Matching family tree profiles for Dame Catherine Berkeley
About Dame Catherine Berkeley
Catherine Blount, c.1518-February 25, 1558/9, was the daughter of William Blount, 4th baron Mountjoy (1479-November 8, 1534) and Alice Kebel (1482-June 8, 1521). Catherine married Sir John Champernowne of Modbury Devon (c.1541/2), by whom she had a son, Henry (1538-1570) and then, by 1547, became the first wife of Sir Maurice Berkeley of Bruton (1508-August 11, 1581). By her second husband she was the mother of Henry (d.c.1600), Edward (d.1581+), Gertrude (d.1581+), Elizabeth (d.1581+), Margaret (d.1581+) and Anne (d.1581+). Some genealogies say she also was the mother of Frances Berkeley, but a daughter by that name is also found listed under Berkeley’s second wife. Since no Frances is mentioned in Berkeley’s 1581 will, she (or they) must have died before that.
- 'Catherine BLOUNT
- 'Born: ABT 1518, Modbury, Devonshire, England
- 'Died: 25 Feb 1558/9, Newport, Devonshire, England
- Father: William BLOUNT (4° B. Mountjoy)
- Mother: Alice KEBLE (B. Mountjoy)
- 'Married 1: John CHAMPERNOWNE of Modbury ABT 1537, Newport, Devonshire, England
- 1. Henry CHAMPERNOWNE of Modbury
- 'Married 2: Maurice BERKELEY of Bruton (Sir Knight) ABT 1547
- 2. Henry BERKELEY
- 3. Edward BERKELEY
- 4. Son BERKELEY
- 5. Dau. BERKELEY
- 6. Dau. BERKELEY
- 7. Dau. BERKELEY
- 8. Dau. BERKELEY
- 9. Dau. BERKELEY
- '¿Married 3: Son RUSSELL
- 1. Thomas RUSSELL (overseer of Shakespeare's will)?
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BLOUNT1.htm#Catherine BLOUNT2
- 'Essex Institute historical collections, Volume 17 By Essex Institute
- Essex Institute historical collections, Volume 17 By Essex Institute
- Pg. 17
- William Champnoun, armiger, of Modbury (co. Devon); will (in Latin) 6 Oct., 1464, proved 24 Nov.
- Pg. 18
- 1464; wife Elizabeth, son and heir John Champnon, brother Thomas Champnon. [Godyn, L. 7.]
- Sir Philip Champernon, of Modburie; 1 Aug., 37th Henry VIII, proved 5 Feb'y, 1545; Sir John Champernon my father; wife Katherine and Sir Edmunde, her father; son Arthur; 'Katherine late wife of John Champernon, my son and heir deceased'; daughter Katherine Champernon (sic). [Alen, L. 3. ]
- 'Katherine Blount
- 'F, b. circa 1506, d. 25 February 1559
- Father Sir William Blount, 4th Lord Mountjoy b. c 1478, d. 8 Nov 1534
- Mother Elizabeth Say b. c 1481, d. b 21 Jul 1506
- ' Katherine Blount was born circa 1506 at of Modbury, Devonshire, England. She married Sir Maurice Berkeley, son of Richard Berkeley, Esq. and Elizabeth Coningsby, circa 1527. Katherine Blount died on 25 February 1559 at Newport, Devonshire, England.
- 'Family Sir Maurice Berkeley b. c 1508, d. 1581
- ◦Sir Henry Berkeley1 b. c 1531
- 1.[S15] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, p. 511.
Genealogies list two different women as the mother of Catherine Blount. One is Elizabeth Saye (also spelled Say; born about 1480 and died before 21 Jul 1506. She is said to have married William Blount Lord Mountjoye in 1497 in Newport, Devon, England, and bore two children: Gertrude Blunt (born about 1502 in Newport, Devon, England; died 25 Sep 1558) and Catherine (Katherine). Elizabeth Saye's known ancestry is only known to her parents: William Saye (about 1454 – ?) and Elizabeth Fray (about 1459 – ?).
The other woman is that which is listed here in the profile: Alice Perkyns. Her ancestry only extends to her parents and to three of her grandparents.
Dame Catherine Berkeley's Timeline
Modbury, Devon, , England
Modbury, Devon, England
Bruton, Somerset, , England
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
February 25, 1559