Matching family tree profiles for Margaret Radcliffe (Stanley), Countess of Sussex
About Margaret Radcliffe (Stanley), Countess of Sussex
- 'Margaret Stanley1,2,3,4
- 'F, d. after January 1534
- Father Sir Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl Derby, 3rd Lord Stanley, Lord Strange of Knockin2,3,4 b. b 1485, d. 23 May 1521
- Mother Anne Hastings1,2,3 b. c 1484, d. 6 Sep 1550
- ' Margaret Stanley married Sir Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl Sussex, Viscount FitzWalter, 7th Lord FitzWalter, Great Chamberlain of England, son of Sir John Radcliffe, 6th Lord FitzWalter, Joint High Steward of England and Margaret Whetehill, between 11 May 1532 and 1 September 1532; They had 2 daughters (Jane, wife of Sir Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montague; & Anne, wife of Sir Thomas, 2nd Lord Wharton).1,5,6,4 Margaret Stanley died after January 1534; Buried at St. Laurence Pountney, London; d.s.p.m.1,3
- 'Family Sir Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl Sussex, Viscount FitzWalter, 7th Lord FitzWalter, Great Chamberlain of England b. c 1483, d. 27 Nov 1542
- ◦Jane Radcliffe+7,3,4 b. c 1532, d. 22 Jul 1552
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/1, p. 519.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 681-682.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 374.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 228.
- 5.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 174-175.
- 6.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 682.
- 7.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. IX, p. 97-99.
- 'Lady Margaret Stanley 
- F, #160112,
- d. January 1534
- Last Edited=6 Mar 2011
- Consanguinity Index=1.92%
Lady Margaret Stanley married Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl of Sussex, son of John Radcliffe, 9th Lord FitzWalter and Margaret (?), between 11 May 1532 and 1 September 1532.
She died in January 1534. 
She was the daughter of Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby and Anne Hastings. From between 11 May 1532 and 1 September 1532, her married name became Radcliffe. As a result of her marriage, Lady Margaret Stanley was styled as Countess of Sussex.
Children of Lady Margaret Stanley and Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl of Sussex
- 1.Lady Anne Radcliffe4
- 2.Lady Jane Radcliffe+5 b. 1533, d. 1553
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XII/1, page 519. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S3470] Marian Hastings, "re: Hastings Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 31 Deember 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Hastings Family."
- 3.[S125] Richard Glanville-Brown, online <e-mail address>, Richard Glanville-Brown (RR 2, Milton, Ontario, Canada), downloaded 17 August 2005.
- 4.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003). Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 5.[S1541] Beatrice Potter, "re: Lady Isabella Somerset," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 30 November 2005. Hereinafter cited as "re: Isabella Somerset."
- 'Margaret STANLEY (C. Sussex)
- 'Born: ABT 1505
- 'Died: AFT Jan 1533/34
- 'Buried: St. Laurence Pountney, London, England
- Father: Thomas STANLEY (2° E. Derby)
- Mother: Anne HASTINGS (C. Derby)
- 'Married: Robert RADCLIFFE (1° E. Sussex) BEF 1 Sep 1532
- 1. Jane RADCLIFFE
- 2. Son RADCLIFFE
- 3. Anne RADCLIFFE
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STANLEY1.htm#Margaret STANLEY (C. Sussex)
A Who’s Who of Tudor Women: H-He compiled by Kathy Lynn Emerson
ANNE HASTINGS (c.1485-November 17, 1550)
Anne Hastings was the daughter of Edward, 2nd baron Hastings (November 25, 1466-November 8, 1506) and Mary Hungerford (c.1468-July 10, 1533). Anne was married to John Radcliffe, Lord Fitzwalter (1442-1496) as a child. In 1507, she married Thomas Stanley, 2nd earl of Derby (1485-May 23, 1521) and was the mother of Edward, 3rd earl (May 10,1508-October 24,1572), John, Anne, Margaret (d. January 1534), Henry (d. June 29, 1528), James, George, Thomas (c.1515-1538), and Jane. Anne was at the court of Catherine of Aragon as the youngest of her ladies in waiting in 1509 and at the Field of Cloth of Gold in 1520. In 1542, when her son-in-law, Robert, earl of Sussex, died he gave Anne custody of his daughter, Jane (her mother was Anne's late daughter Margaret) as well as the wardship of young Lord Berkeley, intended as the girl's husband. In 1545, Anne sold Berkeley's wardship to his mother for £1000. In her will, Anne left Jane clothing, furnishings, and the profits of that sale.
Margaret Radcliffe (Stanley), Countess of Sussex's Timeline
Probably Derbyshire, England
Matlock, Derbyshire, England
London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
London, Middlesex, England