Judge Francis T. Brooke

Is your surname Brooke?

Research the Brooke family

Judge Francis T. Brooke's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Francis Taliaferro Brooke

Birthdate: (87)
Birthplace: Smithfield, Spotsylvania, Virginia
Death: March 3, 1851 (87)
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Immediate Family:

Son of Richard 'of Smithfield' Brooke and Anne Hay Brooke
Husband of Mary Randolph Brooke and Mary Champe Brooke
Father of John Francis Brooke; Elizabeth Brooke; Robert Spotswood Brooke; Mary Randolph Spotswood Berkeley; Helen Brooke and 1 other
Brother of Lawrence Brooke; Robert Brooke; John Taliaferro Brooke and Elizabeth Maury

Managed by: James Hutchison
Last Updated:

About Judge Francis T. Brooke

DAR Ancestor #: A014908

Birth: Aug. 27, 1763 Spotsylvania County Virginia, USA Death: Mar. 3, 1851 Spotsylvania County Virginia, USA

Son of Richard Brooke & Ann Hay [Taliferro] Brooke

1st Married: Mary Randolph Spotswood October 3, 1791 Nottingham, VA - Northampton Co.

2nd Married: Mary Champe Carter February 14, 1804 Fredericksburg Co., VA

Francis and his older twin John were appointed First Lieutenants in Gen. Harrison's First Continental Regiment of Artillery at the age of 16. They fought in the Virginia campaign. After the battle of Green Spring they were ordered south to join MGen. Nathaniel Greene in the Southern Department not returning to VA until Aug 1782 when they returned home to "Smithfield."

Judge of the Virginia Court of Appeals

INSCRIPTION: This monument is erected by his only surviving son, who will ever cherish his memory with filial affection.

Family links:

 John Francis Brooke (1795 - 1849)*
 Robert Spotswood Brooke (1800 - 1851)*
 Mary Randolph Spotswood Brooke Berkeley (1803 - 1875)*
 Francis Edward Brooke (1813 - 1874)*
  • Calculated relationship

Burial: Brooke Cemetery Spotsylvania County Virginia, USA


Chapter XI A Narrative of My Life for My Family. By Francis T. Brooke.

'Tis pleasant to recall our former days, What we have been, and done, and seen, and heard, And write it down for those we love, to read.

To my beloved Daughter, Helen, Who has been my amanuensis in preparing this family narrative, has written about two-thirds of it from my dictation, and aided me essentially in completing it-I now affectionately dedicate it, with my paternal blessing.


I was born on the 27th of August, 1763, at Smithfield, the residence of my beloved father, upon the Rappahannock, four miles from Fredericksburg. Tradition said it was called Smithfield after Capt. John Smith, otherwise called Pocahontas Smith; but as there is nothing in the histories of Virginia stating that Capt. Smith was ever so high up the Rappahannock, I think that tradition was in error. I think it was so called after a Capt. Laurence Smith, who, in 1679, had a military commission to defend the frontier against the Indians in that region. It was an estate belonging to one Tanner, who was in England, and authorized his agent to sell it, and it was bought by my grandfather, Taliaferro, who then resided at Epsom, the adjoining estate, and he gave it to my mother-God bless her. The estate now belongs to Mr. Thomas Pratt, the old house in which I was born is burnt down, and he has built a new one, not so large, and higher up the river. When I was a boy these were the traces of a fortification, including a fine spring, as a defence against Indians.

My father was the youngest son of my grandfather, who came to this country, with a Mr. Beverley, at the time Gov. Spotswood came, about the year 1715; he became the Surveyor of the State, and was with the Governor when he first crossed the Blue Ridge, for which he received from the Executive a medal, a gold horse shoe set with garnets, and worn as a brooch, which I have seen in the possession of Edmund Brooke, who belonged to the oldest branch of the family.

My father's name was Richard Brooke. He left four sons and a daughter by my mother, and a fifth son by his second wife; he died aged sixty of gout in the stomach, in the year 1792. He was a handsome man (as may be seen by his picture which I have); with great vivacity of spirits; he read much; had a good library of the books of that age. He sent my two eldest brothers, Laurence and Robert, at an early age, to Edinburgh College, where they were educated for the two learned professions, Medicine and Law, and did not return to this country until the revolution had progressed. They got over to France and Dr. Brooke was appointed by Dr. Franklin Surgeon of the "Bon Homme Richard," commanded by the celebrated John Paul Jones, and was in the battle with the Serapis, and all the battles of that memorable cruise.

My brother Robert was captured and carried into New York, and sent back to England by Lord Home, went again to Seotland, again got over to France, and returned to Virgiaia in a French frigate that brought the arms supplied by the French government. He did not remain idle, but joined a volunteer troop of cavalry, under Capt. Larkin Smith; was captured in a charge of dragoons by a Capt. Loller of Simcoe's Queen's Rangers, at Westham, seven miles above Richmond. He was soon exchanged; commenced the practice of law; was a member of the House of Delegates, and, in 1794, was elected Governor of the State, and afterwards Attorney General, in opposition to Bushrod Washington, who was afterwards a Judge of the Supreme Court of the United States. My brother Robert died while Attorney General, in the year 1799. Dr. Brooke died some years after, I do not recollect the year.

My father was devoted to the education of his children. He sent my twin brother, John, and myself very young to school. We went to several English schools, some of them at home, and at nine years of age, went to the grammar school in Fredericksburg, taught by a Trinity gentleman from Dublin, by the name of Lennegan, who, having left the country at the commencement of the War of the Revolution; was hanged for petit treason, and being sentenced to be quartered after he was cut down, was only gashed down the thighs and arms and delivered to his mother, afterwards came to life, got over to England, was smuggled over to France, being a Catholic, and died in the monastery of La Trappe (according to Jonah Barrington, in whose work this account of him will be found). My father sent us to other Latin and Greek schools, but finally engaged a private tutor-a Scotch gentleman of the name of Alexander Dunham, by whom we were taught Latin and Greek. He was an amiable man, but entirely ignorant of everything but Latin and Greek, in which he was a ripe scholar. We read with him all the higher classics; I read Juvenal and Perseus with great facility, and some Greek-the Testament and Æsop's Fables.

Having passed the age of sixteen, the military age of that period, I was appointed a First Lieutenant in Gen. Harrison's regiment of Artillery, the last of the year 1780; and my twin brother, not liking to part with me, shortly after got the commission of First Lieutenant in the same regiment. Our first campaign was under the Marquis LaFayette, in the year 1781, during the invasion of Lord Cornwallis. We came to Richmond in March of that year and were ordered to go on board an old sloop with a mulatto Captain. She was loaded with cannon and military stores, destined to repair the fortification at Portsmouth, which had been destroyed the winter before by the traitor, General Arnold. She dropped down the river to Curles, where we were put on board, with the stores of the twenty-gun ship, the Renown, commanded by Commodore Lewis, of Fredericksburg; in addition to which ship, there were two other square-rigged vessels and an armed schooner. We were detained some days, lying before Curles, the residence of Mr. Richard Randolph, who treated us with great hospitality, we being often on shore.

In about ten days the ship was hailed from the opposite bank, by Major North, one of the aids of the Baron Steuben, who was then at Chesterfield Court House. Major North was brought on board the ship. He informed Commodore Lewis that the British fleet was in Hampton Roads, and ordered him to put the artillery and stores on the north bank of the river, and to run the ship and the rest of the fleet as high up as he could. I believe it was to Osborne's; where they were taken by the British, some carried off -according to Simcoe's account-and the rest scattered.

Having been set on shore on the north side of the river, when we arrived in Richmond, I was ordered to take the command of the Magazine and Laboratory at Westham, seven miles above that place.

My brother John joined a fragment of a State regiment, under a Major Ewell, but on the arrival of the Marquis, joined a company of his own regiment, under Captain Coleman, and cannonaded Gen. Phillips, then in Manchester, from the heights of Rockets, below Richmond.

In a few days after I took the command of the Magazine, I saw Mr. Jefferson, then Governor of the State, for the first time. He came to Westham with one of his council, Mr. Blair, whom I had known before, and who informed me they wanted to go into the Magazine. I replied they could not, on which they introduced me to Mr. Jefferson as the Governor. I turned out the guard, he was saluted, and permitted to go in. They were looking for flints for the Army of the South, and of the North, and found an abundant supply.

The condition of Virginia can hardly be imagined. Her soldiers were nearly all in the army of Gen. Green, her military stores exhausted, by constant supplies to the Southern Army-yet there was a spirit and energy in her people to overcome all her difficulties. I was continued in the command of the Magazine. Lord Cornwallis having crossed the James River, at Westover, I was ordered to remove it to the south side of the river, and carried it to Brittan's Ferry, on the opposite side of the river, from whence I was ordered to remove it back again to Westham, where it remained until I was ordered to throw the cannon into the creek, and carry the rest of the stores to the Point of Fork, now Columbia, as I did. From thence I was ordered to carry a large portion of the powder and small arms, etc., to Henderson's Ford, now Milton, four miles below Charlottesville; there I remained until Col. Tarleton came to the latter place. There was a Capt Lieutenant Bohannan, who had come a few days before, and who ordered me to remain where I was, and defend the Magazine against any detachment that might be sent to take it, until I heard that Tarleton had crossed the river at Charlottesville, after which I should join Baron Steuben, at the Point of Fork. About eleven o'clock I heard that Tarleton had crossed the river at Charlottesville, and driven away the Legislature. I then commenced my march to join Baron Steuben. By the road I took, I was thrown on the south of him, and, about a quarter of an hour by sun, I met a man who, on my inquiry, informed me I was five miles from the Baron's encampment, then occupied by Lord Cornwallis' light infantry, who had driven the Baron across the river that morning. Capt. Bohannan having ordered me, if I could not join the Baron, to proceed to Staunton, and to join the army of the Marquis LaFayette. By sunrise the next morning I crossed the south branch of the James River, and thence to Hardware, where I crossed the river.

The next day I met Col. Davis. I had known him before, and without hesitation he asked me where I was going. I told him I was going to Buckingham Court House, to get provisions for the men. He replied that Lord Cornwallis' light infantry would be there before me. I said I had left them in the Fork the night before; on which he said, "You will do as you please." There was a panic everywhere.

The next day I crossed the Ridge, about six miles to the south of Rockfish Gap, where there is a large limestone spring on the top. When I got to where Waynesborough is, I found a large force of eight hundred or a thousand riflemen, under the command of a General McDowell, who, Gov. McDowell has told me, was from North Carolina. He stopped me, saying he had orders to stop all troops to defend the Gap. I replied that I belonged to the Continental Army, and had orders to go to Staunton, and said to the men, "Move on," and he let me pass. In the morning I entered the town. There, for a few days, I heard Patrick Henry, Richard Henry Lee, George Nicholas, and my neighbor, Mann Page, of Mansfield.

It may seem strange that so young as I was, not seventeen years old, that I should have the command that I had. My twin brother, who was an older twin, but a younger officer, had left me at Henderson's Ford, being ordered to Albemarle's old Court House, where there were public stores. I had been in command of about seventy-five men, to guard the Magazine and to make cartridges, portfire, etc., and when I arrived at Staunton, Col. Davis, whom I found there, insisted on retaining me in that service, but Capt. Fleming Gaines, who belonged to Harrison's regiment of artillery, ordered me to join my corps as speedily as I could in the army of the Marquis, and furnished me with his horses and servant to do so.

In a few days I left Staunton and crossed the Ridge at Swift Run Gap. At that time Lord Cornwallis, having learned that the Pennsylvania line had arrived at Culpeper Court House, changed his route. His first design was to burn Hunter's Iron Works, above Falmouth, which were very valuable. Gen. Weidon at the same time commanded a small body of militia, near Fredericksburg, from which he had nothing to fear in his progress to burn the iron works. He, however, began to retire, when the Marquis recrossed the Rappahannock, at the Raccoon Ford, and by opening an old road, threw himself between Lord Cornwallis and our remaining stores in the upper country, and followed Lord Cornwallis at a respectful distance.

The corps of Tarleton and Simcoe rejoined him. He halted one day on the heights, above Goochland Court House, when the Marquis also retrograded and placed the army behind Mechunk's Creek -I think they called it-in Fluvanna. Both armies proceeded slowly towards Richmond, and at Westham I found a corps of which my brother Robert, afterwards Governor of the State, was a volunteer. He was captured by a troop of Simcoe's regiment, commanded by Capt. Loller. Lord Cornwallis kept on his way to Williamsburg, and the Marquis balted a few miles below New Kent Court House, where, on the Fourth of July, the army was reviewed and fired a few de joie.

I was attached to Gen. Lawson's brigade, with one six pounder, and had some opportunity to know the whole force of the American army. It consisted of eight thousand militia, Stephens and Lawson's brigades; of one thousand light infantry, New England troops, brought on by the Marquis; the Pennsylvania line, as it was called, between six and seven hundred men, commanded by Gen. Wayne, with a good train of artillery; one thousand riflemen, under Gen. Campbell, of King's Mountain, and a part of the regiment of Virginia Continental troops, under Col. Febiger, a Dane; a vidette corps of dragoons, under Capt. Larkin Smith, and a single company of Harrison's regiment of artillery to which I belonged; there were some additional militia, under Maj. Willis. The British army was more efficient; seven thousand infantry, who had fought the battles of the South; Tarleton's and Simcoe's full regiments of cavalry, and a fine train of artillery. These were all troops that could not be easily driven out of a field of battle. The Marquis, in a few days, marched to the Cross Roads and the Burnt Ordinary, sixteen miles from Williamsburg.

While the army lay on the ground, Lord Cornwallis marched from Williamsburg to Green Spring, or Jamestown. The morning of that battle, Maj. Geo. Washington, an old schoolmate, the second aid to the Marquis, was at our quarters, and was asked if the Marquis knew where Lord Cornwallis was, and whether he had crossed the river. His reply was, that Gen. Wayne had been sent on that morning to find out where he was. Tarleton, in his journal says, that one or two days before, he had bribed a white man and a negro to go out, and, if they met with any American detachments, to inform them that the British army, except a small portion of it, had crossed the river. It was this negro who fell in with Gen. Wayne, who, on his report, marched down and attacked the whole British army. Tarleton is wrong in supposing that the Marquis intended to bring on a general engagement; on the contrary, at twelve o'clock, when he learned that Wayne was in some danger, he ordered Col. Galvan, who belonged to his light infantry, to run down with only one hundred men to his relief, while he, with Capt. John F. Mercer's troop of horse, who had lately joined, and some militia riflemen, followed to support him. The Marquis certainly had no idea of a general battle, as the rest of the army remained quietly in their encampment the whole of the day. Gen. Wayne brought on the battle, relying on the intelligence the negro gave him, whom Tarleton had bribed, for which his troops suffered very much. He, as Tarleton says, attacked the whole British army, and got off only by Lord Cornwallis' supposing that a general action was intended by the Marquis, and taking time to prepare for it. Wayne not only lost his artillery, but had, I think, eleven officers badly wounded, whom I saw the next morning under the hands of the Surgeon, at the church, in the rear of our encampment. I think it is very certain that the Marquis, at this time, intended no general battle; nor did Lord Cornwallis either. His object was to cross the river and fall down to Portsmouth, that he might send the reinforcement required of him by Gen. Clinton, who apprehended an attack by Gen. Washington, and the Count Rochambeau, who was hourly expected to arrive with the French troops from the West Indies.

In a few days after the battle of Green Spring, the single company of artillery of Harrison's regiment, to which I belonged, was ordered to the South. It was to proceed to Charlottesville by the way of Goochland Court House. All the officers, except myself, had leave to take their homes on their way. Left to command the company, I felt it a very arduous task, but I had been long enough in service to know that its discipline must be preserved, or I could not command. The first day's march, we got to the mouth of the lane opposite Hanover Town, and on dismissing the men, I ordered that none of them should go to the town.

Having arrived at Goochland Court House, we were detained there, and engaged in making cartridges and portfire for some weeks. In the meantime, Col. Davis arrived, and ordered me to return to Westham, and get the cannon out, which I had been ordered and had thrown into the creek and river. He furnished me with a Continental horse, and I found the officer there had attempted to draw the cannon out of the mud by fastening ropes to the pieces. I ordered two scows to be brought, and by pulling the pieces up between them, soon got them all up, and returned to join the company at Goochland Court House, where I was for some time continued in command of the laboratory, and finally ordered to Charlottesville, and at last the company reached Cumberland old Court House, where it was kept for some time.

The troops at Cumberland old Court House were at length ordered to join Gen. Green, under Col. Posey. Having received no pay, they mutinied, and instead of coming on the parade with their knapsacks, when the General beat, they came with their arms, as to the beat of the troop. I have said the troops received no pay; one company of them had been taken prisoners in Charleston, had been very lately exchanged, when it received orders to return to the South; the officers received one month's pay in paper, which was so depreciated, that I received, as a First Lieutenant of artillery, thirty-three thousand and two-thirds of a thousand dollars, in lieu of thirty-three and two-thirds dollars in specie.

We continued our march for about twenty days, having to impress provisions on the way.

On approaching Gen. Green's army, an order came that the infantry under Col. Posey should continue their march and join Gen. Wayne, in Georgia. In consequence of this, Col. Posey taking all the wagons, I was ordered to go to the army, lying about twelve miles below, near Bacon's bridge, on the Ashley River, to get wagons to take the baggage of the artillery to camp. In the rice country, the great part of which was covered with water, I mistook my way, and swam my horse to the other side of the Ashley River; meeting with a man on the other side, I asked him how far I was from Gen. Green's army. To my surprise, he told me I was on the wrong side of the river, and the British had a port at Dorchester. I had to retrace my course, and to swim the river again, where it was very narrow. I proceeded, and obtained the wagons necessary to move the company of artillery, and that joined the Park of Artillery. It so happened that I was ordered, with one six pounder, to join the advanced picket, near Bacon's bridge, and it cost me some effort to keep awake the whole night, after so much fatigue. Col. Stewart, of the Maryland line, was the officer of the day, and came the grand rounds twice in the night, and complimented me on my vigilance.

In a few days my boots were worn out, and I applied to Gen. Harrison for an order on the quartermaster, for a new pair; he gave me the order but said so scarce were the stores, that unless Gen. Green would endorse the order, I would get no boots-and that I must go to headquarters. I accordingly went; he was quartered in a large wooden building, a mile or more in the rear of the army. The first officer I saw when I got there was his first aid, Maj. Burnet. He asked if I wished to see the General. I said, "Yes, I have some business with the General." On which he desired me to sit down, and he would return to me. Having waited some time, I walked to the other door and saw Gen. Green for the first time, sitting at a table writing. I knew him by his regimentals, and went in. He accosted me, saying, "You belong to the artillery, have you any business with me?" I told him I had an order from Gen. Harrison, for a pair of boots, which I wished him to endorse, or I would not get the boots. Looking at my boots, he said, "You have very good boots." On which I replied, "I borrowed them this morning"; on which he endorsed the order, and I made my bow and left him. He immediately followed me, and overtaking me at the door said: "Lieutenant Brooke, I keep a roster of the officers of the army, and they are invited to dine with me in rotation, and you will be invited in your turn,-but whenever you are off duty Mrs. Green will be glad to see you." This arose from the circumstance that Mrs. Green, on her way to join her husband, passed through my neighborhood, and received some attentions at Smithfield, and New Post the seat of Gen. Alexander Spotswood. I was often at headquarters, on this invitation, and felt I was somewhat a pet of the General's. He was a man of most amiable feelings, and showed me marked kindness on one occasion. Capt. Singleton, who was a great favorite of the General's, commanded the company to which I belonged. We lived in the same marquee, on the most amicable terms, until there was a difference between myself and Lieutenant Whitaker, a nephew of his. We were eating watermelons, when I said something that he so flatly contradieted, that I supposed he intended to say I lied; on which I broke a half of a melon on his head, to which he said, "Brooke, you did not think I meant to tell you, you lied." I said, "If you did not, I am sorry I broke the melon on your head"; and there it ended. But his uncle, I presume, did not think it ought to have ended there. Whitaker had fought a duel going out with a Capt. Blair, of the Pennsylvania line, and wounded him, which made him, at least in appearance, a little arrogant, and our difference was the talk of the camp.

I had been appointed by Gen. Green, quartermaster of the Park of Artillery, on the express condition that I should not lose my rank in the line; as I did not come into the army to go into the staff, and having two duties to perform, I was very attentive to that in the line. On one morning when troop beat, I was delayed and did not get on parade till the roll was at least half called, on which Capt. Singleton asked me, in a rude voice, why I was not on parade sooner. To which I replied, "I waited for my boots, and did not come here in gown and slippers," looking at his nephew in that dress. On which he said, he should take notice of me at another time. The men being discharged, I said to Capt. Singleton, that as long as I thought him my friend, I should have taken a rebuke from him kindly, but as I was now to consider him in a different light, whenever he meant to rebuke me, he must do it through a court-martial; that I understood my duty, and was not afraid of a court-martial, on which he said he would do so, but never did. After this we lived together, but never spoke, except on duty.

No objection had been made by Capt. Singleton to the performance of my duty in the line, until the company was ordered to join the light infantry, under Gen. Wayne, to take possession of Charleston on the expected evacuation of it by Gen. Leslie. This was a highly desirable service and Capt. Singleton, seeing me preparing to go, said, "You cannot go, sir, you are quartermaster of the Park." I replied, "I have served in the light infantry before, under Col. Laurence, and no objection was made, but I will go to headquarters and resign that office, rather than not go."

Well, I went to headquarters, and there it was that Gen. Green befriended me against the influence of my Captain. No objection was made to my brother, who was Brigade Major to the Park, and we both marched with the company to join the light infantry, under Gen. Wayne. After crossing the Ashley River, we marched to the house of Col. Wright and were sumptuously entertained. From the balcony we could see the British fleet lying before Charleston.

In the evening, one of the videttes came in and informed Gen. Wayne that the post, called the quarter-house, had been reinforced by four hundred men. This was seven miles from Charleston; a canal was cut there from the Ashley to the Cooper River, and two redoubts erected, and the post secured by other fortifications. On receipt of this information, the troops were ordered under arms, and we marched down opposite the quarter-house, within hail of the British sentinels, and encamped in a wood.

Gen. Green, with Washington's regiment, came in the next day, and the army came down the Ashley River, crossed at Wapporcut, and encamped on James island, opposite Charleston, where the Maryland line, hearing that the preliminary articles of peace had been signed by the British Commissioners, and believing the war over, and their enlistment at an end, mutinied. Gen. Green crossed the Ashley River on hearing it, found them on parade, as if they were discharged from service. He immediately addressed them, assuring them there was no intelligence that the war was over, and at last prevailed on them to ground their arms and submit.

The artillery to which I belonged remained in Charleston, where we were kindly and hospitably treated, especially myself, by Mr. Frank Kinlaw, who resided at Kinlaw Court; he had been a member of Congress, and married a Miss Walker, of Albemarle Co., Va.

When the artillery company to which I belonged was ordered under Col. Posey, with the rest of the Virginia troops, to go to Savannah to take possession of it, on its evaeuation by Col. Brown, Capt. Singleton, who had commanded the company, and my brother, with Lieut. Southall and Lieut. Whitaker, got leave to return to Virginia, and left the company under the command of Capt. Lieut. Booker and myself.

On arriving in Savannah, the infantry, under Col. Posey, went four miles below to Thunderbolt, and were quartered there, while the company of artillery was stationed at Fort Wayne, on a point below the town. In Savannah we were hospitably treated; I mean the officers, who remained in town. I felt myself especially noticed. I visited several families, among them Mr. Clay's; he had been a wealthy merchant, and some time before a member of Congress. He and his family were partieularly kind to me. I gallanted his daughters, one of whom was very handsome (Nancy). She was about sixteen years of age-but I had no serious intentions. On taking my leave of Savannah, I was left in the room with her by her parents, but said nothing. She afterwards jilted a Mr. Fontaine of Virginia, and married Maj. Deveau. Fontaine, in despair, went into the army, and in St. Clair's defeat threw himself among the Indians, and was killed.

In Savannah we had halls and dinner parties. There came some English officers from St. Augustine, on flag, with whom I associated; one a Capt. Car, I think. We met in the billiard room, and at Mr. Eustace's, who gave parties. I was at the wedding of Maj. Habersham with Miss Walton, the daughter of Jude Walton. The entertainment was singular; it was at eleven o'clock in the day, a collation of fruits, wine, and salt fish, etc. I was invited to go into the country with him to a Mr. Gibbs', a few miles from the town, where, having got leave, I spent some very pleasant days.

In Savannah, when invited out, we lived sumptuously-we had breakfast in the morning, luncheon at eleven o'clock, dinner at two, tea and coffee in the evening, and a hot supper at night.

While in Savannah the troops were ordered to an Indian treaty at Augusta, and we were ordered to turn out with whiskers and moustaches; this I was too young to do, being then not nineteen years old, but I used some black pomatum, such as the Hessian Yagers used, and smeared my face, so as to look very ferocious. The Indians were greatly frightened by their defeat by Gen. Wayne. The night they surprised him, he had given orders that none of them should be captured, that no quarters should be given, yet sixteen of them were captured by Capt. Scott's company of the Virginia line; and Gen. Wayne, seeing them next morning, ordered them to be bayoneted, which was deemed by some great cruelty; but General Wayne's force not being so strong as Col. Brown's, in Savannah, he was obliged to change his position every night, lest he should be surprised by him; and the Indians, who were spies upon his camp, were constantly giving Brown information where he was; but after the defeat and massacre of the sixteen, they quitted the country; they refused to come to any treaty at Augusta, where we were to come, and the corps I belonged to, with the rest of the troops under Col. Posey, were ordered back to Charleston, where we remained till August, when the company to which I belonged, and between three and four hundred of the infantry, and fourteen officers, including myself, belonging to different corps, embarked on board ship for Virginia. We were at sea 24 days, and it was thought, in Virginia, that we were lost. Having arrived at Hampton, we were most hospitably treated by a Mr. King and others. After remaining at Hampton three or four days, we came up to Richmond. I paid the company off a portion of their pay, and then gave them their discharges. I then left Richmond for Smithfield, my home, in a chariot loaned me by Mr. Henry Banks, to take a Mrs. Taylor from Norfolk to Fredericksburg. When we got opposite to Smithfield, I left Mrs. Taylor, took my knapsack, and walked to the house, and found the family at supper. To describe the feeling of joy with which they greeted me (believing that I had been lost at sea) would be very difficult.

The Smithfield family at this time consisted of a kind and excellent father; an amiable mother-in-law, who had one son, William, who, when he came to man's estate, studied law, was successful in his practice, died young, and left an amiable family; my whole brothers, Dr. Laurence Brooke, and Robert Brooke, and my twin brother John.

Dr. Laurence Brooke, who had studied medicine at Edinburgh, as I have often mentioned, had now commenced the practice of physic. My brother Robert, who had also been educated at Edinburgh, where he had studied law under Professor Mililer, had resumed the study, and was preparing to commence the practice of the law when I arrived.

My twin brother, John, endeared to me by the hardships and dangers of three campaigns, like myself, had no profession, though some time after, he began to study law, got a license and began the practice of the law; he was successful, and became a member of the House of Delegates from his county of Stafford several times. He married a most amiable and excellent lady, and died about the year 1822, leaving a distinguished family,-one of whom, his son Frank, was killed in the Florida War, under Colonel Taylor, now President of the United States. His son Henry is now a distinguished lawyer, at the bar of the Court of Appeals; married Virginia, the daughter of the late Judge Henry St. George Tucker, sometime president of the Court of Appeals.

My only sister married Fontaine Maury, though she had been courted by Capt. Wm. Washington, afterwards General William Washington; Major Churchill Jones, of Washington's regiment, and several others, Fontaine was the youngest son of Fontaine Maury, the Huguenot, who came to this country after the repeal of the Edict of Nantes.

Now, what shall I say of myself? The war was over, and it was time that I should look to some other profession than that of arms. I was not quite twenty years of age, and like other young men of the times, having an indulgent father, who permitted me to keep horses, I wasted two or three years fox hunting, and sometimes in racing; was sometimes at home for three or four weeks at a time. My father had an excellent family library. I was fond of reading history; read Hume's History of England, Robertson's History of Charles the Fifth, some of the British Poets, Shakespeare, Dryden, Pope, etc., and most of the literature of Queen Anne's reign, and even Blackstone's Commentaries, before I had determined to study law. Having resolved at last to pursue some profession, my brother, Dr. Brooke, prevailed upon me to study medicine. I read his books with him for about twelve months, when my brother Robert would say to me, "Frank, you have missed your path, and had better study law." I soon after took his advice, and commenced the study of the law with him, and in 1788, I applied for a license to practice law. There were at that time, in Virginia, only three persons authorized to grant licenses: they were the Attorney General, Mr. Innis, Mr. German Baker, and Col. John Taylor, of Caroline, all distinguished lawyers. I was examined by Mr. Baker, at Richmond, and obtained his signature to my license. I then applied to the Attorney General, Mr. Innis, to examine me, but he was always too much engaged, and I returned home. In a few days after, I received a letter from my old army friend, Capt. Wm. Barret, of Washington's regiment, informing me that he had seen the Attorney General, who expressed great regret that he had not had it in his power to examine his friend, Mr. Brooke; but that he had talked with Mr. Baker, and was fully satisfied of his competency, and if he would send his license down to Richmond, he would sign it. I accordingly sent the license to him, and he signed it, by which I became a lawyer. I afterwards returned to my brother's office, and applied myself more than I had done to the doctrine of pleading, etc.

Early in 1788, I went to Morgantown, in the North-Western corner of the State, then somewhat an Indian country; Virginia being compelled to keep her scouts and rangers to defend the inhabitants on our frontier, though the Indians still made frequent inroads, and killed, and carried off five families at the Dunkard Bottom, on Cheat River, twenty miles to the east of Morgantown. I had commenced the practice of law in the counties of Monongalia, at Morgantown; and Harrison, at Clarksburg. Soon after the district courts were established, and two of the Judges of the district court, Judges Mercer and Parker, came to Morgantown to hold a court there, when I received from the Attorney General, Mr. Innis, a commission as Attorney for the Commonwealth of that district; he having at that time power to grant commissions to all Commonwealth's Attorneys in the districts and counties of the State.

I continued the practice of the law in that country for a little more than two years, during which time I became acquainted with Albert Gallatin, from whom I, not long ago, received a letter, written in his 88th year, which is here inserted: New York, 4th March, 1847.

My dear Sir: Although you were pleased, in your favor of December last, to admire the preservation of my faculties, these are in truth sadly impaired. I cannot work more than four hours a day, and I write with great difficulty. Entirely absorbed in a subject which engrossed all my thoughts and all my feelings, I was compelled to postpone answering the numerous letters I receive, unless they imperiously required immediate attention. I am now making up my arrears.

But though my memory fails me for recent transactions, it is unimpaired in reference to my early days. I have ever preserved a most pleasing recollection of our friendly intereourse almost sixty years ago; and followed you in your long and respectable judiciary career-less stormy, and probably happier than mine. I am, as you presumed, four years older than yourself, born 29th of January, 1761, and now in my 88th; growing weaker every month, but with only the infirmities of age. For all chronical diseases,-I have no faith in physicians, consult none, and take no physic whatever.

With my best wishes that your latter days may be as smooth, as healing and as happy as my own, I remain in great truth, Your friend, Albert Gallatin. Hon'ble Francis Brooke, Richmond.

I returned to Eastern Virginia, and went to settle at Tappahannock, and practiced law in Essex, and the Northern Neck, with Bushrod Washington, afterwards Judge of the Supreme Court of the United States; Alexander Campbell, a distinguished lawyer, and the old Scotch lawyer, Warden, etc., etc.

In that year, the year '90, I sometimes visited my friends at Smithfield; paid my addresses to Mary Randolph Spotswood, the eldest daughter of Gen. Spotswood and Mrs. Spotswood, the only whole niece of Gen. Washington. Our attachment had been a very early one. Her father frequently sent to Smithfield for me when I was only thirteen years of age; my father would complain, but always permitted me to go. I would find the General, about daylight in the morning, with his fine horses drawn out, and his fox hounds, and, as I was an excellent horseman, would mount me upon one of his most spirited horses, and often range through the country and woods, where I now live. He knew his daughter was very much attached to me, but though succeeding in my profession, I was but poor, and he had great objections to the match. After some time, however, when I had gone back to Tappahannock, finding his daughter's attachment too strong to be overcome, though she had been courted by others, he consented to our union.

She was sixteen in June, and we were married in October following, at Nottingham, in the year 1791. Her form could not be excelled; her face, when lighted with a smile, was brilliant, though her features were not regular; she had brilliant teeth, and luxuriant brown hair; she had been highly educated by a Mrs. Hearn, an English lady, who lived in the family several years. The General was more attentive to the education of his daughters than to that of his sons. He and his brother, John Spotswood, had been much neglected by their guardian at Eton, in England, and were badly educated; they returned to Virginia, and when Gen. Spotswood arrived of age, in 1772, he possessed one hundred and fifty thousand acres of land in the three counties of Orange, Spottsylvania and Culpeper; it was an entailed estate which descended to him from his grandfather, Governor Spotswood. His father's executor prevailed on the Legislature to permit him to sell seventy thousand acres of it; he himself afterwards, and before I belonged to the family, sold to Gen. Henry Lee twenty-odd thousand acres, above Fredericksburg; he also sold forty thousand acres of leased land to James Somerville, of Fredericksburg. He possessed also iron works; a foundry established by Governor Spotswood, which yielded an income of five thousand pounds per annum, and which was broken up by his father's executor.

The General was neglectful of his affairs, and was better fitted for the army than for the pursuits of civil life. He commanded the second regiment, at the battle of Brandywine; and it was said by a British writer, one Smith, that it was the only regiment that left the field of battle in good order. He was again at the battle of Germantown, where his brother, Capt. Spotswood, being badly wounded, was thought to be dead; whereupon he sent in his resignation to Gen. Washington, having made a contract with his brother, when they entered the army, that if either should be killed, the survivor should return home to take care of the two families. When it was known that Capt. Spotswood was still alive, a prisoner in Philadelphia, he wished to return to his command of the army; but Gen. Washington replied to his letter to this effect, that he could not he reinstated in his former command, because many officers had been promoted after his resignation. He was soon after appointed a Brigadier General, by the State of Virginia, to command the Legion to be raised in Virginia. During Arnold's invasion, in 1780, he commanded a Brigade of Militia, called out to oppose General Arnold. Gen. Spotswood spent a great deal of his fortune in the army; while the Army of the North was naked of clothing, Gen. Spotswood clothed his whole regiment out of his own pocket, in Philadelphia.

Happily married, with good prospects, we lived together thirteen years, when she died January 5th, 1803, after the birth of her youngest daughter, Mary Randolph. She left four children; John, her eldest, Robert, Elizabeth and Mary Randolph, Elizabeth was unhappily killed by the over-setting of a stage. John studied medicine, and in the year 1825, was appointed a deputy surgeon in the Navy; went out in the Brandywine, with Gen. Lafayette to France, where he had been before; has remained in the navy ever since, and is now fleet surgeon in the Chinese seas. Robert was educated at West Point, was appointed a Lieutenant of the Engineer Corps, soon resigned, and studied law; began the practice at Charlottesville, went to Staunton, has been twice married, and has a family of eight children. He was twice elected a member of the House of Delegates, from Augusta; was a good speaker, and popular with the House; his family increasing, he declined public life, and is now President of the Branch of the Valley Bank, at Staunton.

Mary Randolph was married in 1827, to Dr. Edmund Berkeley, of Hanover; and after many changes of situation, went to Staunton, where she now resides, and has a family of eight children.

The shock I received on the death of my wife, I cannot well describe; but my father had left me a legacy better than property, his fine alacrity of spirits (God bless him), which have never forsaken me; and in the summer afterwards, I was advised to go to the Virginia Springs, and began to look out for another wife, to supply the place to my children of their mother. While at the Warm Springs, with Mr. Giles and some others, a carriage arrived with ladies; there is something in destiny, for as soon as I took hold of the hand of Mary Champe Carter (though I had seen her before and admired her very much), I felt that she would amply supply the place of my lost wife. I began my attentions to her from that moment. In person and in face she was very beautiful. Mr. Jefferson said of her, "She is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, either in France or in this country." Her sister, Nancy, who married Governor Troup, of Georgia, was thought by some equally handsome. Mary Champe had brilliant teeth, and beautiful dark hair; but her beauty was not her only charm; her soft and feminine manners were still more attractive.

On our return to Fredericksburg, I seriously addressed her-and though I had powerful rivals, I soon found that I had won her affections. As I had children, however, her mother and her relations were rather opposed to my pretensions, but their objections were overcome, when they found that our attachment was reciprocal; and we were married on the 14th of February following. Though she had little fortune, her father having left her one thousand and five hundred pounds in officer's certificate (and the half of his plate, on the death of her mother, which by the way, she never received), I had a renewed prospect for happiness. We settled and lived in a small house near her mother's, in Fredericksburg; from there we sent John and Robert to school, to Mr. Wilson, until after the birth of her first son, which she lost. I had built a small brick house with a shed to it, and a brick floor, in the country. Her mother and sister went to Boston; when they returned, she agreed to come into the country to live in that small house; the farm was a small one and worn out; as I was seldom at home, she had the trouble of planting the hedges, attending to laying off the garden, planting the fruit, and house-trees, and was frequently at home by herself for five or six weeks at a time. She was always very kind to the parents of her stepchildren, for when Mrs. Spotwood's old cook, Juna, was worn out nearly, they expressed the desire to have our cook, Belissa, who was an excellent cook; she readily gave up Belissa to them, and took a girl, little more than seventeen years of age, into the kitchen. She was a kind and affectionate stepmother, and her stepchildren were very much attached to her. When John had gone to Carlisle College, and then to Philadelphia, and often wrote to me to send him more money, and I being straitened, then she would say, "Send him the money, if you are obliged to sell one of the negroes." When Mary Randolph was sent to her by her grandmother, she expressed as much anxiety for her education as if she had been her own child, and when she grew to a proper age, had a music master in the house always, and instructed her herself; although she was no performer, she understood music very well.

In 1806, when her health was delieate and she was advised to go to the Springs, she carried Robert with her, then six years of age; he had had the ague and fever, but recovered at the Springs. We lived forty-two years together very happily, when on the 25th of October, 1846, she expired. She was a sincere Christian, and a quarter of an hour before her death, while I held her feeble hand in mine, she looked up at me, and said, "I am not frightened, I am in no pain, take care of ours"-there she stopped. A short time afterwards, when Mrs. Herndon, the wife of Dr. Herndon, who was here attending her, wanted to bathe her lips with cold water, she held out one of her hands, and said, "I want nothing more in this world," and expired. She had chosen a burial place; I wrote the epitaph, which is engraved upon her tombstone. 'Tis as follows:

(A small but grateful tribute of my heart to one whom I had loved so well and long.)

To the Memory of Mary Champe Brooke The wife of Judge Brooke; She expired on the 25th of October, 1846, in the 68th year of her age.

She was never excelled in virtue, or any of those endearing qualities which made her an affectionate wife and devoted mother!

She left two children, Francis and Helen. Francis married Ella, the youngest daughter of Colonel Ambler, of Jamestown. She is a most amiable wife and mother; they have three sons.

Helen married most unfortunately; her husband was governed by nothing but passion; treated her very cruelly, and she was forced to apply for a divorce to the Legislature, which she obtained, and now lives with me; and he, like the base Judean, "Threw away a pearl richer than all his tribe." She has a little girl, Mary Champe, called after her grandmother.

My native state conferred many offices upon me. I represented the County of Essex in 1794-95, in the House of Delegates. In 1796 my brother, John, having married and declined the practice of the law, I removed from Tappahannock to Fredericksburg, to finish the law business he and my brother Robert had left. In 1800, I was elected a Judge of the General Court (as my commission will show), and, of course, rode the districts of the District Courts, until the Circuit Courts were established; when I was assigned to this circuit, beginning at Goochland, going to Richmond, Hanover, Essex, Caroline, and Spottsylvania, until 1811, when I was elected Judge of the Court of Appeals; of which I was President eight years, and where I was continued ever since. In 1831, I was again elected a Judge of the Court of Appeals, under the New Constitution.

My military appointments were as follows: In the year 1796, I was appointed Major of a Battalion of Cayalry, annexed to the second division of the militia. In 1800, I was appointed Lieutenant Colonel Commandant of the second regiment of Cayalry, in the second division of the militia, Colonel Tom Mann Randolph having resigned. In 1802, I was appointed Brigadier General of the First Brigade and second division of the militia.

Though I had married into two families that had been among the wealthiest in Virginia, it did not profit me very much-for though Gen. Spotswood was a devoted father-in-law, he had not much to give. He gave to his daughter, when we went to Tappahannock, a small servant girl, who soon after died; he gave me a bill of exchange upon Charleston, drawn by Maj. Churchill Jones, which helped me to purchase an old home, in Tappahannock, which was repaired by two of my father's mechanics. In the meantime, he wrote a letter to my father saying, that if he would give me ten negroes, of a particular description, he would give me at his death an equal share with the rest of his children, of his property. My father had delivered some of the negroes before his death, and the General insisted that I should sue his executor for the rest of them and I brought a suit in the High Court of Chancery, and got a decree for them; in the record of which suit Gen. Spotswood's letter and my father's reply to it can be found. After Gen. Spotswood's death, he having left nothing by his will to me, or any of my family, I brought a suit against his executor, in the Chancery Court at Fredericksburg, upon the contract; but the delays of the law were so great at the time, that I compromised the suit with the executor, to which course my counsel, the late Judge Stanard, thinking that I had made a bad compromise, was very much opposed. The executor gave me an order for three thousand dollars on the suit, which Gen. Spotswood had in the Federal Court (which suit Gen. Spotswood had against the securities of his guardian), which ultimately I received. The executor also conveyed to me one hundred and fifty acres of land, which lies near me.

I personally knew (as well as so young a man could know) all the eminent military characters of the revolution, with the exception of Alexander Hamilton and Gen. Knox. I knew Washington, Green and Gates-I knew Washington in my boyhood. He came to Smithfield with Gen. Spotswood, in 1773, I think it was. He was then a Colonel in the British army. I remember his dress; he wore a deep blue coat, a scarlet waistcoat, trimmed with a gold chain, and buckskin small clothes, boots, spurs, and sword; he had with him a beautiful greyhound; was fond of the sports of the field, and proposed to my father, who had a tame deer, to try if the greyhound could not eatch him; to which my father assented, and after leaping over the yard palings, they went through the garden where they leaped the palings again; when the deer turned towards the river, he got a start of the greyhound, and got into the river before he could eatch him. Gen. Washington was afterwards at Smithfield two or three times. He was fond of horses; my father had some excellent ones, so had Gen. Spotswood; they took the horses to the road, and mounted the boys upon them, to try their speed. Gen. Washington, in the year 1774, came to Fredericksburg to review the independent companies. After the review, they gave him a collation in the old market house, where he had all the boys of a large grammar school, of which I was one, brought to him; gave them a drink of punch, patted them upon their heads, and asked them if they could fight for their country. After the war he frequently came to Fredericksburg, where his mother resided, and his only sister, Mrs. Lewis. He attended the ball of the 22d of February; opened it by dancing a minuet with some lady, then danced cotillions and country dances; was very gallant, and always attached himself, by his attentions, to some one or more of the most beautiful and attractive ladies at the balls. The next day, his friends gave him a dinner, at which, after the cloth was removed, and the wine came on, a Mr. Jack Stewart (who had been a Clerk of the House of Delegates), a great vocalist, was called upon for a song; and he sang one from the novel of "Roderick Random," which was a very amusing one. Gen. Washington laughed at it very much, and encored it. The next day, when I went to his sister's to introduce strangers to him, I found him one of the most dignified men of the age. While he was President of the United States, at the instance of my father-in-law, Gen. Spotswood, he offered me the collector's office at Tappahannock; but I preferred my profession, and declined it, though the office, at that time, was a very lucrative one. Washington was undoubtedly a great man, and there was a sublimity in his greatness which exceeded that of any of the great men of ancient or modern history.

I have said before of Gen. Green, that I was in some degree a pet of his, and I have assigned the cause why I was so. Being a good deal at headquarters, I knew him to be an amiable and excellent domestic character; he was devoted to his wife amid all the danger and excitement of war. And the elder Judge Tucker told me this anecdote of him: that after the battle of Guilford, and the retreat to the Iron Works, the General discovered that he had no bed; he invited him to take a part of his, and in the morning, when Tucker awoke, he found him admiring his wife's picture which hung round his neck. He was much beloved by the army; was cautious not to engage in battle, unless there was a prospect of crippling or defeating the enemy. There is a letter in Johnson's life of him, from Gen. Washington, after the battle of Eutaw Spring, which begins: "I rejoice, my dear General, that you have, at length, gained a victory," etc. I loved him, and to the page of history consign his memory. I did not know Gen. Gates in the army, but, after the peace, he resided twelve months in Fredericksburg, and being fond of young company, I frequently saw him; his manners were very fine. He had served in the British army, was, I have no doubt, an excellent camp officer,acquainted with tacties in the drill, but not qualified to command an army.

I have said that I knew also the leading civil characters of that period. I knew Mr. Jefferson very well. The first time I saw him was at the Magazine, at Westham, above Richmond, as I have mentioned before. I was afterwards often at Monticello, and saw much of him there; and while he was President of the United States. He was a man of easy and ingratiating manners; he was very partial to me, and I corresponded with him while I was Vice-President of the Society of Cincinnati; he wished the funds of that Society to be appropriated to his central college, near Charlottesville; and on one occasion I obtained an order for a meeting of the Society, to that effect; but in my absence the order was rescinded, and the funds appropriated to the Washington College, at Lexington, to which Gen. Washington had given his shares in the James River Company, which the State had presented him with. Mr. Jefferson never would discuss any proposition if you differed with him, for he said he thought discussion rather rivetted opinions than changed them. When I was elected Speaker of the Senate of Virginia, he sent me his parliamentary manual, with a very flattering note wafered in it, which is now in the possession of my son Robert. Of Mr. Madison, I personally did not know as much; his manners were not so fine or insinuating as Mr. Jefferson's; he was devoted to Mr. Jefferson but differed with him in some respects; he never shunned discussion, but courted it-told many excellent ancedotes of times past-and was among the purest and ablest statesmen we ever had. I knew Mr. Monroe, practiced law with him, and I think, though a slow man, he possessed a strong mind and excellent judgment. When I was at York, in 1824, with Gen. LaFayette, Mr. Calhoun, then Secretary of War, was there, and I asked him the question, whether it was the President Monroe or his Cabinet, who were in favor of that passage in his message which declared to the Holy Alliance, that America would not be indifferent to any attempt to aid the Spanish Government to prevent the enfranchisement of the South American powers, then at war with Spain; and he replied, that it was the President's own sentiment, and though he was a slow man, yet give him time, and he was a man of the best judgment he had ever known.

This narrative has been written, or dictated by snatches, at different times, and may therefore contain some repetitions, and I may have omitted some things that ought to be in it; but my recollections are too numerous for me to record them all, and I believe I have given a sufficient number of them to answer my purpose-to gratify my family and friends-and I will now rest. Francis T. Brooke.

Richmond, May 1st, 1849.

Judge Francis Taliaferro Brooke((2)), son of Richard Brooke((1)) and Elizabeth Taliaferro, b. at Smithfield, Va., August 28, 1764; d. at St. Julien, March 3, 1851, aged 87. Married Mary Randolph Spotswood, October 3, 1791; b. New Post, Va., June 19, 1775; d. St. Julien, Va., January 23rd, 1803, aged 28. Issue:

I. John Brooke((3)), who was a surgeon in the Navy, d. off the coast of China and was buried in some Chinese port. Married -; d. without issue.

II. Robert Spotswood Brooke((3)). Married Margaret Lyle Smith, of Egypt, Va., Nov. 24, 1835.

III. Mary Randolph Spotswood Brooke((3)). Married Dr. Edmund Berkeley.

IV. Elizabeth Brooke((3)), d. aged 15.

Robert Spotswood Brooke((3)) (Francis T.((2)), Richard((1))), son of Francis Taliaferro Brooke and Mary Randolph Spotswood, his wife, b. at St. Julien, September 5, 1800; d. Staunton, Va., May, 1851. Married (first) Elizabeth Smith, of Folly, Va., near Staunton, Va. Issue:

I. Margaret Brooke((4)). Married Thomas P. Eskridge. Issue: Elizabeth, Brooke, Meta and Mary.

II. Virginia Brooke((4)). Married Dr. Briscoe Baldwin Donoghe. Issue: Mary, Florence and Virginia Donoghe.

III. Elizabeth Smith Brooke((4)). Married John Lewis Cochran, of Charlottesville, Va. Issue: Anne, John, Joseph and James Cochran.

Robert Spotswood Brooke((3)). Married (second) Margaret Lisle Smith, daughter of Abraham Smith, of Harrisonburg, Va. Miss Lisle was daughter of Mr. Lisle and Margaret Baker, daughter of John Baker and Judith Howard Baker, who was daughter of Peter Wood and Susanna C. Joanna Howard. Issue:

I. John Francis Brooke((4)). Married Ann Carter Berkeley.

II. Juliet Lyle Brooke((4)), unmarried.

III. Mary Randolph Spotswood Brooke((4)). Married Overton Bowcock.

IV. Martha Washington Brooke((4)). Married Walter Frederick Churnside, of England, had issue.

V. Francis Taliaferro Brooke((4)). Married Ann Aurelia Burnley.

VI. Edmund Berkeley Brooke((4)), unmarried. It is supposed that the Bakers and Brookes were related before they came to this country. Baker Brooke's name is recorded of the same date as Spotswood's, and in that case both Margaret and Virginia married cousins. The Eskridges and Doneghe or Druaghes (?) both were descendants in the Baker line of the sisters of John Baker who married Judith Wood.

Mary Randolph Spotswood Brooke((3)) (Francis Taliaferro((2)), Richard((1))), daughter of Judge Francis Taliaferro Brooke and Mary Randolph Spotswood. Married Dr. Edmund Berkeley, of Staunton, son of Dr. Carter Berkeley and Katherine Spotswood Carter, of Shirley, of Edgewood, Hanover Co., who was son of Nelson Berkeley I (and Elizabeth Wormeley Carter, of Sabine Hall), of Airwell, Hanover Co., Va.; who was son of Edmund Berkeley II, of Barn Elms, Middlesex County, Va. (and Mary Nelson of Yorktown); who was son of Edmund Berkeley I, of Barn Elms, Middlesex Co., Va. (and Lucy Burwell of Carter's Creek, Gloucester Co., Va.); who was son of Edmund Berkeley I, of Gloucester Co., Va. (and Mary -; who was son of Edmund Berkeley; who was a son of Maurice Berkeley; who was a son of John Berkeley, the head of the Beverstone branch of the Berkeley family in England, and who came to Virginia in 1619 and was killed in the massacre of 1622 at Falling Creek.

Dr. Edmund Berkeley((4)) and Mary Randolph Spotswood Brooke((3)) had issue:

II. Lavinia Berkeley((4)). Married Col. Norborne Berkeley, of "Stoke," Loudoun Co., Va.

III. Katherine Spotswood Berkeley((4)). Married William Igleheart, of Annapolis, Md., lawyer. He served in C. S. A. Issue:

I. Annie Igleheart((5)), unmarried.

II. Lieutenant Berkeley Igleheart((5)), Lieut, U. S. Army. Unmarried (1906).

IV. Capt. Francis Brooke Berkeley((4)) (married); d. Oct. 5, 1898, leaving issue.

V. Dr. Carter Berkeley((4)). Married twice; d. March 7, 1905, leaving issue by first wife.

VI. John Francis Berkeley((4)), d. young.

VII. Mary Botts Berkeley((4)) (still living), never married.

VIII. Edmund Berkeley((4)), served in Confederate Army; never married, resides at Staunton, Va.

IX. Alexander Spotswood Berkeley((4)), served in the Confederate Army, at the age of 15; never married, lives at Staunton, Va.

Lavinia Berkeley((4)) (Mary R. S. Brooke((3)), Francis Taliaferro((2)), Richard((1))), daughter of Dr. Edmund Berkeley of Staunton and Mary R. S. Brooke, his wife. Married Col. Norborne Berkeley, of "Stoke," Loudoun Co., Va. He was a graduate of Virginia Military Institute; Colonel 8th Virginia Infantry, Civil War; member of the Constitution Convention of Virginia, 1869.

John and Francis were twins

view all

Judge Francis T. Brooke's Timeline

August 27, 1763
Smithfield, Spotsylvania, Virginia
Age 28
Age 34
September 5, 1800
Age 37
St Julien, Spotsylvania, Virginia
Age 39
Age 48
Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Virginia
Age 49
March 3, 1851
Age 87
Spotsylvania, Virginia