John Adams, of Barton St. David
|Birthplace:||Barton St. David, Somerset, England|
|Death:||Died in Barton Saint David, Somerset, England|
|Place of Burial:||Barton, St. David, Somersetshire, England, UK|
Son of John Adams, of Barton St. David; Henry Adams, of Barton St. David; <private> Adams; Margery Adams; Rose Adams
|Occupation:||Weaver of Barton David, Husbandman|
|Managed by:||Andrew Clayton Wyatt|
Matching family tree profiles for John Adams, of Barton St. David
About John Adams, of Barton St. David
John Adams was born in 1 Jan 1555 in Farleigh Hungerford, Somerset, England, and was christened there. He died on 22 Mar 1604 in Compton Dundon, Somerset, England and was buried on 22 Mar 1604 in Barton St. David, Somerset, England. Ref: AFN: 2308-QS4
- Parents: Henry Adams (b c 1531-) & Rose.
- about 1576 to Agnes Stone at Barton St. David. She was bur. there on Jan.15, 1615/16. Daughter of John Stone & Agnes.
John and Agnes had 4 children:
- John Adams; b. c1577 at Barton St. David; moved to Misterton, Somerset, with his parents; after his father's death he moved to Compston Dundon (3 miles west of Barton St. David) apparently to comply with a provision of his father's will that he be living on his own before receiving his inheritance. John married and had five children, but his wife's name is unknown.
- a daughter m. Roger Warfield; in c 1598. He was a church warden of Charlton Adam, Somersetshire in 1607. They had at least 2 children.
- a daughter m. Richard French; in c1581. He was from Misterton. They had at least 3 children.
- Henry Adams (1583-1646) m. Edith Squire (1587-1672/3). They are the immigrant ancestors.
- John Adams (1555-1604) was born in Barton St. David, Somersetshire, England. He was a yeoman husbandman, and became a bondsman. John Adams died after his will was drawn, but before he could sign it.
- Wilma Fleming Haynes Notes: When his father Henry died Aug 1596 that was the first known of John. His father left no will and thus John was granted the administraion of his father's estate on August 12, 1596. John became bondsman for Agnes widow of John Stone of Barton St. David, county Somersetshire, England. She was the executrix of the will of her late husband John Stone. John Adams married abt. 1576 their daughter Agens Stone it is believed the daughter of Agnes and John Stone. John Adams was the bondsman for Agens Stone; she being his mother-in-law, which was quite common in those days.
- Parish records do not exist in Barton St. David before 1704.
- The summary of John'w will reads: 1. To Roger & Judith Warfield (the) children of Roger Warfield (son-in-law) of Charleton Mackrell, county Somersetshire, England (name of his wife is not known) 2. To John, Stephen & Mary French children of Richard French (son-in-law) of Misterton, Somersetshire, England (Richard married Judith Adams parents of Judith French who came to New England with Rev. Joseph Hull.) 3. To Katheren Adams daughter of John Adams, Jr. of Misterton, Somersetshire, England. 4. To son John & his children John & Katherene. (Note: son, John was left 20 for himself & his children. If not he shall receive 10 pounds and ten should go to his children. His wife was probably deceased at this time.) His will was exhibited June 26, 1609 by Roger Warfield of Charlton Adam, who was made guardian of John's children John & Katherene (his son-in-law). In the diocesan records there is a bond for administration for this estate by his widow Agnes dated August 7, 1605. Her sureties being John & Richard Bartlett.
- John's father, Henry Adams (c1531-___?) lived all his life in Barton St. David. He was also a yeoman husbandman and became a bondsman. He served as a court witness on several legal matters. When he was 8 years old he may have witnessed the brutal public hanging, beheading, and quartering of Richard Whiting, the last of Glastonbury's Abbots in 1539. Henry Adams' wife was named Rose ___?*, and she is the mother of John Adams* (1555-1604).
- Henry's father was John Adams (c1500/05-___?) who also lived all his life at Barton St. David. He is the earliest known member of this Adams family line. He is listed in the Muster Roll for the tything of Barton in 1539 as "able bylman fyndyng harnys". He was charged with the duty of providing one "bowe" (bow) with a sheath of arrows as a tax on his goods. His wife was Alys (Alice) ___?* and she is the mother of Henry Adams (c1531-___?).
- Researcher Wilma Fleming Haynes show that John was born about 1553-1554. "Henry Adams of Somersetshire, England and Braintree, Mass. His English Ancestry and Some of His Descendants" by Edward Dean Adams, Researcher Pam Emerson, "Immigrant Ancestors Allied to Certain Bryan and Aulls Family Lines" by Leslie Aulls Bryan, Ph.D., and "Ancestors of American Presidents" by Gary Boyd Roberts, 1995 shows that he was born in about 1555. No birth year is found in "The Compendium of American Genealogy", by Frederick A. Virkus (Volume IV) and "Immigrants to America Before 1750", by Frederick A. Virkus (Volume I).
- Henry Adams of Somersetshire, England and Braintree, Mass., compiled by J. Gardner Bartlett for Edward Dean Adams, privately printed, New York, 1927.
- Dorset Pilgrims, by Frank Thistlethwaite, pub. by Heart of the Lakes, Interlaken NY, 1993.
- Ref.1; AFN: 1CT0-GR
- Ref.2; Burke's Peerage Limited. Burke's Presidential Families of the United States of America. New York: Arco Publishing Co., 1975.
- Ref.3; Fairbanks, Hiram Francis. "English Ancestry of Henry Adams of Braintree", The New England Historical and Genealogical Register volume LIX (59) (July 1905).
- Ref.4; New England Historical and Genealogical Register (Boston, MA: New England Historical and Genealogical Society),Vol. 86, p. 115
Ref.5: Frederick Chester Warner, "The Ancestry of Samuel Freda and John Warner," 5 vols. (Boston, MA: typescript 1949, 1955)
- Ref.6: Andrew N. Adams, A Genealogical History of Henry Adams of Braintree, Massachusetts and His Descendants; Also John Adams of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1632-1897 (Rutland, VT: Tuttle,1898) [Reprinted Newburyport, MA: Parker River Researchers, 1984]
- Ref.7: Sarah Anna Emery, Reminiscences of a Newburyport Nonagenarian (Newburyport, MA: William H. Huse & Co., Printers, 42 State Street; 1879)ort, MA: William H. Huse & Co., Printers, 42 State Street; 1879.Page: 54.
- Ref.8: Lewis Keeler Leonard and Melvena Burris Leonard, Seven Hundred Ancestors (Privately published, 1975)Page: 1.
- Ref.9: Dennis Zank 647 N. Sheldon,Charlotte, MI 48813-1228 U. S. A., 1998228 U. S. A., 1998228 U. S. A. 1998.
n 1609 Henry Adams was married in the parish church. In 1638, when he was aged 55, he travelled to America with his family. His great grandson was John Adams and his great-grandson was John Quincy Adams - the 2nd and 6th Presidents of the USA. A commemorative plaque is in the church's chancel.
John Adams Male, #14, (about 1555 - )
John Adams was born about 1555 in Barton, St. David, Somersetshire, England.1 He was the son of Henry Adams and Rose unknown.1,2 On 1 February 1575 John, married Agnes Stone, at age 19, daughter of John Stone and Agnes unknown, in Barton, St. David, Somersetshire, England.2,1 John Adams left a will in 1603 in Barton, St. David, Somersetshire, England.3 He was buried on 22 March 1604 in Barton, St. David, Somersetshire, England.1
Ancestry of Robert Roy (#1) Ancestry of Robert Roy (#2) Ancestry of Robert Roy (#3) Ancestry of Robert Roy (#4)
Children of John Adams and Agnes Stone
daughter Adams (a 1579 - ) daughter Adams (a 1581 - ) Henry Adams+3,1 (21 Jan 1583 - 6 Oct 1646)
Burke's Peerage Limited. Burke's Presidential Families of the United States of America. New York: Arco Publishing Co., 1975. Ancestral File. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, 1994. Fairbanks, Hiram Francis. "English Ancestry of Henry Adams of Braintree", The New England Historical and Genealogical Register volume LIX (59) (July 1905).
John Adams, of Barton St. David's Timeline
January 1, 1555
Barton St. David, Somerset, England
August 7, 1555
St Botolph, A, England, G.B.
Ditchet, Somerset, England
Barton, St. David, Somerset, England
Of,Barton St. David,Somerset,England
January 21, 1583
Barton St. David, Somerset, England
August 7, 1595
St Botolph, a, England
August 7, 1595
Barton, St David, Somerset, England