|Birthplace:||Middletown, Monmouth County, New Jersey|
|Death:||Died in Cocke County, Tennessee, United States|
Son of William Huff and Elizabeth Huff
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Leonard Huff
About Leonard Huff
- 1743 - Elizabeth Stout
- 1799 - Elizabeth Scrubbs
- Leonard Huff Born 1720 Germany
We believe that Leonard Huff Sr. with his wife, Elizabeth are the parents of the 5 sons and 1 daughter, listed here. There are possibly two other sons.
We believe this because;
1-We have sibling relationships, established to our satisfaction, between the 6 children (at least). 2-We have established the parent relationship to John and Leonard, Jr.(at least), so the parent relationship to the other 4 children is a “given.”
3-Evidence that Leonard, Sr. lived in Hampshire County,Virginia, comes to us from his participation as a witness to the will of Michael Stump, in Hampshire County in 1768. "Early Records of Hampshire County West Virginia", by Clara M. Sage and Laura S. Jones. FHL/US/CAN 975.495 R2s, 1969. p. 135.
4-Evidence that he lived in the Roanoke area of Virginia is found by his purchase of land there in 1761, See "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia 1745-1800, Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County", Chalkey, Lyman FHL/US/CAN 075.5916 F2c 1980 p. 372.
5- He was also a surveyor in the Roanoke area from 1773 to 1783. During this period he is listed as an early resident of Bent Mountain in Capt. Martin’s company and he is listed as exempt from paying taxes because of his age and infirmity in 1786 See "Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800" , Summers, Lewis, FHL/US/CAN 975.5 H2sL, 1992, p. 166, 186, 299, 319, 370, 382, 409.
6-There is evidence that he is in Cocke County. Tennessee, in 1788, as a member of Big Pigeon Baptist Church, but is deceased by 1800 when his widow, Elizabeth gives a power of attorney to her son, John. See "On The Waters of Martin's Creek: An annotated catalog of Huffs in Tennessee prior to 1820". Not located at the FHL as it was mission from the shelves. A copy is in The Leonard Huff Family Project notebook;
As we see from his places of residence and the reference to his widow, it is reasonable to conclude that he is the father of the children as we have listed them.
We believe that Leonard was born in Germany and that he was a brother of Lawrence (known in Germany as Lorenz) Huff whose birth in Germany is documented by emigration/immigration records. If it can be proved that Leonard and Lorenz are brothers, then there are three likely places, in Germany, that could be their place of origin; 1- Haunetal, Landkreis (county) of Bad Hersfeld, state of Hessen-Kasse; 2- Mutterstadt; 3- Ludwigshafen. (#2 & #3 are in the Pfalz or Palatinate).
My Mother, Eleanor M. Hall made a note about Leonard Huff. She said that according to a manuscript book by Lucy Mercy Hayes, "Leonard Huff was from Pennsylvania,and was the father of Samuel Huff (married to Sarah Hix).
Descendants of Leonard Huff
- Children: Peter Huff, Samuel Sr. Huff, Leonard Huff, Elizabeth Huff married William Young, Joseph Huff, John N. Huff
Paulus Dirckse-Dirks Hoff ( m. Gertie/Gertje Jannetse Willemse ) is the father of one child and the grandfather of one grandchild. Listed below are details on up to five generations of descendants. Icons after childrens' names link to their family tree charts ancestors and descendant lists descendants. Click here for Paulus Dirckse-Dirks Hoff's ancestors. 1. Derick/Dirck/Dirkse Pauluszen Hoff ancestorsdescendants (1640 - 1722) m. Sarah Willemeese /Yates Jeets m. Alghie Teunnise
1. William Hoff ancestorsdescendants (April 20, 1685 - October 30, 1742) m. Elizabeth Leonard
1. Leonard Huff ancestorsdescendants (1720 - 1810) m. Elizabeth UNKNOWN m. Elizabeth Unknown
1. Peter Huff ancestors (1749 - 1830) 2. Joseph Huff ancestorsdescendants (1750 - September 27, 1827) m. Elizabeth Huff
1. Elizabeth Huff ancestorsdescendants (1777 - September 24, 1858) 3. Samuel Huff ancestorsdescendants (1750 - 1815)
1. Samuel Allen Huff ancestorsdescendants (August 18, 1773 - June 24, 1845) 4. Samuel Huff ancestorsdescendants (1750 - 1822) m. Sarah Hix
1. Elizabeth Huff ancestors ( - ) 2. Frances Huff ancestors ( - ) 3. John Huff ancestors ( - ) 4. Nancy Huff ancestors ( - ) 5. Richard Huff ancestors ( - ) 6. Samuel Huff ancestors ( - ) 7. Rachel (Huff) Hays ancestors (December 13, 1774 - November 29, 1855) 8. Leonard Huff ancestorsdescendants (1782 - 1851) 9. William Huff ancestors (1782 - ) 10. Sarah (Huff) Denton ancestors (April 16, 1788 - August 23, 1842) 11. Tabitha Huff ancestors (1792 - ) 5. Leonard Huff ancestors (1751 - ) 6. Thomas Huff ancestors (1752 - ) 7. William Huff ancestors (1753 - ) 8. John Nathan Huff ancestorsdescendants (January 19, 1758 - March 14, 1843) m. Elinor Mary Corder
1. Jane Huff ancestors (1784 - 1865) 2. Isaac Huff ancestors (1786 - 1794) 3. Mary Elizabeth Huff ancestors (1787 - 1821) 4. Nathan Huff ancestors (1789 - 1844) 5. Peter Huff ancestors (1791 - 1807) 6. John Huff ancestorsdescendants (December 23, 1793 - July 13, 1870) 7. Stephen William Huff ancestors (1796 - 1870) 8. Joseph Huff ancestors (1800 - 1846) 9. David V Huff ancestorsdescendants (November 1, 1804 - August 9, 1883) 10. Katie Huff ancestors (1805 - 1826) 11. Thomas Harrison Huff ancestors (1808 - 1858) 12. Elinor Huff ancestors (1809 - 1874) 13. Leonard Corder Huff ancestorsdescendants (July 10, 1811 - July 29, 1873)
Surveyor; Baptist; resided 1749, Middletown, New Jersey. http://www.laurahenderson.com/genealogy/genweb/wc01_269.html
Notes for Leonard (Spouse 1) Served as a munitions maker during the Revolutionary War.
He was a member of the Big Pigeon Baptist Church in Cocke County, TN
Notice in the New York Gazette September 12, 1748
"to be sold; a good plantation at Middletown, a large neck of land called Weycake Neck, about 12 miles from Amboy, and about 30 miles from New York. There is on it two dwelling houses and a barn, about 50 acres cleared, etc. also another tract of 200 acres, etc. Any persons inclining to purchase both or either the said tracts may apply to Leonard Huff, living on premises, or the Elizabeth Huff at Trenton, who will agree on reasonable term and give good title to the same"
Leonard Huff's Timeline
Middletown, Monmouth County, New Jersey
February 22, 1732
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
Weycake Neck, Middletown, New Jersey
American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI)
Botetourt County, Virginia, Colonial America
Halifax County, Virginia
January 19, 1758