|Birthplace:||Dover, Stratford County, NH|
|Death:||Died in Dover, Stratford County, NH|
Son of Ezekiel Wentworth and Elizabeth Knight
|Occupation:||farmer and lumber dealer|
|Managed by:||Paul Douglas Van Dillen|
Matching family tree profiles for John Wentworth
About John Wentworth
In Wentworth Genealogy by John Wentworth, p. 204, it says, "John, son of Ezekiel and Elizabeth Wentworth, married (by Rev. John Pike) Martha, daughter of Richard and Grace Miller of Kittery, Me., 24 Dec. 1703."
- 'The Wentworth genealogy : English and American (1878)
- EZEKIEL2 (5), son of Elder William1 Wentworth, must have been among the elder of the family.* If he was but twenty-one years of age in 1672, when his name appears on the tax-list in the defective records of Dover, N.H., he must have been born as early as 1651, and that year is probably about the year of his birth. His son Paul, died 21 June 1748, in his 70th year.
- These "37 days" were doubtless all before 30 October 1711, and so it is impossible to tell how long after that day, or how long before 6 May 1712, Ezekiel died. ....
- The first mention of the wife of Ezekiel2 occurs in 1676. Her name was Elizabeth. John3, son of Ezekiel2 and Elizabeth, conveyed, 20 .July 1712, to his mother Elizabeth, widow of Ezekiel2, and to brother Benjami3, his right in his father's estate, and a quit-claim of 1715, also alludes to her. We thus learn that Ezekiel' s2 wife survived him. Besides these, we have nothing regarding her, unless the Will of Ezekiel Knight, sen.,* of Wells, Me., alludes to her. ....
- There is much uncertainty as to the number and ages of the children of Ezekiel.- The following is the best list which can now be furnished : —
- 30. Thomas3. 
- ' 31. John3. 
- 32. Paul3, born in 1678. 
- 33. Benjamin3. [After Paul3, who followed 159]
- 34. Gershom3. 
- 35. Tamsen3, born in 1687; married, 1st, James Chesley ; 2d, John Hayes. 
- 36. Elizabeth3, married Nathaniel Brown. 
- ' JOHN3 (31), son of Ezekiel2 and Elizabeth Wentworth, married (by Rev. John Pike) Martha, daughter of Richard and Grace Miller.* of Kittery, Me., 24 December 1703. This is the first heard of him. This wife is erroneously given by Savage, in his Genealogical Dictionary, to his uncle John2. He was a farmer .... He was alive 24 December 1717, but dead before 20 July 1718. His inventory was returned by Hatevil Roberts and James Warren, 15 June 1719. His widow Martha declining to administer, William Cotton was appointed administrator for property in both Maine and New Hampshire. His widow was alive as late as 3 January 1755, .....
- ' There is no way of arriving at the order of birth of the following five children, except the order of baptisms of four of them as recorded in the Dover (N. H.) church records, 5 July 1719, as children of Martha Wentworth, viz. Richard, Thomas, Ezekiel and Damaris.
- 155. Richard4. 
- 156. Ezekiel4. 
- 157. Thomas4. 
- 158. Mercy4, married Moses Butler. .....
- 159. Damaris4, married ___ Brock. She was living when her uncle Paul3 (32) made his Will, 3 February 1747-8. After all possible researches, the writer has been unable to find her husband's first name.* .....
- 'The Wentworth genealogy, comprising the origin of the name, the family in England, and a particular account of Elder William Wentworth, the emigrant, and of his descendants (1870) Vol.1
- 'The Spririt of '76: devoted to the principles, incidents, and ..., Volumes 10-12
- Pg. 370
- MILLER, EPHRAIM, Kittery, before 1690; had, besides Samuel, 'Martha, who married John Wentworth of Dover', and Mary, who married Ephraim Wentworth.
- Pg. 371
- MILLER, RICHARD, Kittery: had Samuel, Martha and Mary; was dead before June 1694, and his widow Grace married Christopher Henfield. Mary married Ephraim Wentworth. 'But she may, as also the brother and sister, belong to Ephraim M., as claimed by the Wentworths.'
John Wentworth's Timeline
July 20, 1679
Dover, Stratford County, NH
February 4, 1702
Dover, NH, USA
Kittery, York, Massachusetts (Maine), New England Colonies
Dover, NH, USA
Great Falls, Strafford, NH, USA
December 24, 1717
Dover, Stratford County, NH
August 26, 1724
Dover, Province of New Hampshire