. in Bristol, England, probably; m. Mary ___ in England. she d. in Boston, July 12, 1647; m. 2nd, Aug. 10, 1654, Mrs. Rebecca Wheeler. she res. in Dorchester, Mass., and died Dec. 1674. He d. Sept. 17. 1661.
- P. 427, L. 42. *JOHN, Dorchester: Savage has here confounded two persons of the same name, rightly distinguished in the Hist. Dorch. p. 71. His note (p. 659) admits an uncertainty but does not correct the error of the text.
- 1. John Dorchester, cooper, had by his w. Mary, Nehemiah, b. 17 Jan. 1631/2, and Mary, b. 6 Mar. 1639/9 (Gen. Reg., Vol. V. p. 244); sold house and land in Dorch., 28 Dec. 1642, to Richard Curtis, his w. not signing (Suff. Deeds, L. 2, F. 151) and prob rem. to Boston. This is clearly the John who m. Rebecca Wheeler, 10 Aug. 1654, and d. 17 Sept. 1661, and his s. Samuel seems to me to have been b. in Boston 14 Jan. 1659/60 (Savage, p. 429, l. 6). His will (Suff Prob., no. 276. ) mentions estate "at Boston or Dorchester," gives to Nehemiah the testator's "working tools," and provides for the education of Samuel, whom Savage rightly, as I think, judges to be younger than N. Mercy P., who m. Mannasses Marston at Charlestown, 22 Aug., 1667 (Charlestown Records), seems to have been the dau. of this John (Suff. Deeds, L. 15, F. 160); but she cannot have been the dau. of Rebecca. Administration on the est. of Rebecca P. was granted to her s., Joseph Wheeler, 21 Dec., 1674. (Suff. Prob. no 713, L. 5, F. 220.) See also Suff. Deeds, L. 3., F. 190.
- I am disposed to identify this John with the John Pears whose names stands seventeenth in the list of inhabitants of
- Pg. 41
- Dorchester in 1641 (Hist. Dorch., p. 424), and who ....
- 6. i. NEHEMIAH, b. Jan. 17, 1631; m. Phebe Planting and Mrs. Anna Mosley.
- ii. MARY, b. Mar. 6, 1638; d. bef. 1661.
- 7. iii. SAMUEL, b. m. Mary ___.
- Pg. 42
- iv. MERCY, b. m. Aug 22, 1667 Manassah Marston, son of John and Sarah of Salem. The father came from Ormsby, Norfolk county, England, in 1637. Mercy was living in 1716. He was b. Sept. 7, 1645; d. 1705. ....
- v. MEHITABLE, b. m. Jeremiah Rogers. ....
- vi. EXERCISE.
- vii. MARY. She was unm. in 1661.
- Pierce genealogy : being the record of the posterity of Thomas Pierce, an early inhabitant of Charlestown, and afterwards Charlestown village (Woburn), in New England, with wills, inventories, biographical sketches, etc. (1882)
- A GENEALOGICAL DICTIONARY
- John, Dorchester, mariner, came from Stepney, Middsx. Co., Eng, by wf. Parnell had Joseph, b. Sept. 30, 1631 ; Abigail, b. July 17, 1633 ; John, b. March 3, 1634, d. March 30, 1634; Nehemiah, b. July 12, 1637, d. Sept., 1639. His wf. Parnell d. Sept., 1639.
- John, Dorchester, adm. freeman 1631, selectman 1633-6-41, prop, of lands, 1656, Rep. Mar., 1639, rev. to Boston, 1642; his first wife Mary d. July 12, 1647, and he m. then, Aug. 10, 1654, Rebecca Wheeler, wid. of Thomas Wheeler. Ch. Nehemiah ; Samuel ; Mehitable ; Mary ; Marcy ; and Exercise. He was a cooper and d. Sept. 17, 1651. See Hist. Dorchester, p. 71. Savage has these two last Johns confounded.
- Nehemiah, Boston, cooper, 1661; art. Co. 1671; m. 1684, Ann, Wid. of Samuel Mosely, eldest dau. of Isaac Addington and d. 1691. Admr. was giv. Apr. 28 of this yr. to his wid.
FROM OTHER REFERENCES THIS SOURCE HAS CONFOUNDED TWO JOHN'S
- The Pioneers of Massachusetts, a Descriptive List, Drawn from Records of the ... By Charles Henry Pope
- Pg. 360
- PIERCE, PEARCE, PEARS, PEARSE, PEIRCE, PIERS,
- John, cooper, Dorchester, propr., frm. May 18, 1631. Town officer. Rem. to Boston. Sold Dorch. property 28 (12) 1642. Adm. inhab. Bo. 28 (12) 1641. Wife Parnell d. (8) 1639; he m.2, Mary __; she d., and he m.3, 10 (6) 1654, Rebecca Wheeler, widow, of Boston. Ch. Joseph b. 30 (8) 1631, Abigail b. 17 (5) 1633, John b. 3 (1) 1634-5, Nehemiah b. 1637, d. 1639, Mary b. 6 (1) 1640, Nehemiah b. 17 (11) 1641.
- Will prob. Oct. 11, 1661; wife Rebe son Samuel and Nehemiah, daus. M Mercy and Exercise. Est. at Bo. and Do [Reg. X, 359.)
John "the cooper" Pierce, of Dorchester's Timeline
Bristol, Somerset, England
January 17, 1632
Boston, MA, USA
March 6, 1638
Boston, MA, USA
Boston, MA, USA
Dorchester, Suffolk, Mass.
October 19, 1642
Dorchester, Massachusetts Bay Colony
September 7, 1646
Essex Co., MA