About Leopold Levi
His body was interred in Willet St. Cemetary.
Just found this:
The second part of the history of Czechs in Ohio is here :
‘So Gustav Adam, the first Czech immigrant to Ohio, was dead and what happened then? The Czech immigrant torch overtook Jindrich Hladik from Prague and a few Czech Jewish men such as Leopold Levy from Smetanova Lhota u Pisku, Bernard Weidenthal from Vestice u Tabora and Zikmund Stein from Prague. Levy had a fabric store and Stein opened up a little pub on Seneca Street, while Hladik owned a food market. In 1849 inhabited Cleveland also a 22-year-old Abraham Weidenthal whose offspring became excellent journalists.
In 1852 arrived to Cleveland 16 new Czech families and their beginnings were not pretty. Since the women were accustomed going to the town bare-foot and with scarfs tied around their heads, the locals thought of them as Gypsies. The local kids would through stones at them, swear at them and adults would not let them stay in any of the houses. That is why ALL of those 16 families (??? members???) ended up living at the above mentioned, generous Leopold Levi’s small backyard (his house was very small already) for quite some time. They had no money and Mr. Levi was helping to feed them. These Czech men and women would also go to the local slaughter-house where they were given free organs such as lungs, liver, kidneys, tails and legs - parts that were otherwise thrown away into the river - to make additional meals in order to feed their families.
Czech settlers to the area were now outnumbering all other ethic groups. This started a trend that would make Spillville and its environs a predominantly Czech community. The first Czechs came to Winneshiek County purely be chance. When they left Bohemia (mostly from the area of Pisek, Tabor and Cezka Budejovice), their destination was Cleveland, Ohio. There they knew of Leopold Levy who in 1848 had come to Cleveland from Smetanova Lhota, a village not far from their own villages in southern Bohemia. Knowing that in 1852 he had helped a group of Czech migrants get settled, they were drawn to him also. From Levy they learned of the land office at Dubuque, Iowa, and that it was in Winneshiek County (organized January 15, 1851) where government land was then being sold.
By the year’s end in 1860 nine families were living near Spielman’s mill. A hotel and brewery were being built and several trades and craftsmen provided the nucleus of a business center to serve the farmers scattered through Calmar, Washington, Sumner and Jackson townships. The businesses included two merchants, a blacksmith, a wagon maker, a tinsmith, and a master carpenter. And in the early 1860’s twenty-two Spillvillians marched off to the American Civil War.