Hebrew: עמיחי יוסף ., Lakota: Kangi Okiye .
|Current Location::||Denver, Denver County, Colorado, United States|
|Birthplace:||Howery Ranch, Tie Siding, Albany County, Wyoming, United States|
Son of Ridge Durand and Jeanne Swanström
|Occupation:||Attorney, Librarian, Genealogist, Commercial Real Estate Underwriter, Network Engineer, Software Development Manager, Technical Writer, Technical Editor, Bookstore Owner, Non-profit Manager|
<private> Snowdon (Toomey)ex-spouse
<private> Lanners (Durand)child
<private> Ferrémother's ex-spouse
Private Userhalf sibling
About Justin Swanström
I am a retired attorney. I have been doing genealogy since about 1968. I have an undergraduate degree in History with minors in Philosophy and Literature. I did graduate work in Medieval Studies (as well as International Relations, Public Policy, and Educational Design).
I was one of the early adopters of DNA testing for genealogy. I'm currently administrator for the Scandinavian yDNA project, the G-L497 Haplogroup project, the Hauri and Luce surname projects, and several other projects at Family Tree DNA
I am also actively involved in heraldry. I am one of the founding members and a former VP of the American Heraldry Society.
I am a retired attorney, currently working as Executive Director of the Coalition of Visionary Resources, the trade organization for Mind/Body/Spirit publishers and bookstores. I also work a few days a week at my husband's bookstore, Shining Lotus.
I define myself as an ethnic Mormon. My immediate ancestors were pioneers of the American West -- ranchers and farmers, cowboys and Indians, outlaws and preachers. I'm the 7th generation to live in Utah; 6th generation in Colorado; 5th generation in Oregon, Montana and Wyoming; and 4th generation in California.
My distant ancestry is mostly colonial American, divided about equally among the northern, southern, and middle colonies, with immigrants from England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, France, and Netherlands. I also have bits of Lakota or Shoshoni, Cherokee, and Matinecock, a hint of Colonial New Mexico, a bit of African-American, and a chunk of Swedish.
- I ended up with my mother's maiden name instead of my birth name.
- My earliest Swanström ancestor is Peter Jonsson Cavat (c1732-1759), of Gärdserum, Östergötland, Sweden. He was taken prisoner at the Battle of Demmin and never returned.
- My earliest male line ancestor is Ulrich Hauri (c1283 - c1324), of Beromünster, Switzerland. He was a rich peasant whose descendants became Untervogts of Reinach.
- My 6th great grandfather Jacob Howry (1734-1809) founded Howrytown, Virginia.
- My earliest female line ancestor is [Rebecca Vance Rebecca Baptista (c1621-after 1648), of Londonderry, Ireland.
- I know my complete ancestry for five generations. In the 6th generation back, I'm missing two people -- the parents of an Irish immigrant named Mary Patterson, who was born about 1817 and lived in Pittsburgh. Going back 10 generations, I know 893 (44%) out of a possible 2,046 ancestors.
- My yDNA is Haplogroup G2a3b1a2a1a, a group that is rare in Europe, but common in the Middle East. My distant fathers were probably Rhaetian tribesmen, descended from the Etruscans in Italy. One of the Etruscan origin myths says they came from what is now Turkey. The story of Aeneas is a distant echo of this ancient migration.
- My mtDNA is Haplogroup V2, a group that is most common around the North Sea and along the northern coast of Spain. My distant mothers were probably Portuguese Jews. They might have been among those who settled in Madeira, then migrated to England, Scotland, and Ireland in the 17th century.
- Daniel Boone, Frontiersman 1st cousin 7 times removed
- Aslak and Elling Borgersrud, Rap musicians (Gatas Parlament) 4th cousins once removed
- William Cullen Bryant, Poet former 2nd cousin 6 times removed in law
- Bernt Bull, Norwegian politician 4th cousin
- Brynjulf Bull, Mayor of Oslo 3rd cousin once removed
- Pete Catches, Lakota medicine man father's blood brother, "uncle"
- President Bill Clinton former 3rd cousin in law
- Ridge Durand, Cowboy artist, father
- Mikkel Haugen, Rødt Oslo 4th cousin once removed
- William Adams "Wild Bill' Hickman, Danite leader 3rd great uncle
- Elmer Holt, Governor of Montana 2nd cousin twice removed
- Meriwether Lewis, Explorer uncle of 3rd great grandmother's husband
- Wilford "Will" Luce, Outlaw 2nd great grandfather
- Johan Øgrim, Head of the Salvation Amy in Denmark, Sweden, and Germany "uncle" and 1st cousin 3 times removed
- Tron Øgrim, co-Founder of the Norwegian Workers' Communist Party 4th cousin
- Lt. General Solomon Place, War of 1812 step 4th great grandfather
- Annalee Skarin, Mormon mystic step 2nd cousin twice removed
- Joseph Smith, Mormon Prophet 5th cousin 5 times removed, 3rd great step-uncle, and step 1st cousin-in-law 4 times removed
- Richard Thrune, President, Dow Chemical step grandfather
- Brigham Young, Utah pioneer 4th cousin 8 times removed, 3rd great step-uncle, and former 3rd great uncle-in-law
Some colonial connections
- John Adams, 2nd U.S. President 3rd cousin 8 times removed
- Isaac Allerton, "Mayflower" passenger 10th great grandfather
- Francis Billington, "Mayflower" passenger 9th great grandfather
- Francis Eaton, "Mayflower passenger 9th great grandfather
- Thomas Greene, 2nd Colonial Governor of Maryland 9th great grandfather
- John Howland, "Mayflower" passenger 10th great grandfather
- Thomas Jefferson, 3rd U.S. President, step 1st cousin 8 times removed
- Edmund Jennings, Governor of Virginia 9th great uncle
- Thomas Mayhew, Colonial Governor of Martha's Vineyard 10th great grandfather
- John Tilley, "Mayflower" passenger 11th great grandfather
- Robert Treat, Colonial Governor of Connecticut 10th great grandfather.
- Richard Warren, "Mayflower" passenger 11th great grandfather
- John Webster, Colonial Governor of Connecticut 12th great grandfather
Some royal connections, dutifully noted
- Charlemagne, Western emperor 31st great grandfather
- Edward III, King of England 20th great grandfather
- Somerled, King of the Hebrides 22nd great grandfather
- Sorley Boy MacDonnell. Clan hero 12th great uncle
- Mary, Queen of Scots 1st cousin 15 times removed
- Jane Seymour, wife of Henry VIII 14th great aunt
- Gustaf I Vasa, King of Sweden 13th great grandfather