Lady Alethea Talbot, Baroness Furnivall

Is your surname Talbot?

Research the Talbot family

Lady Alethea Talbot, Baroness Furnivall's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Related Projects

Lady Alethea Talbot, Baroness Furnivall

Also Known As: "Alathea /Talbot/"
Birthdate: (69)
Birthplace: Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Death: May 24, 1654 (65-73)
Reusel-de Mierden, , Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
Place of Burial: Rotherham,Yorkshire,England
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Gilbert Talbot, 7th Earl of Shrewsbury and Countess Mary Cavendish
Wife of Thomas Howard, 21st Earl of Arundel
Mother of Sir Henry Frederick Howard, 22nd Earl of Arundel; Anne Howard; James Howard, Lord Baron Maltravers; Ven Sir William Howard Viscount Stafford and unknown father of Edward Howard, of Bertie, NC
Sister of George Talbot; James Talbott; Mary Talbot, Countess of Pembroke; Lady Elizabeth Talbot and John Talbot

Occupation: Countess of Arundel
Managed by: Henn Sarv
Last Updated:

About Lady Alethea Talbot, Baroness Furnivall

Lady Alethea Talbot, Baroness Talbot was the daughter of Gilbert Talbot, 7th Earl of Shrewsbury and Mary Cavendish.1 She married Sir Thomas Howard, 21st Earl of Arundel, son of Philip Howard, 20th Earl of Arundel and Anne Dacre, in September 1606.3 She died on 3 June 1654 [24 May 1654 O.S.] at Amsterdam, The Netherlands.1 She was buried at Rotherham, Yorkshire, England.1 She died intestate and her estate was administered to to William Howard, Viscount Stafford, younger son of deceaasd in 1659.1 She died intestate and her estate was administered to to Henry Stafford-Howard, Earl of Stafford, grandson of deceaasd on 8 January 1714/15.1

From September 1606, her married name became Howard. As a result of her marriage, Lady Alethea Talbot, Baroness Talbot was styled as Countess of Arundel in September 1606. She succeeded to the title of Baroness Talbot [E., 1331] on 7 December 1651.1 She succeeded to the title of Baroness Strange de Blackmere [E., 1308] on 7 December 1651.1 She succeeded to the title of Baroness of Furnivall [E., 1295] on 7 December 1651.1

Wikipedia entry:


Lady Alethea Talbot was born in Sheffield, Yorkshire in 1585.

In September, 1606, she married Thomas Howard, and they had three children; their first son died as a teenager:

   * '''James Howard, Baron Maltravers (1607-1624)'''
   * '''Henry Frederick Howard, 22nd Earl of Arundel (1608-1652)'''
   * '''William Howard, 1st Viscount Stafford (c. 1614-1680)'''

Along with her sister Elizabeth and cousin Arbella Stuart, she performed in a masque of the Queens, celebrating the investiture of Henry Stuart as Prince of Wales in 1610.

Lady Arundel wished to join her husband abroad, but was dissuaded from doing so. Alethea and her husband accompanied the Elector Palatine Frederick V and his bride Princess Elizabeth Stuart as far as Heidelberg on their marriage in 1613.

Lady Arundel used her money to buy back Arundel House and she financed their trip to Italy in 1613-1614,[2] travelling with Inigo Jones. The Earl of Arundel was one of the first Englishmen to buy antique statues. She meets him in Siena. Together they travelled to Rome, Naples, Padua, Genoa, Turin, and Paris. They reached England in November 1614. Alethea’s father died in 1616; she inherited a third of the estate and his serious collecting started.

Around 1619 Lord Arundel sent his two elder sons to Padua. In 1620 Rubens painted Alethea Talbot, and her retinue, jester, dwarf and dog in Antwerp when she was on her way to Italy. (The male figure, called lord Arundel, was added many years later by an unknown hand.) He wished to visit his sons, but decided that Lady Arundel should go alone. Lady Arundel was accompanied by Francesco Vercellini. She stayed in Spa and engaged apartments. Lady Arundel moved to Milan and Padua.

In 1622 she lived in Venice in Palazzo Mocenigo facing the Canal Grande, also a villa at Dolo. Antonio Priuli's election began a brutal process of ferreting out individuals suspected of plotting against Venice. Hundreds were arrested, with or without cause, with attention specially focused on foreign soldiers and sailors. The manhunt led to the arrest of many actual plotters, but also of many innocent victims, such as Antonio Foscarini, a patrician who was executed on April 21, 1621, after attending an event at the English Embassy.

The hysteria ended in 1622, and on January 16, 1623, the Venetian government issued an apology for Foscarini's execution, thus marking a scaling back of the manhunt. Sir Henry Wotton warns her to leave Venice. She declines the advice and goes straight to Venice. Insists on appearing next day, with Sir Henry Wotton, before the Doge and Senate and is completely justified. Lady Arundel leaves Venice with letters from the Doge ordering every favour to be shown to her on her journey through Venetian territory. She spends the winter in Turin together with her two sons. She met with Anthony van Dyck, the painter. Together they went to Mantua.

In 1623 she attempted to go to Spain to woo the Infanta, sister of Philip IV of Spain.[2] She starts for England, intending to visit the Queen of Bohemia at the Hague on the way. In 1624 Maltravers dies of smallpox in Ghent. In 1626 her husband was put in Tower by Charles because their elder son Maltravers had secretly married a kinswoman of Charles Elisabeth Stuart without permission. Joachim von Sandrart gives his opinion on the collection and copies the works by Holbein. The King Charles I and Queen Henrietta Maria visit Arundel House to see the collections. Birth of another grandson to Lord Arundel.

The king refused to allow Lady Arundel to accompany her husband on a special embassy to Holland, to invite the Winter Queen, his sister, to England.

In 1633 Lady Arundel purchased a small villa, known as Tart Hall, (located just south of Buckingham Palace).[3] Maltravers elected member of the Dublin Parliament of 1634. Arundel and his son pay a visit to Lord Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford in Dublin.

In 1636 Lady Arundel meets her husband on the Thames, after his visit to the Holy Roman Emperor. She is involved in a Catholic intrique. Lord Arundel acquires the cabinet of Daniel Nijs. Maria de' Medici comes to England.

In 1638 debts threatened ruin the estate, her husband started the Madagascar plan. Arundel House contained thirty seven statues, 128 busts and 250 inscriptions. Artemisia Gentileschi may have worked for Aletheia. A portrait by Van Dyck of Lord Arundel and his wife. Departure of the Queen-Mother, Maria de' Medici from England. Lord and Lady Arundel appointed to escort her to Cologne.

Wenceslas Hollar - Altheia, Countess of Arundel

[edit] Staying in the Netherlands

In 1641, during the English Civil War, she and her husband, their son, Viscount Stafford, and his wife fled to the Netherlands. She commissioned an inventory of the contents of Tart Hall, her home on the margins of St James's, which included a chamber known as the Dutch Pranketing Room.[4] Lady Arundel was not prepared to wait for Marie de' Medici and with characteristic decisiveness set off for the Continent on her own, the reason being, so it was said, that she had a 'mania' for travel.[5] Alethea went straight to Utrecht and met there with her husband. When he accompanied Maria de' Medici to Cologne, Alethea tried to persuade Urban VIII to allow her to enter a Carthusian monastery.[6] In 1642 her husband accompanied the Queen and Princess Mary for her marriage to William II of Orange and left straight for Padua.

She lived in Antwerp, but moved to Alkmaar, after her husband died. She invited Franciscus Junius, for thirty years in their service, to rearrange the collection of books. Then she moved to Amersfoort (1649), and rented a pied-a-terre in Amsterdam at Singel 292, an elegant house, with a court yard facing Herengracht.[7]

When the Earl of Arundel died, Alethea inherited the collection of 600 paintings and drawings from Dürer, Holbein, Brueghel, Lucas van Leyden, Rembrandt, Rubens, Van Dyck, Raffaello da Urbino and Titian, but 181 entries with no name appended [2]; 200 statues and 5,000 drawings, which he had bought with her money. His debts (or the collection) were estimated £ 100.000.[8] She inherited Arundel Castle and Arundel House. Her eldest son argued three years in court against his father will.

In 1651, she succeeded to the title of Baroness Furnivall, a title of her father's that had been in abeyance since his death. In 1652 her favourite son William was arrested in the Pfalz [9], Henry Frederick died. In 1653 William arrived in Amsterdam. On 3 June 1654 Alethea died in Amsterdam without leaving a will and a compiled and far from clear inventory was made.[10] The inventory consisted of 36 paintings by Titian, 16 by Giorgione, 19 by Tintoretto, 11 by Correggio, 17 by Veronese 12 by Rafaello and five by Da Vinci.

Two grandchildren claimed half of the inheritance [11] and sent Sir Edward Walker to the Netherlands. In 1655 Stafford was arrested in Utrecht, but released within a few weeks. Henry Howard, 6th Duke of Norfolk and his brother Charles were keen on getting the paintings and went in Utrecht to court in 1658 and 1661. Later on Henry inherited Arundel House, and Tart Hall (on Stafford Row) went to their uncle William.[12]

Like her sister, Elizabeth, Alethea was interested in the use of herbs and other foodstuffs for medical purposes. Her recipes were published under the title Natura Exenterata [13]

view all 12

Lady Alethea Talbot, Baroness Furnivall's Timeline

Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Age 22
August 15, 1608
Age 23
Whitehall, Westminster, Middlesex, England
Age 27
November 30, 1614
Age 29
May 24, 1654
Age 69
Reusel-de Mierden, , Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
June 3, 1654
Age 69
September 4, 1965
Age 69
December 29, 1965
Age 69