About Gent. John Robbins
John Robbins, Sr
Birth: unknown, England Death: Jun. 27, 1660 Wethersfield Hartford County Connecticut, USA
Gentleman John Robbins, the immigrant ancestor of the Wethersfield, Conn. Robbins family, d. intestate and of record at Wethersfield June 27, 1660. The inventory of his estate totaling £579-18-04 was made July 2, 1660.
There is much conflicting and unsubstantiated claims regarding the origins and parentage of John Robbins. The memorialist choses not to further undocumented information in this memorial for his ancestor and to refer to John simply as John Robbins, Sr.
John purportedly m. a Mary Wells in England. Regardless of whether she was John's wife and the mother of all his children, the wife of the immigrant John Robbins, called Mary in the Wethersfield records, purportedly d. "about the middle of Sept. 1659." On Oct. 4, 1660 administration of John Robbins' estate was granted to Richard Treat, Thomas and Samuel Welles, along with John Chester who was "to preserve the Estate for the Relict." Then on June 5, 1662 when the first order to distribute the estate was made the record does not include any mention of John's wife. As a consequence, the memorialist has adjusted the more probable date of death of the widow Mary to Sept. 1661.
An extended bio will be added later. John's estate in Manwaring's Digest of the Hartford Probate District, vol. I, p. 146, citing probate vol. II, pp. 141-2, follows:
• John Robbins, Wethersfield, inventory of £579-18-04 taken July 2, 1660 by Richard Treat, Thomas Welles & Samuel Welles. • Administration granted Oct. 4, 1660 to Mr. Treat, Mr. Thomas & Mr. Samuel Welles, with John Chester to preserve the estate for the relict. Order to distribute from the Magistrates on June 5, 1662 as follows:
To John Robbins, (£ s d) 150-00-00; Joshua, 120-00-00; Mary, 109-00-00; Hannah, 100-00-00; Comfort, 100-00-00.
• It is granted to Mr. Kimberly, that is to match with Mary Robbins, that he shall keep the young children till they come to age, and the House and Land are bound over, as also the Estate of Mr. Kimberly, both what he hath and his wives portion, for ye discharge of ye 3 young children who Mr. Kimberly is to educate in reading and writing, and Mr. William Wadsworth and Samuel Boreman to Dist. the Estate. • (Vol. III, New Book). Court Record, Page 62-May 7, 1667: Dist. of John Robbins' Estate, net £509-19-00, to:
To John Robbins in Houseing & Lands, (£ s d) 133-16-00; To Joshua in Lands, 107-05-00; To ye Eldest daughter Mary, 98-17-00; To Hannah Robbins, 90-00-06; To Comfort Robbins, 90-00-06.
[Distrib.] By William Wadsworth and Samuel Boreman, followed in detail by "The Lands devided." • Page 104-Nov. 23, 1670: Mr. John Robbins complaint, this Court appoint Mr. Kimberly to bring into Court the 1st Wednesday of January next an Accot of the Estate of Mr. Robbins when he came to the possession thereof, both Debts & Credits, & how the Estate Came to fall short of the Invt; as also a true account of every part of the sd. Mr. Robbins' Estate that hath com into his possession that hath not ben Inventoried.
The children of Gent. John Robbins and wife Mary, all but son Samuel b. of record at Wethersfield, Conn., are:
• i. Samuel Robbins, b. circa 1639, d. unm. Nov. 1659.
• ii. Mary Robbins, b. Jan. 20, 1640/41, d. circa 1680 at Wethersfield; m. circa June 1662 as his first wife, Eleazer Kimberly, s. of Thomas and Alice Kimberly, bapt. Nov. 17, 1639 at New Haven, Conn. and d. Feb. 3, 1709/10 at Glastonbury, Conn., Æ 71. There are no known children of the marriage. Eleazer m. 2) Ruth Curtis, dau. of Thomas Curtis and Elizabeth Salmon, by who he had five children.
• iii. Hannah Robbins, b. Apr. 10, 1643, d. Mar. 3, 1713/4 at Wethersfield, Conn, Æ 71; m. at Wethersfield Nov. 1, 1667, Deac. & Lieut. John Warner, b. circa 1645 and d. Feb. 20, 1713/4 at Wethersfield, Æ 69 (g.s.). Six children of the family.
• iv. Comfort Robbins, b. Oct. 12, 1646; m. circa 1665 Theophilus Sherman.
• v. John Robbins, Jr., b. Sep. 20, 1649, d. testate July 10, 1689 at Wethersfield, Conn., Æ 40; m. Apr. 24, 1675 at Wethersfield as her first husband, Mary Boardman (q.v. Boreman), dau. of Samuel Boardman and Mary Betts, b. Feb 4, 1644/5 at Wethersfield. Five children of the family. Mary m. 2) an unknown Denison and d. testate as Mary "Denison" at Wethersfield May 18, 1721, Æ 77.
• vi. Capt. Joshua Robbins, Esq., b. Oct. 21, 1652, d. Dec. 15, 1738, Æ 87; m. Dec. 24, 1680 at Wethersfield, Elizabeth --- (by Capt. John Chester) prob. nee Rose, dau. Daniel Rose and Elizabeth Goodrich, b. Apr. 15, 1665 at Wethersfield. She d. there Apr. 24, 1736, Æ 72. Eight children of the family.
Spouse: Mary Welles Robbins (1616 - 1659)* Children: Mary Robbins Kimberly (1642 - 1683)* Hannah Robbins Warner (1643 - 1713)* Comfort Robbins Sherman (1646 - 1697)* John Robbins (1649 - 1689)* Joshua Robbins (1652 - 1738)*
- Calculated relationship
Inscription: Until after the year 1800, this cemetery was the only cemetery within the Town of Wethersfield's Ecclesiastical First Church Society. Inventoried in 1899 by Tillotson and published under the title "Wethersfield Inscriptions," only three gravestones or markers concerned persons who had died before the year 1700, and Gent. John Robbins, Sr. was not one of them.
Burial: Wethersfield Village Cemetery Wethersfield Hartford County Connecticut, USA
Created by: Don Blauvelt Record added: Feb 26, 2010 Find A Grave Memorial# 48820383
Gent. John Robbins's Timeline
January 8, 1618
Charlbury, Oxfordshire, England
January 20, 1642
New Haven, New Haven Colony
April 30, 1643
Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut Colony
October 12, 1646
Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut
April 29, 1649
Wethersfield, Connecticut Colony
October 21, 1652
Weathersfield, Connecticut Colony
August 30, 1659
June 27, 1660
Probably Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut