Jonathan Farren (Ferrin)
|Death:||Died in Newton, NH, USA|
|Place of Burial:||Newton, Rockingham, New Hampshire, United States|
|Managed by:||Marcy Jo Crawford|
Matching family tree profiles for Jonathan Farren
About Jonathan Farren
According to information provided on his gravestone, he was born in England and emigrated to New England in 1719. If this is correct, there should be a ship’s passenger record of his arrival in New England.
In 1719, Jonathan was living in a house on the northern half of Nathaniel Gould’s lot in Amesbury, Massachusetts, as described in "The Return of Weed's Lot" of 30 MAR 1719. This lot was originally granted to Nathaniel Gould in The Children's Division in Amesbury for children of the original settlers. Nathaniel Gould gave this lot to his daughter, Elizabeth Gould, who married Thomas Beadle.
It appears that Jonathan was probably apprenticed to Thomas Beadle in 1719. Terms of indenture were generally 7 years. Thomas and Elizabeth Beadle deeded this land to Jonathan FARREN in 1726. This period, from 1719 to 1726, supports the theory that Jonathan was apprenticed to Thomas, and that the indenture ended in 1726.
On a map, look at the area between Bear Hill Rd. and Sargent's Pond to see roughly where this lot is located. If you use a topo. map, it's easier to locate the northwest corner of "Bear Hill" (which is actually a set of 3 hills) where Jonathan Farren's house was referenced in the "Return of Weed's Lot" in the Children's Division of Amesbury, MA" on 30 March 1730.
One side of the Weed Lot abutted land originally granted to George Martin.
Most men were primarily farmers, but often also had some sort of sideline occupation. From Newton, NH, town records, we know that Jonathan furnished wooden components for the meeting house, including shingles, and was paid for repairing the meeting house doors. We know he owned land which included a mill dam; we know his son leased the land to some Curriers after Jona's death to set up a sawmill. The 1949 History of Newton says Jonathan ran the sawmill there. I'm convinced that carpentry and/or running a sawmill were Jonathan's sidelines to being a farmer.
The land Jonathan lived on in early 1719, the Gould/Beadle children's land, was - as nearly as I can determine from contemporary land descriptions, modern topo maps and historic aerial photos - very near or abutting what is called "Sargent's Pond" today. The pond was created by a dam, which would have been running mills, most probably both saw mills and grain mills, depending on the equipment set up. My own hunch is that Thomas Beadle owned a sawmill on the pond, that Jonathan ran it for him, as well as did the labor on the farm, and that this is the connection to the wood-related skills we see in Jonathan's later life.
Jonathan Farren married Sarah WELLS on 10 December 1719 in Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. The ceremony was performed by her grandfather, Reverend Thomas WELLS
Jonathan settled in the West Parish of Amesbury at a place called Cottel's Plaine. The settlers of the frontier towns on the Merrimac River had become dissatisfied with the manner of carrying on the war with the Indians, and wished to adopt offensive operations. Accordingly, in the autumn of 1724 a company was organized at Dunstable, with John Lovewell as the Captain, Josiah Farwell as Lieutenant, and Jonathan Robbins as Ensign. These officers offered a petition to the Legislature in which they say "That if said Company may be allowed five shillings per day in case they kill any enemy Indians and possesse their scalp they will employ in Indian Hunting one whole year and if they do not within that time kill any, they are content to be allowed nothing for their wages, time and trouble." This petition was granted changing the terms into a bounty of 100 pounds for every scalp taken during one year. Stimulated with this offer, Capt. Lovewell immediately took to the field with a company of 62 men, of which Jonathan Ferrin was a member. They marched towards a dwelling place of the Pequakett Indians who resided within the territory now forming the towns of Fryeburg, Maine and Conway, New Hampshire.
Some time after their return, Captain Lovewell and his men petitioned the General Court. In the Archives of the State of Massachusetts is an advertisement stating that the General Assembly of the Province at their session held 29 MAY 1728 have set aside two tracts of unappropriated land for all persons in the Narragansett War, and asking that lists of their names be sent in to be laid before the General Court. On the back of this advertisement is the list of men of Captain Lovewell's company "when 10 Indians were killed", with Jona Ferren as one of the 62 men. These two grants were Suncook, now Pembroke, New Hampshire, and Volunteerstown, now Petersham, Massachusetts.
The land where Jonathan lived in 1719 was the same parcel of land deeded to "our son Jonathan ffarren" on March 6th, 1726/7 by Thomas & Elizabeth Beadle with the provision that the gift could be revoked if either of them were ever in need. (Deed: Thomas Beatol to Jona. Farren, recorded 3 Feb 1731, Essex County, MA, Deed Book 59, page 107. LDS Family History library microfilm # 0866040) At any rate, it was common for people to refer to valued indentured servants as "sons" or "daughters" at the time. It was also normal for a good apprentice to receive a gift at the end of his indenture for thanks for his good services and to assist in his continued livelihood. The terms of indenture usually included this "gift" at the end of the service, which was often land, clothing and/or livestock. This gave a young man an economic start and the means to support himself in his independence.
Something else worth noting is that both Jonathan and Thomas Beadle, Jr., who presumably was reared as Jonathan's "step-brother," were taking turns taking care of Hannah Beadle, who apparently wasn't "quite right", about 1745 or so. As Jim Shaw noted, there was a long and continuing relationship between Jonathan Farren and members of the Beadle family.
In 1726 Jonathan is given on a list of persons over 21 years taxed for the support of preaching in the west parish. This was the Amesbury Second Church, where he was baptized 31 DEC 1727, and where all his children were subsequently baptized.
In NOV 1727, J. Barnard deeds to him 33 acres of land at Cottel's Plaine for the sum of 100 pounds current money.
In MAR 1730 John Peaslee deeds to him one and one half acres at Cottel’s Plaine.
On 20 JUN 1733 Jonathan Ferren and others were admitted to the Voluntierstown Grant. In 1735 he deeded his land there to Samuel Willard of Lancaster for the sum of thirty six pounds "currant money of New England."
In 1741 a new Province Line was established between Massachusetts and New Hampshire, and a strip of land fifteen miles in length was taken from Salisbury and Amesbury in Massachusetts and annexed to New Hampshire. In MAY 1742 this strip of land was incorporated as the Town of South Hampton, New Hampshire. Jonathan Farren, a resident of that part of Amesbury, Massachusetts which was annexed to New Hampshire, automatically became an inhabitant of South Hampton, New Hampshire.
In 1748, Leftenant Jonathan Farrin was one of the petitioners with Ladd and Young "Officers and Soldiers in ye late expedition against Cape Briton: for a township or tract of land (Masonian Papers, Vol. 5, p.51).
Jonathan and other inhabitants had became dissatisfied with the location of the meeting house in the town and petitioned to be set off to other parishes, or be allowed to form a separate parish for themselves. After several years of petitions and reports, they were finally set off from South Hampton and annexed to Newtown, New Hampshire on 22 MAR 1749.
In SEP 1751 John Peaslee deeds to him one acre adjoining his land.
In 1752 on the "Amesbury Town Records" he is referred to for the first time as Captain Jonathan Farren, by which title he is known until his death in 1770. He is Capt. Jona Ferrin on his gravestone. Tradition states that Captain Jonathan Ferrin had some sort of mill where guns or munitions were made. In 1916, through the courtesy Mr. Edward Kelly of Newtown, New Hampshire the site of the Capt. Jonathan Farren farm in the Currierville section of Newtown was located. It was still known as "Ferrin Farm" or "Ferrin Pasture." The remains of the old dam were found there.
From 1754 to 1757 he was on the muster roll of the French and Indian Wars. From the Massachusetts Archives, Muster Roll, 1710 to 1774 we find, Jona Farron, dated Boston, 8 MAR 1755, of Company in His Majesty's service under command of Capt. Jabez Bradbury. Centinel. Entered service 9 MAR 1754. Served until 29 SEP 1754. Length of service 29 weeks, 2 days. Reported discharged.
On March 4th, 1762, Jonathan sold a parcel of land to Charles Sargent, and the deed was recorded on October 29th, 1765. (Essex County, MA, Deed Book 119, page 186. LDS Family History microfilm # 0866068). This is probably part of the Sargent Farm which is still in the same location today, though, due to shifting town boundaries, it is now part of Merrimac, MA.
In MAY 1762 James George deeds him five acres adjoining his land (New Hampshire Province Deeds). There are numerous deeds or record in Concord and Exeter, New Hampshire and Salem, Massachusetts to which he was a party. In these deeds he is referred to as "yeoman," "husbandman," and for many years before his death as "gentleman." From 1755 to 1770 he held various public offices in Newtown. At the 5 APR 1755 town meeting of Newtown, Captain. Jonathan Farrin is one of a committee chosen "to make up with the selectmen for the year past." He was also chosen Assessor for the same year.
His will was written on 22 FEB 1768. He died 5 MAY 1770 at Newtown, Rockingham County, New Hammpshire. He was buried in the Town Cemetery at Newtown (now Newton). Two bronze tablets sit in boulders mark his grave, the tablet at the foot of the grave being a copy of the original gravestone. His will was proved on 27 JUN 1770. The inventory of his estate, dated 10 JUL 1770, mentions his home farm as "about 40 acres of land with buildings being his homestead liveing."
Jonathan Farren's Timeline
October 14, 1697
May 13, 1720
August 1, 1721
September 20, 1724
September 18, 1727
August 18, 1728
September 11, 1730
Sandown, NH, USA
October 5, 1737
October 21, 1739
Newton, NH, USA