Leah Virginia Sexton (Free)
|Also Known As:||"Ferree", "Sexson"|
|Birthplace:||New River, Grayson County, Virginia, United States|
|Death:||Died in Hobbieville, Greene, Indiana|
|Place of Burial:||Greene County, Indiana, United States|
|Managed by:||Jennifer Hart|
Matching family tree profiles for Leah Virginia Sexton
About Leah Virginia Sexton
It s has not been determined if Leah was married before she married William Sexton but from all information found on her she did not re-marry after his death - on the MyHeritage is found this -
Leah Durham (born Free)
- MyHeritage Family Trees
- sexson Web Site, managed by kyle sexson (Contact)
- Birth: 1766 - Virginia
- Death: 1839 - Hoabbieville, Greene Co, IN
- Husband: William Sexson
- Son: James Sexson
Leah is the daughter of Isaac Free/Ferree - who's ancestry can not be determined at this point in time!
However, in a book titled, "The History of Whitley Co., KY" Author: Whitley Co. History Book Committee Publication: Turner Publishing Co., 1994 , there is a section written about the WILLIAM SAXSON family that states the father of LEAH FREE was ISAAC FREE (FERREE) b. PA.
another states birth as - 1765 in Rowan County, North Carolina? BEF 1786 in Virginia (pension records say 1785, but this may be wrong) and that Some believe that the information given in pension records is incorrect, and that Leah was born abt. 1752, and married to William abt. 1770
William's pension papers on 5 July 1826 states - ... His family consist of the following persons, his wife Learia about sixty years of age unable to support herself by work, ... if 60 this would place her being born 1760
Leah Free of Ferree IS NOT the Daughter of Jacob Frye and Jemime Wells
and Leah is NOT A DAUGHTER of Isaac Ferree and Mary Copeland and by following the lineage as presented on GENI from here Isaac Ferree, Sr
- Isaac Ferree
- Birth: 1740
- Pennsylvania, United States
- Death: January 24, 1820 (80)
- Leacock, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
- Son of Isaac Ferree and Elizabeth Ferree
- Husband of Mary Copeland
- Father of Leah Free
- Brother of Elizabeth Ferree, Mary Ferree and Joel Ferree
- Added by: Cynthia on November 27, 2009
- Managed by: Cynthia
and on MyHertiage side
Leah Sexton (born Free)
- MyHeritage Family Trees
- Cazee Family Tree Web Site, managed by Pamela Sexton (Contact)
- Birth: Jan 1 1766 - New River, Grayson, Virginia
- Death: Aug 18 1839 - Hobbieville, Greene County, Indiana
- Parents: Isaac Ferree, Mary Ferree (born Copeland)
- Husband: William Sexton
- Children: Charles Sexton, Archibald Sexton, Zadock Sexton, John Sexton, Olivian Jane Sexton, Isaac Sexton, Jacob Sexton, Benjamin Franklin Sexton, Margaret Peggy Sexton, Isaac SexTON
one can find
- a Isaac Ferree who married ELIZABETH ELLEMAKER
- a Joel Ferree married Mary Copeland - but their daughter married JOHN ADAM LIGHTNER
I have taken only the bare bones information of the lineage as presented here
The bold is the lines is as she present back from Leah free/Ferree m. william Sexton to Jean Fiere La Verree who's son Daniel settled in Pennsylvania - but there has been NO SOLDI DOCUMENTAION of Leah Free or Ferree hertiage to date other that to state she was the daughter of Isaac.
DESCENDANTS OF DANIEL FERREE http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/m/o/Michael-A-Smoke/GENE21-0001.html there is very good documenation at this site.
First Generation 1. Jean Fiere La Verree-10385. He had the following children:
- +2 M i. DANIEL FERREE "silk manufacturer"-10387 was born 10 Mar 1646/1647 and died 1687.
2. DANIEL FERREE "silk manufacturer"-10387 (Jean Fiere) was born 10 Mar 1646/1647 in Picardie, France. He died 1687 in Lindau, Palintinate. DANIEL married (MRIN:1306) Anna Maria DE LA WARREMBERE-10384 on 1675 in Picardie, France. Anna was born in Picardie, Loire, France. She died Jan 1715/1716 in Conestoga Twp, Lancaster, Pennsylvania and was buried in Carpenter's Graveyard, Conestoga, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. They had the following children:
- + 3 M i. Daniel FERREE -0380 was born 1677 and died Aug 1762.
- + 4 M ii. Phillip FERREE-10418 was born Jul 1687 and died 19 May 1753.
3. Daniel FERREE-10380 (daniel FERREE, Jean Fiere) was born 1677 in Lindau, Bavaria, Germany. He died Aug 1762 in Paradise Twp, Lancaste, Pennsylvania.. Daniel married (MRIN:1287) Anna Maria LEININGER-10379 on 1701 in Steinweiler, Bavaria, Germany. Anna was born 1678 in Steinweiler, Bavaria, Germany. She died after 1715 in , Lancaster, Pennsylvania. They had the following children:
- + 5 M i. ISAAC LEININGER Ferree-10421 was born 1715 and died before 2 Apr 1782.
4. Phillip FERREE -10418 (daniel FERREE, Jean Fiere) was born Jul 1687 in Landau, Bavaria / Steinweiler, Bittingheim, Palitinate. He died 19 May 1753 in Paradise twp, Lancaster, Pennsylvania and was buried in arpenter's Graveyard, Paradise twp., Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Phillip married (MRIN:1732) LEAH CORLEA DUBOIS-10386 on 2 Jun 1713 in 1st Dutch Church Kingston or New Paltz, Ulster, N. Y. LEAH was born 10 Oct 1687 in New Paltz, Ulste., N.Y and was christened 16 Oct 1687 in Kingston, Ulster, NY. She died 12 Sep 1758 in Paradise twp., Lancaster, Pennsylvania and was buried in Ferree-carpenter Cemetery, Paradise twp., Lancaster, Pennsylvania. They had the following children:
- + 6 F i. ELIZABETH DUBOIS FERREE- 10422 was born 1718 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and died May 27, 1752 in Bart Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. She married (1) UNKNOWN ELLEMAKER. ELIZABETH married (2) (MRIN:1377) # 5 above ISAAC LEININGER Ferree** -10421, son of Daniel FERREE**-10380 and Anna Maria LEININGER -10379 (MRIN:1287), on 1738 in , Lancaster, Pennsylvania. ISAAC was born 1715 in Paradise, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He died before 2 Apr 1782 in Bart Twp, Lancaster, Pennsylvania..
- 7 M ii. ISAAC FERREE-10419 was born 1725 in Paradise, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He died 1759 in , Rowan, North Carolin. ISAAC married (MRIN:1363) ELIZABETH FORBUSH-10362 about 1749. ELIZABETH was born 1728. She died 1804 in , Surry, North Carolina. NOTE: they have also been made mentioned of beinf Leah's parents -
- + 8 M iii. JOEL FERREE Sr.-10376 was born 13 May 1731 and died 19 Jun 1801.
5. ISAAC LEININGER Ferree**-10421 (Daniel FERREE**, daniel FERREE, Jean Fiere) was born 1715 in Paradise, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He died before 2 Apr 1782 in Bart Twp, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. ISAAC married (1-MRIN:1377) # 6 above ELIZABETH DUBOIS FERREE**-10422, daughter of Phillip FERREE**-10418 and LEAH CORLEA DUBOIS-10386 (MRIN:1732), on 1738 in , Lancaster, Pennsylvania. ELIZABETH was born 1718 in , Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She died before 3 Mar 1753. They had the following children:
- + 9 M i. Isaac Free or Ferree ????- 9631 was born 1740.
- 10 M ii. ISAAC FERREE-10383 was born 1740. ISAAC married (MRIN:625) ELIZABETH ELLEMAKER.-10407.
- 11 F iii. Elizabeth Ferree-10406.
ISAAC also married (2-MRIN:762) SUSAN GREEN-10737. SUSAN was born after 1735. She died about 1786 in Bart twp, Lancaster, Pennsylvania..
7 M ii. ISAAC FERREE-10419 (Phillip FERREE , daniel FERREE, Jean Fiere) was born 1725 in Paradise, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He died 1759 in , Rowan, North Carolin. ISAAC married (MRIN:1363) ELIZABETH FORBUSH-10362 about 1749. ELIZABETH was born 1728. She died 1804 in , Surry, North Carolina. NOTE: they have also been made mentioned of beinf Leah's parents - Their children:
- 12 'JACOB FERREE ,b. August 08, 1750, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. September 05, 1807, Montiers Bottom, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. He married (1) RACHEL FERREE August 08, 1770 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, daughter of JOEL FERREE and MARY COPELAND. She was born 1755 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and died August 08, 1782 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania95. He married (2) ALICE POWELL July 01, 1783 in Trinity Lutheran Church, Lancaster, Lancaster County, PA. She was born January 12, 1761 in Chester County, Pennsylvania, and died June 21, 1846 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania .
- 13 REBECCA FERREE b. Abt. 1752, Rowan Co, North Carolina; d. 1809, Georgetown, Kentucky. She married (1) JOHN MARLATT. He was born 1748 in Rowan County, North Carolina (Probably), and died Bef. January 20, 1783 in Surry, North Carolina. She married (2) PALMER CRITCHFIELD August 13, 1783 in Surry County, North Carolina. He was born Abt. 1748
- 14 OLIVIA FERREE b. Abt. 1756, Rowan County, North Carolina.She married WILLIAM MOORE 1777 in Surry, North Carolina, son of EDWARD MOORE and AMY ASHLEY. He was born December 01, 1758 in Dover, Kent County, Delaware, and died July 15, 1844 in Livonia, Washington County, Indiana.
8. JOEL FERREE Sr.-10376 (Phillip FERREE**, daniel FERREE, Jean Fiere) was born 13 May 1731 in Paradise twp., Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He died 19 Jun 1801 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.. JOEL married (1-MRIN:629) SALLIE SARAH DAVIS-10382. JOEL also married (2-MRIN:573) MARY COPELAND-10413 about 1751 in Paradise, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. MARY was born 1727 in Lancaster, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She died 18 Sep 1757 in Paradise, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.They had the following children:
- 15 F i. LEAH ferree-10363 was born about 19 Aug 1757 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania;. She died d. May 08, 1841. LEAH married (MRIN:468) JOHN ADAM LIGHTNER-10414.
JOEL also married (3-MRIN:264) JANE JOHNSTON-10412 on Nov 1759. JOEL also married (4-MRIN:633) SUSAN GREEN-10737 about 1786 in Lancaster County, Penn. SUSAN was born after 1735. She died about 1786 in Bart twp, Lancaster, Pennsylvania..
9. Isaac Free or Ferree ????-9631 (ISAAC LEININGER Ferree , Daniel FERREE**, daniel FERREE, Jean Fiere) was born 1740. Isaac married (MRIN:4499) MARY COPELAND ???-9814. They had the following children:
- + 16 F i. Leah or Virginia Free or Ferree -8758 was born 1750/1751 or 1766 and died 18 Aug 1839. Leah married (MRIN:4468) William Sexton-8757, son of John Sexton-8776 (MRIN:4498), about 1785 in , Montgomery, Virginia. William was born 11 Feb 1747 or 4 Feb 1748 in New River, Grayson, Virginia. He died 31 Dec 1829/1830 in Corbin, Whitley, Kentucky and was buried in Old Sexson Cemetery, Near Corbin, Whitely Kentucky.
THEORIES OF ANCESTRY
All descendants have tried to connect here to the Ferree family of Lancaster county Pennsylvania BUT this far she DOES NOT CONNECT in any possible logical and documented way.
- I have recently seen a reference suggesting that Leah's maiden name was in fact Ferree, but I have been unable to substantiate this.
- History of Lancaster County PA: Leah Ferree daughter of Isaac Ferree m. William Sexson.
- She has been stated as being the daughter of - ISAAC FERREE-10419 was born 1725 in Paradise, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He died 1759 in , Rowan, North Carolin. ISAAC married (MRIN:1363) ELIZABETH FORBUSH-10362 about 1749. ELIZABETH was born 1728. She died 1804 in , Surry, North Carolina. (SEE ABOVE) NOTE there has been one who has been pushing this without VALADATION as she calls it when others questions her theory and documetation of it she gets irriate and defensive over it
- I believe Leah was the daughter of Isaac Ferree and Elizabeth Forbush born appx. 1745 to 1751, VA. I am at a brick wall. The Sexton's have decided Leah was born in 1766 which makes the first three children not hers. This is obviously not possible since Isaac died in 1759 and the three children in question are named after the Forbush and Ferrees.
- Leah is [a common name] mentioned in all of the family lines of the Ferrees and Dubois'. Leah is a common name in the Dubois family. The names of William [Sexton] and Leah's first three children (plus Leah's name Isaac's mother Leah Dubois) were Olivia, Isaac & Archibald. Archibald Dubois was Leah Dubois Ferree's father. Elizabeth Forbush Free Jones mother was Olivia.
- Isaac[Ferree] married Elizabeth [Forbush] and was the Father of Leah while living in VA (she was not mentioned in George's will therefore would have been of age and probably married
- There children Jacob, Rebecca and Olivia have been validated by court records and letters. Leah is mentioned in all of the family lines of the Ferrees and Dubois NOTE only as a name of females - have not seen mention of a Leah Ferree married to William Sexton/sexson in any DOCUMENTED Ferree history
- I am still searching for validation that this is the daughter of Isaac Free/Ferree, that married William Sexton/Saxton. The History of Whitely County KY states she was the "daughter of Isaac Ferree formerly of PA". There are many references to her in family lines but I have not found church or court records that mention her
- She has been stated to be the daughter of Isaac Feree born 1740 married Mary Copeland (SEE ABOVE) the only Mary Copeland married Joel Ferree andISAAC FERREE-10383 was born 1740. ISAAC married (MRIN:625) ELIZABETH ELLEMAKER.-10407.
- The information I have on Leah is that she was born in the Lykens Valley of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania in 1788 and married William Sexton. Her siblings were Joel, February 28, 1775 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and died September 24, 1814 in Baltimore, Maryland; Rachael, 1778 in Wicinisco, Pennsylvania; Isaac, 1780 to 1840, born in Wicinisco; Elijah, 1781 in Wicinisco; Susan Barbara 1782 - about 1805 in Wicinisco; Mary, 1784 in Lykens Valley, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania and died in Baltimore in 1853; Jane, 1786 in Lykens Valley; Elizabeth, about 1789 in Lykens Valley; Rebecca, about 1791 in Lykens Valley; Uriah, 1742 in Lykens Valley-1819; Reuben 1794 in Lykens Valley to about 1856 in Mahaska County, Iowa who married Nancy Wells
- Leah as the possible daughter of Isaac Ferree (Free) in Augusta, that leased the Patterson Manor for about 30 years. - - - Re: Chaulkeys Chronicles Vol 2, pg 92: - Isaac Free/Ferree was one of the first occupants of Patterson Manor VA 1740. The property was sold to John Gilmore but not finalized until after his death. Was assigned to his son James Gilmore in 1771.
The children mentioned in Leah's estate papers are, as named in the November 25, 1848 paper signed by Gustavus Clark, clerk of the Probate Court of Lawrence Co., IN., "by his said widow,* towit:
- James Sexson,
- Enoch Sexson,
- Jacob Sexson,
- Peggy Long (wife of Robert Long),
- William Sexson,
- Lemuel Sexson and
- Joel Sexson,
and the following grandchildren by their son Free Sexson,----". In other words, Leah outlived her husband, and when her children learned that they were entitled to money, they filed as Leah's children, not as William's!
and Quoting from the copy of a letter written by Benjamin Swift Sexson [a grandson of william and leah's and was to have been read at a family reunion] ...
William Sexson married Leah Free and settled in Grayson Co., Va., and at the close of the war they were the parents of three children
They resided in Va. until their family increased to ten sons and two daughters whose names were:
- Joel and
There is more, but it is about the next generations. The point of this is that Benjamin says 'William married Leah Free' and 'at the close of the war they were the parents of three children. He also says "their family increased to ten sons and two daughters." And, he names
- Isaac and
as the other three children.
[Since Leah was only born ca 1766, and was married to William in 1785, she couldn't have had three children by 1781. Therefore the unidentified first wife of William's is obvious
William's children by 1st wife unknown:
- olivia jane
William's children by Leah Ferree
- frederick Free
- joel benton
- esom/Easom Isham
- william wallace
- leumel Edward
Daughter of Isaac Free (or Ferree). Married William Sexton Jan. 1, 1782 in Augusta Co., Virginia. Parents of Olivia Jane, Isaac, Archibald, James, Jacob, Enoch, Margaret, Frederick Free, William Wallace, Samuel Lemuel, Joel Banton and Easom. A brick wall was built around Leah's grave but through the years it has collapsed thus creating a pile of rubble. There is no longer a marker for her, but it did read: w/o William
Leah Virginia Sexton's Timeline
January 1, 1766
New River, Grayson County, Virginia, United States
Grayson County, Virginia, United States
Wythe County, Virginia, United States
Grayson, Virginia, United States
September 12, 1785
Grayson, Virginia, United States
Abt 1786/1788 , Wythe, Virginia
1778/1788, , Augusta or Grayson, Virginia
February 16, 1790
Wythe or Grayson, Virginia
December 16, 1791
Virginia, United States