Matching family tree profiles for John ap Evan
About John ap Evan
Death: Bef 29 Jul 1630
John ap Evan, of Treverigg, was grandfather of John Bevan, the Pennsylvania imigrant of 1683. Treverigg, in the parish of Llantrisant, was part of the original possessions of Iestan ap Gwrgan, set apart to his son, Madog ap Iestan, and descended in a direct line to John ap Evan, and is located a few miles from Cardiff, in Glamorganshire. The estate is about two miles long and one mile wide and is now divided into three farms. The ancient house in
which John Bevan resided, near the little Quaker Meeting House, is still standing. The rooms, which are very large, are timbered in heavy oak and the floors are paved with stone, as usual in Wales at that time. A mill, in operation in John Bevan's time, is also still standing. John ap Evan, of Treverigg, was born about 1585, died prior to July 19, 1630, and was buried in Llantrisant Church, where his tomb can still be seen. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Richards, who was living in 1630. They had one son, Evan ap John, of whom presently; and four daughters. The will of John ap Evan remaining on file at Llandaf Registry, Glamorganshire, bears date June 27, 1630, and was probated July 19, 1630. It
gives legacies to Llandal Cathedral, and Llantrisant Church, and to his four daughters. To his son, Evan John, he devises his "three principals" or farms, in Treverigg. To his wife, "Elizabeth Thomas", he devises the occupancy of his tenements called Kae Banall and Kystille for life.