Matching family tree profiles for Lady Elizabeth Howard
view all 22
About Lady Elizabeth Howard
Maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth I of England.
- Lady Elizabeth Howard1
- F, #25206, b. 1564, d. circa January 1646
- Last Edited=24 Sep 2011
- Consanguinity Index=0.79%
- Lady Elizabeth Howard was born in 1564.2 She was the daughter of Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham and Katherine Carey.1 She married, firstly, Sir Robert Southwell, son of Francis Southwell and Dorothy Tendring, before 1604.1 She married, secondly, John Stewart, 1st and last Earl of Carrick, son of Robert Stewart, 1st Earl of Orkney and Lady Janet Kennedy, on 26 October 1604 at Chelsea, London, England.1 She died circa January 1646.1 She was buried on 31 January 1645/46 at Greenwich, Kent, England.1 She died intestate and her estate was administered to Sir Matthew Mennes, on behalf of his daughter Margaret on 3 March 1645/46.1
- She held the office of Maid of Honour to Queen Elizabeth I between 1576 and 1583.2 From before 1604, her married name became Southwell.1 From 26 October 1604, her married name became Stewart.1
- Child of Lady Elizabeth Howard and Sir Robert Southwell
- 1.Sir Richard Southwell+3
- Child of Lady Elizabeth Howard and John Stewart, 1st and last Earl of Carrick
- 1.Lady Margaret Stuart+4
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume III, page 60. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S3409] Caroline Maubois, "re: Penancoet Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 2 December 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Penancoet Family."
- 3.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 3, page 3689. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 4.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume III, page 59.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p2521.htm#i25206
- Elizabeth HOWARD (C. Carrick)
- Died: Jan 1645/6
- Buried: 31 Mar 1646, Greenwich, Kent, England
- Notes: Maid of Honour to Elizabeth I. On 10 Jun 1605, she had an annuity granted of £200 per ann on the decease of Elizabeth Leighton.
- Father: Charles HOWARD (1° E. Nottingham)
- Mother: Catherine CAREY (C. Nottingham)
- Married 1: Robert SOUTHWELL (Sir) 1583
- 1. Elizabeth SOUTHWELL
- 2. Catherine SOUTHWELL
- 3. Thomas SOUTHWELL (Sir)
- Married 2: John STEWART (E. Carrick) 26 Oct 1604 Chelsea, Middlesex, England
- 4. Margaret STEWART
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/HOWARD2.htm#Elizabeth HOWARD (C. Carrick)
- Elizabeth Howard (buried 31 March 1646). Maid of honour to Elizabeth I of England. She was married first to Sir Robert Southwell. One of their daughters, Elizabeth, was a lover and eventually a third wife of Robert Dudley (explorer). Another daughter, Frances, married Edward Rodney. Elizabeth Howard was secondly married to John Stewart, 1st Earl of Carrick.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Howard,_1st_Earl_of_Nottingham
- SOUTHWELL, Sir Robert (1563-98), of Wood Rising, Norf.
- b. 1563, o.s. of Thomas Southwell of Wood Rising by his 2nd w. Mary, da. of Sir Richard Mansell. educ. travelled abroad; G. Inn 1580. m. 17 Apr. 1583, Elizabeth, da. of Charles Howard I, 1st Earl of Nottingham, 4s. 4da. suc. fa. 1567. Kntd. 1585.1
- .... etc.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/southwell-sir-robert-1563-98
Lady Elizabeth Howard's Timeline
March 3, 1564
Effingham, Surrey, England, United Kingdom
March 3, 1583
January 31, 1645
Greenwich, London, England
March 31, 1646
London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom