Matching family tree profiles for Joseph Hopkins
About Joseph Hopkins
JOSEPH HOPKINS, SR. was born 08 Mar 1667 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachuetts, and died 15 May 1735 in E. Greenwich, Rhode Island.
Parents: WILLIAM HOPKINS and HANNAH ANDREWS
- PHOEBE UNKNOWN Bef. 1686. She was born in Kingston, Wakefield, Washington, Rhode Island.
- MARTHA WHALEY Abt. 1711, daughter of THEOPLUS WHALEY and ELIZABETH MILLS. She was born 1680 in Rhode Island, and died 1773 in Rhode Island.
Children of JOSEPH HOPKINS and PHOEBE UNKNOWN are:
- WILLIAM HOPKINS, b. 06 Nov 1695, Kingston, Rhode Island.
- PHOEBE HOPKINS, b. 02 Aug 1696, Kingston, Wakefield, Washington, Rhode Island (Source: Birth Record- E. Greenwich, R.I. Bk.1 p 13.); m. JONATHAN PITCHER.
- JOSEPH HOPKINS, JR., b. 08 Apr 1698, Kingtown, Rhode Island; d. 1741, Greenwich, Kent, Rhode Island.
- SAMUEL HOPKINS, b. 06 Jan 1699; d. 11 Apr 1790, W. Greenwich Rhode Island.
- THOMAS HOPKINS, b. Abt. 1714.
- HANNAH HOPKINS, b. Abt. 1716.
Children of JOSEPH HOPKINS and MARTHA WHALEY are:
- JOHN HOPKINS, b. Abt. 1712.
- ROBERT HOPKINS, b. 02 Jun 1713; m. ROBEY CARR, 16 Oct 1742, West Greenwich, Rhode Island (Source: Early Marriage Records of the HOPKINS Family in the United States.).
- HANNAH HOPKINS, b. Abt. 1715.
- THEODOSIA HOPKINS, b. 13 Apr 1718, E. Greenwich, Rhode Island.
Following from Genealogical Dictionary of RI by Austin (1887):
- Joseph baptized in Roxbury 1 mo. 8 d. 1667. He was living in Roxbury 13 Sept. 1681, when Samuel Rice of Roxbury testified as follows: "The day that William Cheney was committed to the constables he asked to go to the house to change his clothes, and run away, but that he (Rice) caught him, and that Cheney drew a knife and told (Rice) that he would not be taken." Rice took the knife from Cheney and showed it to Joseph Hopkins. (Notes on Hopkins Lines compiled by Timothy Hopkins, San Francisco Library)
- He removed to East Greenwich, RI in 1712 or 1713.
- Joseph Hopkins died 15 May 1735 according to the inventory of his estate; his widow Martha married secondly Robert Spencer(1674-1748), the widower of her sister Theodosia Whaley. Found among the papers of Mrs. Dayton Royse (Elymra McGuire): E. Amanda Spencer, a local genealogist of East Greenwich, RI, who died in 1916 (and who was considered "amazingly accurate") stated that although James Austin in his "Rhode Island Genealogical Dictionary" said that Joseph Hopkins, Sr. was the son of Thomas and Sarah Hopkins, she had another opinion, "The wife of Pardon Hopkins, (a lineal descendant of Joseph) told me that Joseph was the son of William and Hannah (Andrews) Hopkins."
- His will proved 15, July 1735.
Joseph Hopkins's Timeline
March 8, 1667
Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts
November 6, 1695
Kingstown, Washington, Rhode Island, USA
February 8, 1696
Kingston, RI, USA
April 8, 1698
Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island, United States
January 6, 1703
Kingston, Washington, Rhode Island
Kingston, Rhode Island
June 2, 1713
East Greenwich, Kent County, Rhode Island, United States