About Joseph Jones
"About 1816 Joseph and William Jones came to Daviess County from South Carolina where Joseph had been a slave holder. The family was of Welsh descent. All this is verified in the county history. Joseph brought his sons with him and they began farming in the southern part of the county. His sons were: Joseph J., Jake, William, Permenius, John and Phillip P. Cemetery records show Phillip was born in Daviess County." Page 292.
- NB: These same "sons" are shown as distributees of a full share of the estate of William Jones?
Fulkerson, History of Daviess County, 1915, page 279-280:
Harrison township was created out of parts of Veale and Reeve townships, by order of the commissioners, in June, 1841. This was one of the early settled portions of Daviess county. The first to arrive, it is believed, were William and Lewis Jones, who came from South Carolina in 1812. A little later they were joined by Christopher and Jeremiah Gregory, from the same state. These were followed about a year latter by other from South Carolina, among whom were Samuel Comer, John Edwards, Green, John and Thomas McCafferty, and Joseph and William Jones. Altogether there was quite a colony of people amoung the first settlers in this township from South Carolina. The first land entries in Harrison township were made in 1814, by Joseph Case, Robert Hays and Elias Stone.
The population of Harrison township in 1910 was one thousand one hundred and nine. The present township trustee is Bernard Gillooly, Montgomery.