Joyce Ward (unknown)
|Also Known As:||"Widow Ward of Wethersfield", "not Joyce Trafford", "not Joyce Stafford"|
|Birthplace:||Leicestershire , England|
|Death:||Died in Wethersfield, Hartford , Connecticut|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Joyce Ward
Richard Ward, who was born about 1585, married first UNKNOWN, and Joyce UNKNOWN as his second wife. After Richard's death, his widow Joyce Ward moved to New England with her sons Anthony, John, William, and Robert in 1630. They settled in Wethersfield, Connecticut in 1635, where Joyce Ward died in 1640.
Children of Richard Ward and Joyce Ward:
- 1.Edward Ward (bef. 1630-1662/63) m. Isabel
- 2.Sgt. John Ward (bef. 1630-1694) m. 1) Sarah Lyman or Hill? (1620-bef. 1685); 2) Hannah Crane Huntington (1638-1695), d/o Jaspar (?-1712) and Alice Crane (?-1720), widow of Thomas Huntington (?-1684)
- 3.Anthony Ward (bef. 1630- aft. 1640)
- 4.William Ward (bef. 1630-1688) m. 1) Sarah (?-1659); 2) Phoebe (?-1691)
- 5.Robert Ward (bef. 1630- aft. 1640) (living in England in 1640)
- 6. Richard, 1st, died 1631
- 7. Richard, 2nd, died 1633
The eldest children of RICHARD WARD - Thomas & Mary, are NOT mentioned in the will of JOYCE WARD, widow in 1640. It is assumed these are from the first wife, name unknown.
will of the widow Ward of Wethersfield
Joyce Ward Location: Wethersfield, CT Invt. 52-15-06. Taken 24th February, 1640-1, by George Hubbard & Leonard Chester. Will dated 15th November, 1640: I, Joyce Ward, of Wethersfield, being sicke in body but whole in mynd, doe make my last will & Testament this 15th day of November, in this prsent yeare of the Lord Christ 1640, in manner and forme as followeth:
Imprs. I give to foure of my sonnes. that is to say, ANTHONY WARD to WILLIE WARD, ROBERT WARD, & JOHN WARD, cch of the a pare of sheets, and to my eldest sonne EDWARD, I give unto him twelve pence of mony; furthermore, I make my sonne in law JOHN FLETCHER my whole and sole Executor, to pay and discharge all those debts, legaces wch I am bownd to prforme, and for to see my body brought to the ground in a decent manner.
Memorand: that I, JOYCE WARD, have left my sonne ROBERTS portion wch his father gave him, wch is (œ20) twenty pound, in England, in the hands of my sonne EDWARD WARD; I have made Mr. Wollersloue, of Clipsum, in England, in the County of Rutland, my Atturny, for to receave yt for my vse; if he have gott yt there, my son ROBERT shall have the whole twenty pound; but if yt be not gotten, then the six pound wch I paid for the putting out of the said ROBERT WARD to Apprentice, shall be prte of that twenty pound. JOYCE WARD ( her mark) Witness: Nathaniel Dickinson Roger Prichat
An Inventory of all and singular the goods, Chattells, cattle, belonging to JOYCE WARD, wydow, late of Wethersfield, made, taken and found the 24th of February, by GEORGE HUBBARD and LEONARD CHESTER: Imprs 7 yards of Hemppen cloath at 2s pr yard, 0-14-00
- It. four prrs of Hemppen Sheets, 2-00-00
- It. one prre of flaxen sheets, 1-00-00
- It. her apparell, vist, 2 gowns, one hatt, one pre of bodyes, wth other, 5-00-00
- It. one bedd, two boulsters, two pillows, two Coverings, two Curtains, 10-00-00
- It. one boxe, wth a little hand Trunke. 0-03-06
- one brasse pott, 16s; one brasse panne, œ1, 1-16-00
- one iron potte, one chamber pott, 2s, 0-04-00
- one brasse coal dish, 0-02-00
- one sowe wth three piggs, 1-00-00
- two table cloathes, wth 4 napkins, 0-16-00
- one Bond or Specialty 30-00-00
- Pr Leonard Chester, George Hubbard.
- page 120 of the The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Volume 44.
Joyce Ward's Timeline
Leicestershire , England
Stretton, Rutland , England
November 15, 1640
Wethersfield, Hartford , Connecticut
Stretton, Rutland, England, United Kingdom